View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Drum Mic Test - MXL990, D112 & SM58 
Walrus meat

Post Re: Drum Mic Test - MXL990, D112 & SM58
chris_d wrote:
I would also say, that you don't necessarily want to go too crazy trying out a billion different things right off the bat.

What i mean is, that the point of messing with the setup should be in response to needs that arise from mixing full band-style arrangements.

Some things, like too soft kick sounds, are obvious. But other things like floor tom tunings and snare mic distances, you can mess with for weeks, only to find, for instance, that the sound you come up with won't cut through your guitars in a mix well enough. Especially if you are just starting with recording drums, and don't really have a learned experience of what will or won't work yet.

In my opinion, the best thing to do once you get decent enough quality(you are there already IMO) is to just jump in with recording full arrangements of the rest of the instruments with the drumsounds that you are getting. Then, in the context of a mix, if you don't like the sound of something, or how it fits, it is easier to know what you need to adjust or do differently.

Once Devandre sends me the files for the drum tracks we programmed I will record scratch practice amp tracks/DI guitars and have them reamped later and get some drums going too. But only once he does that, which I bothered him about three days ago. :hitler:

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:51 am
Best Supporting Actress

Broseidon wrote:
chris_d wrote:
I would also say, that you don't necessarily want to go too crazy trying out a billion different things right off the bat.

What i mean is, that the point of messing with the setup should be in response to needs that arise from mixing full band-style arrangements.

Some things, like too soft kick sounds, are obvious. But other things like floor tom tunings and snare mic distances, you can mess with for weeks, only to find, for instance, that the sound you come up with won't cut through your guitars in a mix well enough. Especially if you are just starting with recording drums, and don't really have a learned experience of what will or won't work yet.

In my opinion, the best thing to do once you get decent enough quality(you are there already IMO) is to just jump in with recording full arrangements of the rest of the instruments with the drumsounds that you are getting. Then, in the context of a mix, if you don't like the sound of something, or how it fits, it is easier to know what you need to adjust or do differently.

Once Devandre sends me the files for the drum tracks we programmed I will record scratch practice amp tracks/DI guitars and have them reamped later and get some drums going too. But only once he does that, which I bothered him about three days ago. :hitler:

Motherfucker I've been busy building games.

And I done did dat.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
Walrus meat

VIDEO GAMES ARE FOR NERDS.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2