View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
Sounds From The Cave On Trash Mountain. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Sounds From The Cave On Trash Mountain.
Errr...

Every Confusing Instruction Given Twice. Again.

Butbutbut. Ends diff'rently. Sort of.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:28 pm
Winston Wolf

What You Get For Thinking.

I love it when the noisy pedals play along with the radio stations. I didn't move anything to make it fit, those were just the voices that were there in exactly those spots when i stopped playing the guitar.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:19 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Them'r perfect. Call right now. The general unintelligibility of the vocal is part of the charm. There's some of the "caveman industrial" vibe here in parts. Bonus points for the clicking noises, whatever's making those.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:32 pm
Winston Wolf

Clicks are all a ballpoint pen tip tapping a pint glass. The one that pans around is i think pretty much that straight up, and the slower pings ones are pitchshifted down a bit. A crazy version actually had me automating the pitch shift to play notes on the glass, but man was it a sharp/flat clusterfuck.

I also am beginning to think that this computer just doesn't have the balls required to do all of what i am trying to get it to do. I was chalking up an awful lot to just being rhythmically fucking useless, but i think i might actually be having a CPU-taxation issue that makes shit match up with a fairly high degree of inconsistency. I think i will probably have to start working with rendered stems a bit more when tracking. Or like, using way less compression. So yeah, rendered stems.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:43 pm
Winston Wolf

I Think It Is Safe To Stop Referring To What You Do As "Fixing" Things.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:59 pm
Winston Wolf

I Couldn't Resist. Even Though Not Playing For Months Certainly Hasn't Made Me Any Better At It.

I did a lot of versions of this trying to feel different things out that i might like or hate. This is one of the busier ones.

I probably could have edited a non-sloppy take together from all of the shit i recorded, but really, why bother. :red:

EDIT: Fuckit. You Get the wayyy too loud version now. Because i am slightly intoxicated and i think it sounds better? My ears are pretty blown out by now, for sure. Maybe i will put the quieter version back up tomorrow.

:red:

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:39 pm
Winston Wolf

Hmm. Yes. So here is a quieter version of the thing with real drums on it: At A Normal Volume For Sober People.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:48 am
Simethicone

Well, that's a different flavour from the fuzzpop you've been poasting as of late. Any relation or relevance to that project, or Its Own Thing™? I like the breakbeat-ish drumming. I ass-you-me the double kick-sounding part is, in fact, a single pedal? Squishy bass is squishy. Guitar amp for that guy?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:40 pm
Winston Wolf

I am way to out of leg-shape to do that bit on a single pedal right now. :red: That is just the lazy left foot that i never use normally, there.

I dunno, this is just what popped out yesterday.

Sometimes, when i play things on guitar that i like, as guitar things, i have no place for voices in them. I mean, i could record voices on this guitar part, but i won't like the end result at all.

So in general, i tend to get two things with some regularity: 1. just guitars/instrumentally things, or 2. the proper simplistic hobo sounds i have been poasting an awful lot of recently. I pretty much always do both things in kind of a lot of quantity. I might tend to lean a bit one way or the other though, for a period of time.

I actually kind of don't like having both types of thing on the same soundcloud. That isn't how i like to hear them, i prefer them to be separate. I might actually start dumping the nonvocal type on me olde soundclick instead. :idea:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:28 pm
Winston Wolf

Sedimentary, My Dear Watson.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:34 am
Winston Wolf

Everyone's Got A Plan.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:29 pm
Winston Wolf

Sings Your Creature.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:17 pm
Winston Wolf

I actually have a couple better versions of that, but i don't like them as much, because they don't have all of the birds in the middle. :facepalm:

What is wrong with me.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:01 pm
Winston Wolf

Here is one that is (a bit) less wonky, (but almost entirely birdless):

Sings Your Creature. (less birds)

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:07 pm
Simethicone

Okay, Captain (brevet major) Doesn't Sing On Here, for like, years, turns out, of course, to have a fine and distinctive voice, evocative of another era. I even heard low notes in there. :red: There's enough at this point I'd like to hear things in some sort of running order. Maybe that's just me, but I'm an album listener, and there's a coherent sonic thing going here.

The birds are fantastic. Keep the birds. Even if you prefer the performance from the other version, hack together the bit with the birds. They're integral to the vibe of the whole thing.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:04 am
Winston Wolf

Tanks, Herr O'Caster.

Unfortunately, due to the wonky way that i record (main guitar+vox at the same time), the birds are probably an integral bit of that specific 2:40 stretch of time here on trash mountain. It is funny, as i was recording, that fucking bird totally landed right on my window sill about five feet behind me and started going off. I wasn't sure it would even show up (i would have kept going anyhow, i like the random shit the mics catch almost more than what i intend to put into them) but the overdrive/compressor thing really seems to have brought it out nicely.

I guess i could try to just paste a better end section onto that and see how far off it would be tempo- and tone- wise. Really the ending being weirdly out of time with the guitar is my main issue with the bird take. :idk:

Alternately i could just keep recording. The mullberry tree out there is starting to get fruity right now and the result is basically at this point: most daylight hours, several dozen slightly intoxicated small birds just outside my room, shouting about (i assume) how delicious mulberries are once they have had some time to ferment in the sun on the driveway a bit. The less-birded version was merely later in the day as the sun had dropped, and said birds had stumbled off back to their homes(probably in the eaves here, or maybe just in some overgrown brush, if flight impairment might be the case) and so were not available to function as mic bleed elements.

As for orders, i almost have too much already to sort out. Though i suppose that what i have now is more of an idea of which ones i like and which ones i just don't. I could probably try to start with that, just splitting out the ones that i am not really into for whatever reason.

When it was just fourteen or so of them, i actually had it in what i would consider an okay order, but now a few of those fourteen probably would get culled, and i just don't know where the fuck i would put the rest.

As i think of it, even though there is a certain sonic signature to the recordings i probably feel like there are a couple different flavors of thing here. As i here it, some of it to me seems quite basic, almost in a folk sort of fashion, while other seem sort of like some sort of late sixties-ish pop, and while maybe even a third bit seems to be of i don't know maybe a different type of (maybe an earlier era) sixties pop.

I have grown to dislike certain mix choices on several of them also. In the moment i am always all for an ugly low rumbling fuzz sound, but in operation, there are a couple there that i find it a wrong sound now. (Like: Every Confusing Instruction Given Twice, as an example. I rather liked it at the time though, and the clean sound is just the fuzz sound with the volume rolled off as i go.)

Hmm.

I will run into more of a problem soon though. I just haven't felt like stopping to re-organize or think about these things in a bigger picture manner, preferring to simply carry on with whatever new pops into view. But if i just continue as i always have, to just add more on top of what is there, it will somewhat rapidly become something i will be mentally/physically incapable of sorting out probably ever. :red:

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:59 am
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
I will run into more of a problem soon though. I just haven't felt like stopping to re-organize or think about these things in a bigger picture manner, preferring to simply carry on with whatever new pops into view. But if i just continue as i always have, to just add more on top of what is there, it will somewhat rapidly become something i will be mentally/physically incapable of sorting out probably ever. :red:

T-34s, tovarisch. Tanks, comrade. :isay:

Perhaps a producer is in order.

My brain is collapsing having been up since sometime yesterday. Otherwise I'd respond more completely. :panic:

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:36 am
Winston Wolf

All Of The Cliches That Mean Bad Things.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 pm
Winston Wolf

Buyers, Sellers, Builders.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:53 pm
Walrus meat

I am really liking this latest one.

Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next