View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
TUUUURRRRDDD/KKKKWWWWAKKN 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post TUUUURRRRDDD/KKKKWWWWAKKN
Fucking thing sucks.

Wrote moast of the guitar parts like ten years ago or more. Never really figured out a way to make them work.

Still kind of haven't:

TUUUURRRRDDD/KKKKWWWWAKKN.

Not really mixed. Too much drum compression right now. The bottom snare mic is too loud in parts. Bass is shitty(especially at the back end of the thing). Only one (kind of crap) guitar track which is just the scratch track that i used to recoard the drums with. It is a bit too hot these last few days for me to spend extended time in headphones to redo to fix stuff in as i track, so i have just been hacking away quick and ugly at things. [Incidentally, this is also why, Snaxo, i haven't sent you any drums yet. I keep recording them and not liking them.]

Anyhow this particular thing is just a pain in the ass, and has been for a lot of years. I decided to try to force it to some sort of functionality, so i could clear it off the books a bit, and out of the back of my mind. On the upside, this IS better than what i have had for these guitar parts for the last ten years or so that i had abandoned them. But shit is still pretty ugh. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:31 am
Winston Wolf

Post Re: TUUUURRRRDDD/KKKKWWWWAKKN
hmmm I actually like it. Not as violent as I would have thought things are in your head. :poke:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm
Winston Wolf

I have very violent sounds in my head, but they almost always go towards some nonviolent porpoise.

To me, actually violent music requires actually violent vocals. I am not currently living/recoarding in a space where i could recoard such things, so actually violent music is not really an option for me at this point. Also, a lot of things that i post would be of a different flavor if i were to be able to finish them as i started them. Usually, the process of getting them recorded, i find cleans them up and softens the edges enough that they don't do what i had originally intended. They come out much less abrasive in the end.

I guess also, lately i get my inclination towards soundviolence out in sort of a sonically passive aggressive way. Awkward/bad changes, obnoxious repeating bits that i find amusing, songs that don't really end so much as generally stop happening at a sort of place. This is also probably just what happens when someone spends too much time by themselves, and generally not writing with other people, who might be more inclined to call bullshit on... well... bullshit. :red:

I kind of don't ever mean to finish things, so i kind of don't ever do so. Sometimes i just feel like i have lost my focus some, my view of what i want to do with sounds. Other times, i think of the whole thing as a bit more open-ended, like that direction loss is essentially what is going on with most everything else for me too, so why would i expect music be any different. :idk:

Which is kind of a tangent. But one that a friend of mine brought up last night so i am thinking about it. The motherfucker basically scolded me for not causing more trouble in the universe, just getting older and less fired-up, and for just generally putting myself in a spot where i am more and more set-up-for-complete-(REAL)-doom by being too inactive in my pursuit of a higher/more-secure position.

Really though, unlike other times we have talked about shit like this, he was less telling me i should like, take over the eastern seaboard, and more so, just telling me that i should be building a little life raft for the obviously incoming floodtimes that he thinks i am ignoring in my life. The change in tone of the conversations with him about this stuff over the years is interesting.

You never want to hear your friends get on that "i am really concerned for you" sort of angle. I would much rather no one be concerned for me. My requirements for existence are somewhat atypical. Trying to apply normal motivations, and especially aspirations, to how and why i am the way i am, isn't really going to make people who care for me, have rosy thoughts about my place in life. It kind of starts to feel like those discussions with that one aunt of mine who thinks i should hurry up and get a good job, so that i can meet a nice girl and get married.

Which of course, is an even bigger tangent, tacked onto a second tangent, tacked onto the first tangent. :red:

Thinking about all of it, IS kind of making me want to make some proper violent music(AND, like: actual violence) though, so in a way we are full circle and back on topic. :lol:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:47 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Is the riff @ 2:50 the Morse code "TUUUURRRRDDD" riff? :lol:

Also, re: it being too damn hot, it's why I haven't gone to me studio to work on anything loud in a couple weeks. It gets disgusting in there.

Overall, I rather like the thing, so if I may ask, what are you not cool with that's going on here? Is it a specific shittiness or general shittiness?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:16 pm
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
Is the riff @ 2:50 the Morse code "TUUUURRRRDDD" riff? :lol:

It is, but this is the KKKKWWWWAKKN version, and at that, it doesn't spell it out until like 3:40 when it repeats a whole time, if i recall correctly. I seem to have misplaced the piece of paper upon which i had diagrammed it all out. :red:

Snaxocaster wrote:
Overall, I rather like the thing, so if I may ask, what are you not cool with that's going on here? Is it a specific shittiness or general shittiness?

I think actually, now that i have had some time to listen to, and think about, it, that mainly i hate the pacing of that riff that starts at 0:42. Like, coming out of that dissonant-ish intro thing, i don't like that direction maybe. I like playing the part, but in the end, i think i kind of hate the way it sounds? I thought of a different way to play a similar part earlier today. But it doesn't fit in here at all, so i am thinking of just dumping that section entirely for this particular songthing, and using the new way to play the part in some other song as yet to be determined. Just don't know what i want to do in this soon-to-be-vacated space instead.

Also, somehow in trying to record a clean scratch track i seem once again to have screwed up the timing of pretty much all of the transitions and pauses, so that they don't seem to flow correctly to me.

But otherwise, i like okay the first bit, i rather enjoy the part at 2:25(though i am displeased-ish with the drumpart), and i kind of really really enjoy the TUUUURRRRDDD/KKKKWWWWAKKN riff, it being plainly fun for me to play. And i like how it oddloops.

Oh, also, i don't like most of the bass parts throughout. The bass on the possibly-soon-to-be-trashed 0:42 riff strikes me as over-busy and not heavy enough for the porpoise, like i was looking too hard for a solution that didn't quite involve simply doubling the guitar or something. Then, i tried dozens of ways to treat the titular riff on bass, but didn't really come up with any i was super happy with. I kind of like it the way i have it here for the short iteration of that riff, but want to do something different for the long version that ends it. I don't hate what it ended up doing here, which is sort of receding into noodley chaos for most of it and then returning at the veryfuckingend just to hammer the root to finish it. But i also feel like maybe there is a better solution to that noodley chaos that i might find more pleasing.

So that is really kind of basically most of it, i guess. :red:

:idk:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 pm
Winston Wolf

I forgot to poast it when i did it, but there is a version with less smashycompression, and also some extra guitar tracks(same parts as the scratch tracks, just more of them and without some of the counting clues to myself of when things are about to happen). Also also with the bass/drumz pushed back a bit as a natural side effect of having 4-6 guitars instead of one.

Guitars are still just gahetto Crate-stylee tho. I just wanted to see what having more of them might sound like. :idk:

TUUUURRRRDDD/KKKKWWWWAAKN - More Guitars Mix v3.

:dukes:

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]