View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
A DIY recording journal. 
Walrus meat

Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
Good point about the bit of inherent nakedness/lack of affectation with the drums versus amplified string instruments. No distortion pedal to hide behind, no reverb to create a "vibe". I mean sure, you got choices of shells and cymbals and tuning and the physical space they're occupying but it is much less so an exaggerated thing.

Revisiting old recordings is for sure so fucking painful. It is easy I think to fall into the trappings of "well if I was once very fucking bad at this maybe I'm still fucking bad at this even if I'm a bit better now but I'm still at a disadvantage of not being a natural and maybe i've tricked myself why do I even do this blahblahblah". It is also easy to find yourself feeling the opposite once you've made some marginal improvement and feel like you've got shit figured out, only to come back to the prior. Definitely something I've experienced many times and have sort of suffered through as someone who really just isn't a natural at this shit. I think though, there's some reward in sticking it out through the shitty introspection and identifying shortcomings and figuring out solutions around them, and doing that over and over again. That is really probably really the only thing that I enjoy doing in this world, just fixing arbitrary problems.

It is also so funny, I feel the band tyrant thing, cause I am totally that sort of overbearing guy at practice, but I am also such a fucking hack musician. :lol: I'm over here talking some serious shit (and people around are listening to me and taking me seriously..?) and I really am only fairly mediocre at anything other than bass at this point. Which again, I am lucky to have a core team of people who are a lot more talented than me that also put up with my obsessive nitpicky bullshit.

To really derail this incoherent motherfucker into some vague faux-philosophical bullshit: This somehow only half unrelatedly all comes back around to I think, realizing that my brain is fucked up and that I don't think of these things on the level of "hey, we're just here to have fun, music is supposed to be fun". I'm not even sure it's to make music that people like or can relate to, I'm almost positive it's not.

Probably going to continue to rant in this vein a bit later, and hopefully more coherently figure some way of getting back to the human performance and analysis and band dynamics part of this shit. Boring fucking times out here.

Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12