View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Studio drum shizzle. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Studio drum shizzle.
I've done worse on the vocal layers, but I suppose I have a fetish for that sort of thing. It's all doubled, save for the highest harmonies in the chorus, which are quad-tracked. I think it's twelve tracks? Wait, no, the megaphone is an extra not-doubled track, so thirteen... (Thank you tor, for the, er, megaphone...) I'd have to double-check to make sure. The mix is sparse enough there's room for everything to go nuts, and it can get better and more detailed from here, especially if we keep with the guitar version. I'm not Captain Awesome as a singer, but I'd like to think I can write an arrangement.

I am not entirely sure where this needs to go.

The guitar + synth mix is my favorite, too. It seems the most energetic of both, and, well, the most fun. We'll see.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am
Simethicone

As it's time to start working on these songs again, going back and referencing the vocals here. (SAVE ALL MIXES. Anything that gets bounced without obvious fuckups, save it as its own thing so you can reference exactly.)

They are tight doubles, the vocals. A useful skill, to sing the same thing the exact same way; rarely here am I deviating on the doubles and it's intentional (obvious harmonies) where I do*. 'S just like double tracking guitars. Only better. Also, the only place I deviate from strict Catholic L/C/R panning (outside of stereo synths, which are what they are) to achieve the effect, perhaps best perceived in headphones.

*- I like to do this a lot where I jump significantly above the main melody for a note. The doing of which is probably a sign I like too many girlsingers, the adding a needless high note in the middle of a phrase.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 am
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

Yes/No: No
I like the guitar-synth mix best but I think the main melody sounds better on guitar. It kinda works better with the voice giving the song a little more life and energy. Its the only thing I'd change, everything else sounds great :tu:

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:06 am
Simethicone

It's funny, 'cause that melody line, on guitar, is so very rawk, with the bent notes, the vibrato, how it changes halfway through the verse from single notes to chords- it's played in a very specific way. Hearing the track soloed or hearing the song played live, it's obviously very much lead guitar. Yet it's the first thing I'd let go- I've thought from the beginning of dumping it for synth, first an analog monosynth à la* Metric, because it's really the third of the harmony that drives it, not the root, but wound up doing it as a chord-y thing on some random Prophet patch I wrote down somewhere.

*- Yay! I finally sorted out how to do the goddamn accent properly vs. having to write á la, for example, which is improper. Of course, fucking American spell czechers, want to see résumé as resume, which is not correct, for example.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2