View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Haven't been playing drums much lately... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Haven't been playing drums much lately...
I pretty much haven't touched the things in many weeks.

So i played a little today. I really need to stop taking these big breaks between playing various instruments. Totally feel a bit one step forward two steps back with everything lately.

So i played some drums:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=11440751

(And also the other instrument i practically never play, the bass, same deal)

Then i tried to squash guitars into it, but... i didn't try very hard. :red:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=11440752

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Post Re: Haven't been playing drums much lately...
The bass is nicely growly. What did you record it through?

I like dissonant skronkyness of the guitar'd one. And the harmonic scratching over the chug-bass. The totally bombastic drum intro is an added bonus. I'm used to the busydrums from you, but that bit sound so... metal, while the rest of the song is so not. Thus, it works. :tu:

Is it mere coincidence I could hear, say, David Yow or Mike Patton over this? :lol:

:idk: I think it's cool. :nods:

Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 am
Winston Wolf

Yeah, this was just something i cut and pasted out of the middle of like thirty minutes of justdrums(no real purpose to it, just sort of trying to play the things, and decided why the fuck not record it for later analyzations), so the fill before is mostly unrelated, being more the tail end of whatever-the-fuck-i-was-doing-before, than a proper beginning to whatever-the-fuck-i-was-going-to-do-next, but i liked the way its tempo changes from beginning to end, and it sounded weird to me just starting with the first actual beat of the thing without anything in front. So i retained it, even though it doesn't really fit. :lol:

Bass is SX jazzy almost direct into mixer, but with the Timmy in between, and set for the slightest crunch. Afterwards it is some VST limiter action and i think i bumped the low end a tad wif some EQ. I like lots of mids in bass, so i think that is a big part of the sound it makes.

Guitars, i just generally didn't feel like dealing with much. Tried mic'ing it, but not very hard and was just like "this sucks." So in the end i just ran the tele into the headphone out of the Crate GX15R(ubiquitous timmy in front of it) straight into the mixer and used whatever IR i have in Boogex(i think it is one of the guitar hacks ones?). Still sucks, but slightly better than the mic'd one.

Drums are straight up two mic. MXL2001 overhead center, Ratshack PZM in the kick. Moderate compression on the overhead with minimal EQ(slight smooving of the high end) and not much done to the kick at all but hi/lo passing for cleanliness'(or OCD's) sake.

As for the almost sound of ghost vocalists, this seems to be what happens when i start with drums, then do bass, then try to do guitars. Definite equal parts Jesus Lizard and Unsane going on. When i listen back to it, i definitely hear Chris Spencer sorts of vocals. (If i had a way to shout sounds at all hours of the day without having to talk to any policemen about it, it would probably have some sounds on it for real. As it is, i find myself too selfconscious about it.)

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:35 pm
Winston Wolf

Actually... the guitars might be the Box Of Rock clone, not the Timmy. They are in the same box, and i vaguely recall deciding to use the BOR on the guitars. The bass is definitely Timmy though.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:54 pm
Walrus meat

This is really cool, man! The interplay between the bass and guitars works really well. And that bass tone is pretty epic considering the signal path.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 pm
Winston Wolf

Yarr, that has been my go-to bass arrangement for a long while now. It makes the noise i like, and there is plenty of signal and frequency range to shape into whatever other type of sound also, if desired.

I like the main guitar part on its own, but my problem is that i like the bass part under it better maybe, and it gets lost(and has a couple errant notes against the guits). I might just mute the guitars for the first couple bars and then bring them back in for the rest though.

I think i prefer the the 'quieter' part without any guitar noise. At least without the guitar noise that is on there at the moment. It was a little bit of... Q: "What the fuck does one do here?" A: "Err... Double the bassline, or... uh... erm... pick noise?" Basically, by the time i got to the guitars, i was starting to get a little lazy wif the olde thought processes. :red: If there were vocals, it would mayhap just be bass+drums there. I have long enjoyed the effect of that arrangement.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm
Best Supporting Actress

This made me want to play guitar today, so that must mean something good.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yarr, it was fun to get the drums moving again a little. I think there might be another couple bits in the drumtrax that i will do a similar thing to over the next few days. I just don't feel like i am forcing myself to play enough lately. Laziness definitely has a tendency to do a job on creativity. I start to feel uncreative, but really, it is even moreso that i am just out of shape, brainwise, for the soundmakings. Which is where i am at now. I kind of feel like i have to fight my way back in.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:53 pm
Walrus meat

I began playing the microkorg after I read/listened to this. :idk: I myself have been trying to get a regiment going with drums, guitars, keyboard and singing bullshit as I am coming close to being ready for recording modez for a particular stupidly long/difficult (for meh) song that's been nagging at me for a long time.

But this is a real cool track, makes me wanna give it a crack at vocals.. I have yet to hear myself recorded and this would be a good way to give it a shot. You wouldn't have words by any chance would you?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 pm
Winston Wolf

Nah, i haven't thought too far ahead on vocals at all.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:10 pm
Walrus meat

I figured not. Hm, I shall see what I can do in the next couple of days.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:12 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

Devtron wrote:
This made me want to play guitar today, so that must mean something good.

this.

It made me want to jam over it for some reason.

Indeed

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:50 pm
Winston Wolf

Sweet dude, this was all about making jamz happen for me, so if jamz happen for you doods then that is swell too.

I thought about fixing some things and doing a different guitar part, but in the end i decided to break it more instead:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=11443706

And that is probably just where i will be leaving it. There is a whole pile of other beats from the original recording that i would rather experiment with instead of brawling this any further at the moment. :red:

I do prefer the intro fill this way though. And the skritchy scratch parts. :lol:

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm
Best Supporting Actress

I dig the fuck outta how you did the intro.

In fact, I am really digging the shit out of the whole new thing. Drums and Bass remind me of RATM a bit, especially the first part after the intro. Guitar is its own little brand of fuckered though.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]