View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
A Barely Scientific Microphone Test 
Scratch mixing the fossil record

Post Re: A Barely Scientific Microphone Test
https://soundcloud.com/neuedeutschland/one-hour

just for shits and grins-- someone over at the guitar amp board posted up a 'one hour challenge' to bust out a song written, played, recorded, and mixed... in an hour.

i threw this out. SUPER loose, kinda going on the in a silent way/dirty three/boxhead ensemble-y sorta groove. i dunno. i kinda like its flow even though its just a super simple moving chord or two. it was fun to just REALLY work super fast and basically improv knowing there was no refining to be done- i kinda think doing that sorta biz is good for your brain now and again. not always perfect.. but at the same time-- some of the chord shifts sorta surprised me as to how they came together.

anyhow.. everything recorded with one mic at a time-- a fathead, into a warm preamp. didn't even change settings, just moved the mic if it was too loud. hell.. i didn't even use a different amp for the bass-- i used my carmen ghia and just changed speakers on my rig. :D the organ tones are a casio keyboard through a fender frontman. drums are all played with a mouse on two separate tracks. talkin' some serious basic shit here recorded with a nice pre and mic.. :D

anyhow-- for your perusal!

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:17 am
Walrus meat

Holy shit, this sounds great. I've been thinking about getting a couple of those WA12s and this is reinforcing my lust..

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:00 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 0FINAL.wav

Very liberal interpretation of a GBV song.

Aidan (who guitars and sings in Matlock) playing my Dano 12 and singing, Ian (who drums in Matlock) on bass, and myself on drums playing the typically distasteful spaz drums. :red:

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Broseidon wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13745148/AS%20WE%20GO%20UP%20MIX%20FINAL.wav

Aidan (who guitars and sings in Matlock) playing my Dano 12 and singing, Ian (who drums in Matlock) on bass, and myself on drums playing the typically distasteful spaz drums. :red:

holy cow.. just had me a sunday morning singalong :D.

awesome. love that song!

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:37 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Broseidon wrote:
Holy shit, this sounds great. I've been thinking about getting a couple of those WA12s and this is reinforcing my lust..

Yeah, those are some seriously big sounds. Part of it's the Fathead, granted, but from what I've heard of Dan's recordings with the WA12, they embiggen everything. :nods:

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:25 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No

That casio/frontman combo actually sounds awesome/perfect in context. :huzzah:

Broseidon wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13745148/AS%20WE%20GO%20UP%20MIX%20FINAL.wav

This is just a classy clusterfucked cover here. Is such a boss song.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:07 pm
Walrus meat

Thanks, doodz. :huzzah: The ol' One Take Willy on that one, seemed inappropriate to do anything else considering. :red:

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:40 am

meanwhiles gents.. thanks for the kind words! i didn't even realize i'd posted this in this thread completely by mistake.. sorry about that-- i think i just clicked in from the main screen-- sorry for bogin' the wrong thread! :D

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 am
Walrus meat

Considering the nature and circumstances of the recording and the title of this thread, it's probably the most relevant of anything that's been posted in here in a long time. :lol: I thought it was quite fitting, meself. :isay:

I think tomorrow that I am going to try something similar, the idea of one hour allotted for everything is really bonkers to me. I think playing around with stuff like that would seriously streamline my workflow and force me to really internalize what is "the right thing to do" in any given situation.

Aidan and I will be covering an abridged version of this song:

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:54 am
Walrus meat

Alright, so:

Whatever Brains cover, myself on guitar, keys and first guitar solo. Alex on da bass. Aidan playing the last solo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... OBABLY.wav

Smiths cover, Aidan on guitar and vocals.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 0FINAL.wav

Bodyjar cover (Bomb! The Music Industry-style), Ian on guitar and vocals, and he programmed the drums. That is an HM-2, btw. :red:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20YEAH.wav

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm
Winston Wolf

That La's record is so fucking good. I always wanted to do Looking Glass... but i can't really do covers. :red:

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 pm
Winston Wolf

Solo on the Clot is goofballs. I don't think i really like it, but it does have a certain thing going on. :lol:

I dunno that Bodyjar (or any bodyjar) song. Sounds like it wants a bass to me.

One doesn't hear nearly enough foalks doing smiffs songs, imo. I pretty much always like hearing it though.

Sounds like you guys are having fun and getting some cool shit done. Such a thing is fantastic. :huzzah:

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:55 pm
Walrus meat

Well, then you might like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20GOES.wav

Aidan on guitar and vocals, Alex on cigar box fretless, Colin on Tambo, myself on keys.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 am

Broseidon wrote:
Considering the nature and circumstances of the recording and the title of this thread, it's probably the most relevant of anything that's been posted in here in a long time. :lol: I thought it was quite fitting, meself. :isay:

I think tomorrow that I am going to try something similar, the idea of one hour allotted for everything is really bonkers to me. I think playing around with stuff like that would seriously streamline my workflow and force me to really internalize what is "the right thing to do" in any given situation.

Aidan and I will be covering an abridged version of this song:

aw man-- do it. it's pure instinct operation at that point blasting through something at that pace, and it's full of Bob Ross like happy accidents... or potential trainwrecks.. but hopefullly after beating on exercises like this some of 'em get winnowed out. :D

i know that if i get too wrapped up in the ponderous bigness of recording, sometimes it seems like a big immovable thing compared to the simplicity of the 4 track days- and man does this get right to the heart of things DESPITE having way better tools. it's nice to get results you like and STILL just blast forward and have the capacity to make fast decisions that can sound good. well.. hopefully. :D

kinda liberating to mix the cheap and dirty-ness of cassette 4 track 'push play and go', and the niceties of a DAW. lord is an hour not a lot of time...

Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:39 am
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
Solo on the Clot is goofballs. I don't think i really like it, but it does have a certain thing going on. :lol:

I dunno that Bodyjar (or any bodyjar) song. Sounds like it wants a bass to me.

One doesn't hear nearly enough foalks doing smiffs songs, imo. I pretty much always like hearing it though.

Sounds like you guys are having fun and getting some cool shit done. Such a thing is fantastic. :huzzah:

Re: the Bodyjar cover, no bassy by nature. This is technically a Spaghetti Time song (Ian's drum machine and no bass punk band :lol:) Also, I should mention that the Meshuggah ending is not in the end of the original at all. :lol:

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:26 pm
Walrus meat

newholland wrote:
aw man-- do it. it's pure instinct operation at that point blasting through something at that pace, and it's full of Bob Ross like happy accidents... or potential trainwrecks.. but hopefullly after beating on exercises like this some of 'em get winnowed out. :D

i know that if i get too wrapped up in the ponderous bigness of recording, sometimes it seems like a big immovable thing compared to the simplicity of the 4 track days- and man does this get right to the heart of things DESPITE having way better tools. it's nice to get results you like and STILL just blast forward and have the capacity to make fast decisions that can sound good. well.. hopefully. :D

kinda liberating to mix the cheap and dirty-ness of cassette 4 track 'push play and go', and the niceties of a DAW. lord is an hour not a lot of time...

We ended up doing the La's cover just like this. Tracked bass and guitar live, overdubbed vocals, tambo and keyboard in like no fuckin' time. Technically it took longer than an hour, but that is accommodating extended non-working, drug breaks. :red: :lol: That is kinda how all these covers have gone, very minimal takes and setup time. It is kind of working like a crash course in recording, and I am digging it. :red:

Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:30 pm
Walrus meat

BEHOLD:

https://soundcloud.com/cameron-heck/party-mix-sampler

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:06 pm
Winston Wolf

Heavy Animal Collective vibes, Brother Heck. Seal interlude detracts from the vibe somewhat(-ish), but as a whole it is smoove. :huzzah:

Prolly gives a bit of insight to how they put the recoards together, no? Sampling something bad, but sampling it badly, sometimes is the best way.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:04 pm
Walrus meat

The AnCo leanings are very much intentional, and thank ya. :isay: Beeteedubz, that's unplugged telecaster, mattress strikes, and a bird in our yard for the first half. Obviously, super abused. It's going to be looped for much longer, and lives at the end of another song. These are bits from Dead Family Dog tunes, which has actually been thrust to the forefront of priorities after having been put on the backburner. Matlock full length stuff is being postponed due to multiple reasons.

P.S. the seal bit is going to sort of be like a super unsettling standalone outro, a distraction to let us tune up/swap gear/drink some beer or whatever it may be.

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:51 pm
Walrus meat

Ah, and additionally: these are just sort of underlying bits to serve as a platform for the whole band to jam over. Shit is gonna get whacky dense. :red:

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next