View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Sounds From The Cave On Trash Mountain. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Sounds From The Cave On Trash Mountain.
Strangely beautiful. I really like this one actually. Under all the distortion, there is what sounds like a rather conventionally pretty thing hiding. (Thus the distortion?) I think I like it better produced like this than I would produced in a normal manner. The psychedelic-janglepop-'60s-ish middle section with all the filth on it is appealing.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:55 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Yarr, these things sound way too much too much to me, without scuzz on them. I actually like them like this, while, i tend not to like whatever genre or whatever they might be, if it was just a clean microphone and a correctly recorded guitar and vocal. It would sound a bit too serious to me i think. And i prefer that it sound somewhat more careless, or something. I don't know. I do like these though.

Probably this particular one is a bit more like what a lot of my pile of voices things is like. Kind of folk/pop/dunno. I really don't know where exactly the impetus to make this comes from. But it has been cranking out for quite a few years now.

Anyhoo, the "drums" here are pretty wonky. That is just a drumstick hitting an office chair for the WHUMP for the "snare", and then just me tapping the MXL2001 for the "kick". I didn't try very hard to make the two parts work correctly with each other, like, in a rhythmic sense. At the time, i wasn't sure i would be able to use the sound that it was making anyhow. So it like, isn't really in very good time at all? In the end i just left it that way. :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 am
Winston Wolf

Here is one from i guess last week, that i wasn't sure if i really disliked, or only slightly disliked:

Go Away Pissed.

Parts of it have grown on me since then though. Even though in a general sense, a lot of this stuff lately has been toeing the line IMO, of what one of my old friends would refer to as being a bit too "on the dots", i.e. the fret markers, i.e. overly lazy chord/melody structures. Definitely has for a really long time been a balancing trick for me, between sounds that more naturally occur out of my head and hands, and how hard one might need to fight them to get something different out of them.

In the end, i think i am coming to sort of an understanding with myself though. More or less, if i can't say exactly what it sounds like to me, then it is something validly built. I can far too easily get bogged down with my own little personal aesthetic rules with this stuff(also why i personally could never go to school for music, definitely wired wrong for that), and really, that only gets one spending a year not making any sounds at all. Which didn't work out all that well for me/my brain.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 am
Walrus meat

It is really sort of eerie how much your voice sounds like Josh Homme's, atleast with distortion and whatnot.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:49 pm
Winston Wolf

Broseidon wrote:
It is really sort of eerie how much your voice sounds like Josh Homme's, atleast with distortion and whatnot.

Really? I don't really get that much from myself, though i suppose i haven't heard everything that he's done either. Never 100% got along with the QOTSA stuff. If you are thinking of something in particular from him, could you poast it? Now i have a curious.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 pm
Walrus meat

Don't hear it much, eh? I feel like I hear it to some extent in all the QOTSA singles that I'd imagine you've been subjected to. But this particular low falsettoish sound that is consistent through this song is more like what I was thinking of:

Last edited by Broseidon on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:14 pm
Winston Wolf

Hmm, i still don't hear it. It however may very well be one of those mirror/blindspot things that happens to foalks when looking at/listening to their own stuff. :red:

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:09 am
Winston Wolf

Pseudonyms.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:32 pm
Winston Wolf

Sometimes it is odd to me where things come from.

On The Subject Of Identity Concealment...

As an aside, boy am i getting tired of waiting for my range to return from my year in the wilderness of not using the fucking thing for anything but talking.

Anyhow, sometime when i am feeling a bit less lazy, i should just staple these two things together i guess.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 pm
Winston Wolf

Arquebusier.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:01 am
Winston Wolf

The Ghosts On The Ladders.

This had so much shit attached to it earlier in the day. So many parts and so much bass. This is all that is left.

Eventually a bunch of the similar ones are going to have to fight to the death. I have actually a practically endless supply of things that are too similar to each other, and which will need to fight to the death, as it turns out.

I may need to build an idea Coliseum.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 pm
Winston Wolf

My Years In The Distortion Mines.

Took the first version of this down because i thought i could do better with it.

But now i am kind of giving up on it.

Not sure if/howlong i will leave it up, so hurt your ears now, while you have the chance, i guess. :lol:

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:34 pm
Simethicone

I like your version of British jangle-pop better than actual British jangle-pop. Maybe because I like distortion. Also, the reverb at the end is a nice touch. (The reverb in the... whatever those sections are, actually, is a nice touch in general.)

Going back and listening to the rest, there's a pretty consistent vibe that's running through these. And the massive distortion acts as just about the coolest compressor going, bringing out a ton of little details in the vocal and guitar (and hell, whatever appliance is in the background). It's really appealing. I've actually been surprised by how melodic and structured your material has been of late- I expected something a bit more chaotic from you. Not that this is a bad thing, mind. There's some fine melodies and harmonies here.

Are you considering "releasing" this in any sort of way/format?

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 pm
Winston Wolf

I dunno. Once enough like-sounding decent-enough things could be built and put into some sort of order, i would like it to be somewhat more contained than soundcloud&soundclick are designed to be. Maybe a bandcamp or something, where EPs/albums arrangements of sounds could be put together more easily, because that is how i generally prefer to hear things.

But really, with this stuff, i am more or less just sort of trying to keep moving. They aren't complete "songs" in any normal sense, but they are much more complete recordings than what i usually settle for, the corpses of which litter and clog my harddrives. Actually, that might only be a distinction that only i would make. To you guys these sounds might be about the same as the other stuff i haven't posted. But to me, these are a bit more done, where the rest of my sounds are generally more only so that i won't forget things that have popped into my head.

This stuff is a little more, making something out of those things, even though, i am not really making songs out of them at all. I battled/played with that for a little bit though, and i guess i kind of decided that they don't want to be "songs". Even though some of them seem to flirt with it.

But yeah, so far, what i would consider relatively unrelated ideas, do seem to be kind of sonically held together by the fuzzglue. And for sure, the idea of distortion as a compressor is central to my current brainspace. I would like some more types of distortion to play with though. I think i have to play with the tools a little bit to get the angle i am looking for. I think i would play with some tape sims, but for the quantity i am looking for, i don't think i have the hardware firepower to run enough of them. I will have to mess around a bit.

As for chaos, this part of my soundmaking(which i haven't really poasted much/any of before this thread really, maybe just one or two things) has always been the most organized part. I guess that is just what this sound is about for me, the matching up of things in relative tune and time. Whereas, much of the rest of me, is about trying to make a bunch of shattered dissonance act polite. This on the other hand winds up being a bit of the opposite: trying to make a bunch of too-well-matching colors, clash a bit more so that they get along with me, and so i don't mind being seen around with them. :red:

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 pm
Simethicone

That last paragraph describes it perfectly. :nods:

Dirtbox. Free.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:40 pm
Winston Wolf

Ooh, i think imma like that. Thanks! :huzzah:

Also, i have removed the version of the above that fucks violently with the output volume in that i-don't-know-what-is-is-either section, in lieu of one that just lets it smash into a normal master limiter from beginning to end. The volume thing was a bit much. Though i do kind of miss the OTT effect it had at the end there.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:55 pm
Winston Wolf

HAHAHAHA. I just realized how much this last one sounds like something else. :red:

:facepalm:

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:57 am
Winston Wolf

Interesting. This one *also* seems to have something inside it that i am pretty sure is stolen, but, this time, i don't know what i stole it from. Though, if i am right, it is actually more stolen than the other one.

But You Think It's Shallow.

Just one part of it really. Anybody know? I suspect it might be something i don't listen to on purpose very much, maybe something mainstream supermarket radio style? :idk:

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:48 pm
Winston Wolf

(I hope it is something embarrassingawful.)

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:51 pm
Walrus meat

I have no idea why, but this shit still reminds me so much of QOTSA. :red:

Like, there are definitely different sorts of things going on, but something about the general sensibilities of melody and progression are very similar to my ears.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next