View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Sounds From The Cave On Trash Mountain. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Sounds From The Cave On Trash Mountain.
My voice has been a bit off for a couple weeks, so i was meaning to go back and do better of these, but you know by now how that intention tends to go with me.

Ultraflame.
Jennifer Fear.
Broken Hearter.
A Tale Of Hands.
RE: The Fall.

I must say, i am pretty into the guitar sound on that first one. Gloriously awful/good. I played that pedal/amp setup like that for pretty much two days straight.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:24 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
The cleanish vocal 'verb is a nice contrast on Ultraflame there. What is that amp/pedal combination, anyhoo, and what are you tuned to? 'Cause that's some explodasludge monstrostity. :nods: Might just be a mic + placement thing, 'cause I'm hearing it on A Tale of Hands, too, the blown-out bottom end.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:47 am
Winston Wolf

Tale Of Hands is the lower gain side of the JCA50 into a 4x12 with a mix of g12h30, v30 and two sammi wannabe greenbacks. Mic is back a bit to get mostly sammi but a decent ammount of g12h30 too. The speakers aren't what is blownout bassing though. The low end on that is mostly the product of fucking with the amp settings in conjunction moving the mic (MCA SP-1) around a bunch until it sounded what i wanted it to(which is to say, about a reasonable approximation of what i had in the room).

Ultraflame is basically the same exact setup and mic position but with the Tor Fuzz turned on. It will ultimately destroy low end if set to that end of the spectrum. Kind of like a really fucked up IC big muff, but with what i hear as more teef and less smoove than the muff has to its clipping. In person it is a nice complex sort of broken lava melting walls sort of thing that i am sure that my neighbors all fucking love. :red:

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm
Winston Wolf

Oh, and IIRC that is tuned to like drop C? Ish?

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:23 pm
Winston Wolf

ssdd.

Every Single One That I Have Known.

Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:13 pm
Walrus meat

Really dig when you do this garagepop sort of sound, I need to actually make myself track drums to one or two of these if you are not going to. :red:

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:49 pm
Winston Wolf

Aye, i have been so so lazy about playing drums lately. Last week was the first i have touched them in like six months or something. When i let it go that long, i basically can't just start right back in and be able to play them well at all. So if i don't keep up with making time for them, i am not even able to use them when i want to on recordings. Which is why basically nothing these days has any drums on them. :red:

I need to work them back into my schedule.

Of course, i am all for you banging away at them as you please.

Be prepared though, if you ever do mess with it, for some pretty inconsistent tempo fluctuations. I basically track just about everything guitar and voice live, and so my hands sometimes lag or rush randomly/alternately if i am thinking less about time/rhythm and more about chords/notes... :red: When i have gone back and tried to play along with some of these sorts of things, i have been somewhat frustrated in parts by the fashion in which they play a bit loosely with teh concept of consistency of pace. :lol:

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:44 am
Simethicone

Same fuzz on this? 'Cause that's a gnarlyass wall of gnar. :nods:

The drier, almost intelligible vocals are a change. They work.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:26 pm
Winston Wolf

Thatfuzz is actually a Behringer SF300 (Boss FZ-2 copy) which is indeed rad as fuck, though like the FZ-2 proper and indeed the Superfuzz it kind of comes from, has a uniquely aggressive set of hatreds towards very specific chord voicings, which are almost, but not quite fully, random in their occurrence. Keep it major barre and it don't give a fuck though.

It has a lovely angry mids thing that is somehow related to the HM-2 to my ears but, with none of the smoove. This one is all razor blades.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:48 pm
Pendulous

Yeah wow that Ultraflame toan is just... Molten. Nice. :unstrung:

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:00 pm
Winston Wolf

Might be more of that type of biz(awful guitfuzzmess) in the future. That Sunn Alpha that i had in for a friend recently, now belongs to me, and horrible fuzzmess is literally all that thing is good for. :dick:

This is not that sort though:

Bonus For No Alarms Triggered.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:47 pm
Simethicone

:love: the backing vocals. That's a nice touch. Along with a little deeper vocal than I'm used to hearing. The "cassette recorder in the room picking up the stereo in 1968" vibe is strong with this one, and that's a good thing. There's a feel of wistful nostalgia here.

How'd you wind up in permanent possession of the Sunn Alpha, anyhoo?

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:53 pm
Winston Wolf

Tanks snaxo. Originally the vocal was just two different parts there one after the other, then i just got curious as to what they would both sound like together, so that is why the higher and lower parts sounds like they keep switching two reverbs between them. The verb is a bit OTT imo, as well as just across the board there are some oddball levels and weird resonances through the whole thing. In teh end though, it all kind of adds up to have what i thought was kind of a interesting vibe, like you say. Feel like it needs a something else in general, like maybe another part to actually end it, and/or a more elegant solution to getting back into the first bit, if indeed it should even go back into that anyhow... Probably never touch it again though. I am not a good person.

The Sunn 'as fallen into me clutches because 1. my friend hated the sound of it, 2. his attempts to sell it on craigslist for a fair price(they seem to sit around $400+ as a base most of the time) were rebuffed by stoner doom kids being generally flakey and unreliable, 3. it began to develop a pretty impressive series of disintegrations and cracks in one of its speaker cones, and 4. my friend got so tired of dealing with 1-3 that he offered it to me for more of a proper steal. Eighty bucks and it is mine. Some elmers glue papier mache patchwork on the cone, and it sounds just as good/bad as it ever did.

I couldn't say no, even though i was kind of excited about the half drawn up project i had begun to kick around to build a clone of the circuit for myself using an old yamaha PA amp that has been kicking around more or less nonfunctionally in my basement for years now, as a donor. Oh well.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:39 pm
Winston Wolf

Hands have generally been on and off, too fucked up to play guitar for the last 3-4 weeks or so. Haven't played for a bit longer than that though.

Recorded a bunch of things since the last poasted ones, but ones that were even too sketchy sounding for me to post, which is saying something for sure. Kind of intended to re-record them, but... well, you know.

Anyhow, kind of trying to get back into the swing of things, at least before i stick another blade into my fretting hand... :red:

What You Are Is Sinking.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Winston Wolf

One from a while ago that i tried to do more to yesterday but failed, and ended up just ditching everything else and leaving the scratch tracks. Which is pretty often how it goes for me.

An Opinion On The Functionality Of A Thing.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:47 pm
Winston Wolf

A Sort Of Same.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:47 pm
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
One from a while ago that i tried to do more to yesterday but failed, and ended up just ditching everything else and leaving the scratch tracks. Which is pretty often how it goes for me.

An Opinion On The Functionality Of A Thing.

I suppose I'm generally too conventional-glossy in my methodology to leave the scratch track most of the time, unless it's some unrepeatable noise thing. At which point I kick myself for not figuring out what, precisely, I was doing in the first place to get there. :lol: Again with they pretty dry vocals, which works, IMO, and brings me to my next question re: both of these:

chris_d wrote:

What's going on guitar-wise, here? It took me a bit to pick up on the latter track being a clean electric rather than a quirky lo-fi steel string. Color me curious about the micing and guitar choice, especially. I'll go out on a limb and guess it's your quasi-Vox-homebrew map?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 pm
Winston Wolf

Functionality Of A Thing is my MIM telecaster(SC-sized GFS humbuckers), into the Jet City JCA50, clean(er) side, into my 4x12(2 greenbackalikes, 1 V30, 1 G12H30). Mic'ed with a single MCA SP1(cheapo SDC in a big body) sitting on a chair about 3-4 feet in front of the cab. Oh yeah, and a Behringer RV600 in the FX loop, set on one of the spring reverb settings.

A Sort Of Same, is the Pinecaster MkI(standard telecaster vintage type single coils) through an almost no-gain-setting timmy, a behringer RV600, My own homemade 6v6 voxamathing head, and then the shittiest crate 12" speaker in the world. That one is mic'ed with the MCA SP1 hanging almost dead center on the speaker, out about four inches.

As for scratch tracks. I get kind of crazy about stuff. And i tend to really get attached to very specific oddities in performances. I start to only like the first or second time i ever did something. Kind of way too much. Usually, if i can't get it in one to three shots, i will just move on to something else and try it again the next day. Sort of another chance at the 'first take' thing. Otherwise, i start to find myself getting a bit too earnest sounding, like i am chasing what i liked about an earlier take, but chasing it too hard and overcompensating on parts. The more i work on anything, pretty much invariably, the less i like where it winds up. Scratch tracks, on the other hand, i pretty much universally fucking love. :red:

It is i guess worf noting, that both of these, and a lot(actually almost all, as i think of it) of my other shit, are basically what anyone else would consider scratch tracks, and just one take from one end to the next with no overdubbing. I cut stuff out sometimes, like here, i had a bit more space between the "end" of the first thing and the beginning of the guitar that fades out, but it was pretty minor, about three seconds of the decaying notes of the preceding part.

I also cut out an intro guitar thing here that i have been listening to more here and liking more than i did yesterday. Maybe not for this, but it worked fine going into this even though i didn't like it for it yesterday. I dunno.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:58 pm
Winston Wolf

Been doing a lot of this sort of stuff lately:

A New Sort Of Test Signal.

But also a fair bit of this same old sort:

On Paths Paths Of Lesser Resistance.

Kind of ridiculous how much low end comes out of that Princeton.

Fucking thing is tiny, tiny speaker, low power.

Doesn't sound it at all through the mic. Basically the perfect recording amp. :idk:

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:10 pm
Winston Wolf

Well If It Makes Sense To You, Then I Guess That Is What Really Matters.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next