View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
A Barely Scientific Microphone Test 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: A Barely Scientific Microphone Test
Broseidon wrote:
Ian, Alex and I did some demos before our show inna couple days, figured we'd throw up the short couple that weren't performed too terribly. Playing drums and doing vocals is bullshit. :0

theweepingworm.bandcamp.com

That is some kind of hott shitt, son. :huzzah:

You should poast more of it tho.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 pm
Walrus meat

We're gonna start tracking an EP in the next couple of weeks. These two and about five others. There's another that's of this length and sporadic structure and then four others that are quite a bit more song-y and less linear. Gonna go for a production value not dissimilar to this in it's dirtiness but ya know, actually spend time on the recording and double track gitties. :red: Definitely going for Godcity-band-but-on-drugs vibe. Really working on dialing proper compression.. not trying to pancake shit but I also want some amount of that pump and pull.

Tracking drums I am somewhat nervous about, but we get to take as much time as we want so I'm not tripping too hard. I'm really more concerned about getting really good tones before any processing.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 pm
Walrus meat

So actually here's more: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3deakpujqejgm ... X.mp3?dl=0

This is what we're playing tonight. There are two others one I am sure I will fuck up so we're skipping them :red:

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 pm
Winston Wolf

Fucking rad as shit dude. Definite converge/godcity vibes coming hard.

IMO, this recording needs absolutely nothing. I wouldn't even try to re-record it.

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:11 pm
Walrus meat

Thank ya, bruddah. :huzzah:

We're def gonna re-record it though, Ian and are not particularly happy with our performances. The vocals are live so our playing suffered for it for sure. Def gonna get the same vibe though, probably gonna simulate that dirtiness by smashing an SM58 as a room mic or some shit. I think I've given up on using real room mics in this room. Too many weird phase issues. Just a fucked up mono microphone will do. Digital reverb ain't so bad if you're careful with it.

Might also do something dumb like re-amp the drums echo chamber style in my parents' superverb room though. :red: Get a really shell-heavy mix blasting out into the room into a couple LDCs.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 pm
Walrus meat

Fuckin' with drum tones for this EP. Sounds pretty cool, IMO. Probably need some lows and shit sucked out but I guess I won't know till the actual mix.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2xnvyx0t0o25 ... X.wav?dl=0

Only room mic is an SM58 on the floor that's getting absolutely destroyed and then some stereo verb.

Also, I should add I got this tone the other day that I think is pretty damn hot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm8l2pp128e4r ... T.wav?dl=0

It's my Tele in C# and not Ian's Mosrite copy with a JB in it in A, but I figure it's a good starting point. Heil PR30 where the cone meets the dust cap, sE X1R ribbon in the same spot on the opposite side, both about a couple fingers width off of the cab. Ribbons about 8db quieter than the Heil.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:42 pm
Walrus meat

Back to making bullshit like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ayidz77t1itm ... X.wav?dl=0

Every two years or so I say I'm going to make fucked up hiphop and I might actually manage this time. :red:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm
Walrus meat

New thing we did. Guitars and drums were live, Alex is on the right, I'm on the left. Our homeboy Josh is playing drums. Alex overdubbed the bass. Gotta come up with some dang vocals.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bijg81omnwhgm ... S.wav?dl=0

Working title is Sebadog just because of the tuning. :red:

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm
Winston Wolf

That first bit of it is my current listening flavor of the month. Shoegazey crossed with a pile of sonic youth.

Everything sounds good, snare might be giving some slight vibes of out-of-phaseness(maybe from one of the guitar mics?). Has a bit of "pwauk" to it, though could be a bit of the player's manner of striking also.

I love this type of shit though, and would like to hear where it goes next.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:12 pm
Walrus meat

Glad you dig it, dawgie. :huzzah: I think the weird snare sound is it being tuned quite poorly and the phase relationship between the top and shell mic, those were the only two I threw up on there. I had them aligned but I really don't think it's a very coherent bond between the two. Ended up replacing the top mic with a sample and it sounds a lot better to me.

The sonic youth/shoegaze thing is almost purely incidental/indirect in a lot of ways. I mean I like that kind of stuff but don't listen to the stalwarts of those genres mostly just out of negligence. I should really dig into SY and MBV and all that though, I've just been very lazy about it being more than something I am peripherally aware of.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:37 pm
Winston Wolf

I am all for indirect. I love sonic youth and all that other stuff, but if you are getting to similar places without knowing them, then who cares. Personally, i have kind of tended maybe to not like it much when people have pointed out classic stuff i missed that sounds like stuff i have tried to make, like it kind of ruins the fun part of discovering it firsthand, by actually doing it, even if my personal version is ghetto and smaller in scope/refinement/execution. A big part of me being able to keep writing in the past(i haven't been super prolific lately) was knowing when not to listen to something that someone said sounded like what i was doing. Maybe you are different, but for me that can fuck up my flow.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22