View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Devin makes soundtracks! 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Devin makes soundtracks!
It came together very well i think. There is really only one part of it that seems off to me and it is the chords of the distorted guitars when they come in. They seem mismatched, mood-wise, to the rest of the toon, and also to that section of the video.

The chords seem to lean minor, or even a little dissonant. But to me, that section of the video should be even more major, clear and end on an up note.

What you have sounds like finality to me, even a slight disintegration of the orderly nature of the thing up to that point, but i think maybe it would be served better with resolution. Possibly, even with the notes themselves ascending rather than descending, and for sure, with the chords formed between the backing trax and guitar being nice clear happy sounds.

Everything else seems to me to be so well mood-matched and pacing-appropriate. Just the last section with the guitars sounds a little off to me. More for what the video is, than for what the music is, i should clarify. If it was your own toons, then i actually like the guitars doing that. But for the porpoise of this particular video, i don't know if it is 100% right, there. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Yeah the last part was the more recent addition, where the first two were essentially already pitched and noted on. I am pretty sure I will end up moving the last section forward a measure to line up the transition to the "Our Goal" scene.

I am not entirely sure the distorted guit is going to stay, and almost definitely not in its current incarnation. I will probably end up using the same chords but just distorting them A) because I'm lazy and more important B) because I know they will work.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Changing the progression up a little at the end could work too. Just, for what it is, you shouldn't worry about going OTT with simplicity either.

But, f'rinstance, if the main chords go Bmaj-Dmaj-Amaj-Bmaj.

And the current distorted outro bit goes Bmaj-Dmaj-Emaj-Amaj-Dmaj-Cmaj.

Then maybe the outro bit might instead go Bmaj-Dmaj-Emaj-Gmaj-Amaj-Bmaj, where each chord ascends so that the last Bmaj is an octave above the first. You know, just embrace fullstop, the triumphant "happy sound".ª

ª[While also quietly almostquoting Stepping Stone by the Monkees, for the subliminals (though the actual lyrical content of that song is on about a different angle, the title is appropriate for this vidsubject.)] (I like doing stupid shit like this in songs, sorry. The basic ascending chord idea seems sound anyhow. :lol: )

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:18 pm
Best Supporting Actress

chris_d wrote:
Changing the progression up a little at the end could work too. Just, for what it is, you shouldn't worry about going OTT with simplicity either.

But, f'rinstance, if the main chords go Bmaj-Dmaj-Amaj-Bmaj.

And the current distorted outro bit goes Bmaj-Dmaj-Emaj-Amaj-Dmaj-Cmaj.

Then maybe the outro bit might instead go Bmaj-Dmaj-Emaj-Gmaj-Amaj-Bmaj, where each chord ascends to that the last Bmaj is an octave above the first. You know just embrace fullstop, the triumphant "happy sound".ª

ª[While also quietly almostquoting Stepping Stone by the Monkees, for the subliminals (though the actual lyrical content of that song is on about a different angle, the title is appropriate for this vidsubject.)] (I like doing stupid shit like this in songs, sorry. The basic ascending chord idea seems sound anyhow. :lol: )

That's a good idea. I'll keep that up my sleeve for the edits. I like to leave room for improvement on my samples, so the final is always an improvement.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
Best Supporting Actress

The entire video got approved so no need to mess with anything, except to polish it up (which I already got a rough start on). I might re-record cleaner cuts of the live guitar bits, but composition-wise everything is staying as is.

Tue May 01, 2012 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2