View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Separation... am I doing it right? 
The Cream Of The Crop

Post Separation... am I doing it right?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8290798/fearedl ... %20xtc.mp3

This is something I've never tried. Instead of just throwing in everything as it is and mixing with just levels + touch of EQ here & there and compression here & there, I thought I'd try EQing everything so there's actually room for everything in my mixes for once. I usually get lucky with guitar tones, I record them/EQ them via the amp so they kind of naturally fit and leave room for the snare/vocals/bass/everything else. I did everything as per usual, then put ReaEQ on every track and tinkered.

So, details: 808 > Recto > R125cx with Texas Heats & a Legend 15 (haven't used that fucker in a while) > SM57 on Texas Heat, MD421 on the Legend. EQ'ed with ReaEQ, pretty extensively by my standards of not EQing the guitars at all...

Cleans were Twin. Semi-cleans were XTC. Both through the Randall cab with the same mic setup.

Drums are Metal Machine, routed out and fucked with considerably. Waves SSL is used almost exclusively here for compression.

Bass is Guitar Rig 4 and ReaEQ sucking out like 3db of 200hz.

Intro was lo-fi'ed via TRackS and Decapitator.

I'm especially proud of the low end clarity on this mix. Also: subsonics that aren't fucking everything up. :rawk:

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:31 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Separation... am I doing it right?
There is a fucklot of bottom end here. The bass- the instrument- itself isn't, on phones at least, super toneful, but it is clear and defined. And I say that mostly because it's lots of low low lows without comparatively much action going on up top. Most of what's up the center above the fundamentals of the bass seems to be kick and snare. It works though; it's filling its appropriate role in context as low end sine wave generator. And there's a pretty obvious space where the guitars aren't and the bass is.

Did you highpass the guitars? If so, where?

Tone-wise, the guitars... It's almost not worth mentioning as it's a given they're gonna be fine. Your guitar tones are consistently good.

Another dumb question: did you ever do a high gain clip with the Ecstasy?

I thought the intro was all jacked up until I read the bit about it being intentional. :facepalm: On second listen, the top end crackle distortion- Decapitator?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:25 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Snaxocaster wrote:
There is a fucklot of bottom end here. The bass- the instrument- itself isn't, on phones at least, super toneful, but it is clear and defined. And I say that mostly because it's lots of low low lows without comparatively much action going on up top. Most of what's up the center above the fundamentals of the bass seems to be kick and snare. It works though; it's filling its appropriate role in context as low end sine wave generator. And there's a pretty obvious space where the guitars aren't and the bass is.

There's a little clank from the bass but not much. It mostly blends in with the kick.

Quote:
Did you highpass the guitars? If so, where?

No. Something like a 2.5db dip at 200hz though.

Quote:
Tone-wise, the guitars... It's almost not worth mentioning as it's a given they're gonna be fine. Your guitar tones are consistently good.

Thank you, sir. :monocle:

Quote:
Another dumb question: did you ever do a high gain clip with the Ecstasy?

Yes, but I don't know if I posted it or not? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8290798/101b%20jam.mp3

Quote:
I thought the intro was all jacked up until I read the bit about it being intentional. :facepalm: On second listen, the top end crackle distortion- Decapitator?

Yes.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:17 am
Pendulous

Sounds titties as always, and yes, a bit more 'tidy'

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
It definitely shows what i generally hear as correctly defined separation for metal mixes. Clear and huge, without making any element inside it sound wonky. Very appropriate for the style without suffering any of the less desirable but also commonly present elements that one often comes across in the style. Loud but not too pumpy, clear but not all obviously "weird EQed" to get there.

A lot of your mixes are coming out extremely solid these days, good show! :isay:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:50 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Thank ye, kind fellows.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
chris_d wrote:
It definitely shows what i generally hear as correctly defined separation for metal mixes. Clear and huge, without making any element inside it sound wonky. Very appropriate for the style without suffering any of the less desirable but also commonly present elements that one often comes across in the style. Loud but not too pumpy, clear but not all obviously "weird EQed" to get there.

A lot of your mixes are coming out extremely solid these days, good show! :isay:

What Chris said. Especially the "weird EQed" part. There's nothing that makes me go "I'm fairly certain a [insert source here] doesn't sound like that".

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]