View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Practicing recording... (White Stripes cover) 
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

Yes/No: No
Post Practicing recording... (White Stripes cover)
Everything sound OKish? :idk:

http://soundcloud.com/antonio-l-rosario-colon/blu-orc

Go easy on the vocals, its the first time I ever record myself singing :facepalm:

Mon May 14, 2012 11:54 pm

Post Re: Practicing recording... (White Stripes cover)
fresh ears:

over-reverbed, and I forgot to parallel compress the shit out of the drums... :red:

take 2:
http://soundcloud.com/antonio-l-rosario-colon/blu-orc-2

take 3: Guitars redone with fuzz, new but not improved vocal track (some unintentional clipping that kinda works?)
http://soundcloud.com/antonio-l-rosario ... u-orc-fuzz

Tue May 15, 2012 6:21 am
Pendulous

Recording sounds good! Don't be afraid to sing harder though!

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue May 15, 2012 11:31 am
Walrus meat

What Gee-off said, recording sounds good. Just push the vocals a little harder, you are slightly flat in places and singing louder will improve the tone of your voice as well. Sounds like there is a good voice there, you just have to let it out, breh.

Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More

:red:

But seriously, agreed with the above. Guitars sound good, with and without the fuzz, Push it more when you're singing. 'Cause it sounds like you have a good voice. (And if you find yourself needing to breathe more often or deeper 'cause you're singing louder and it messes up the flow... Punch in. :nods: )

Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Noted and thanks for the compliments! I'm not feeling to great as my sisters cat is at home. When I'm feeling better I'll give the vocals another shot. Maybe I should try turning down the vocals in the headphones I'm using as monitors so I have to push a little more to hear myself? This song has quite a few gaps which makes punching in very easy.

Tue May 15, 2012 11:03 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Re: 'phones, IMO you really just have to find what works for you. I'm normally one of those who sings with one earpiece off so I can hear myself in the room. Though lately I've taken to dialing in a super-glossy "finished" vocal sound in my headphone mix and working off that... It works, too. Especially for quieter stuff.

There's really no right or wrong way. Especially with vocals. A friend of mine prefers the monitors blasting, no headphones, and effects in the cue mix if relevant, often playing guitar. (I usually put her on the other side of the room if possible! :lol: ) Some people rock a handheld mic. Actually, an amusing example- if you check out the stems from various Metallica stuff (generally Rock Band rips), note the shocking amount of bleed on the vocals. Control room, monitors blasting. And that's on huge budget records.

Basically, try a bunch of stuff and see what works. It's not much of an answer, but it's an answer. Pulling the vocal down in the monitor mix probably would help though. Especially if you're only hearing the vocals through the 'phones. There's a tendency to under-sing if the vocal's overpowering everything. Even if it's a big loud rocking song.

Wed May 16, 2012 3:53 am
Winston Wolf

As moast have said, i would like to hear it with you pushing the vocal a bit harder. Much of the charm of the original toon, in my opinion, is the manic abandon with which Mr. White belts it.

Partly the effect of that is that i believe he swings it about an octave up, which is kind of high, and so he seems to just about wind up halfshouting it(which really is basically a cornerstone of his vocal style).

But that is, in my opinion, one of the things that makes the original work as well as it does. That vibe of manic energy exertion.

You sound entirely too calm about the whole thing. Possibly tracking the vocals louder might be a solution. I have found that for vocal energy, i need to really be dealing with a fairly loud headphone situation. It is a bit different than how i track quieter things(in snaxofashion i also tend to do so more quietly with only one earpiece of the headphones on so i can hear my self in the room as well as i can hear the backing). For noisy stuff though i like to track loud.

Also, i think you could let a little more aggression out of the guitar sound. Sounds a bit dry and controlled. Like the vocals actually. I think that for this particular song you could let it drift, the other way, i.e. towards uncontrol. :idk:

All in all though, good work. The second mix is definitely superior, also. :isay:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed May 16, 2012 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]