View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Some old Garda material: studio version 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Some old Garda material: studio version
Hugo (studio version) rough mix

When this was originally recorded, the Roland sampler we were using was on the fritz and was mistriggering, so the stuff our drummer was triggering need to be added by hand. Which I haven't gotten around to doing yet. Ditto synths, and the vocals. I may tamper with the bass a bit; I probably have a better take of the ending. So an instrumental rough mix. And goddamn, experience makes a difference. :red:

Main riff/left hand guitar is, I think, the Diezel Herbert. May be the Mesa Mark III, as I remember that got used, but it sounds like the Diezel to me? Cab would have been the Marshall with Weber Alnicos. Probably the blue PRS. My tracks on the right are Strat --> AC30, 'cept for the distorted bit, where I used the silverburst Tele and an OCD for a little bit of boost- not too much, as the amp was retarded loud. TC G-Major 2 for effects on Chris's guitar. I used my Eventide for delay. All effects are right off the amp. Bass is a Musicman, probably the '79, split into an SVT head and a Sansamp --> Avalon DI box. We wound up tracking the guitars at our place; 57 on Chris's amp, NTK on mine.

For whatever it's worth.

EDIT: Added samples and synths, tweaked bass and a few other things.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 pm
Winston Wolf

Post Re: Some old Garda material: studio version
Surprise. I love it. :isay: Love the sound of the tele in there, plays nicely with the other guitfiddle line. Bass sounds much better n the send go round.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 am
Simethicone

The Tele's way more aggressive sounding- so, perfect for that section. Re: the bass, it's also more audible the second time around. I raised the overall level slightly and sat on the thing with a mastering limiter, actually, which is occasionally fun to do with bass. 'S very smoove.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:16 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
What have you wound up doing with/to the monster snare? It sounds pretty good here actually. :huzzah:

Aslo, wat kick mic?

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:13 pm
Simethicone

D112 in the kick. Dumped the Subkick. If I bring it back, I'd gate the shit out of it. Nice idea, but a bit much in practice, unless it's pointlessly low. Probably just the drums/room combination re: that. Lots of rumble, not much attack. The snare's mostly the side of the shell, RE20 IIRC. I actually wound up replacing the top mic with samples of itself; there was a gate from the SSL that was buggering things up WRT the hats and the ring of the snare, so I took some clean hits that I had, dumped 'em into Logic's built-in drum sampler and dropped them over the top mic by hand. The main verse drums are mostly a loop- the loop point's hiding in the hats. That's a conscious aesthetic choice- it's supposed to be reasonably mechanized sounding anyhow.

I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think there's any compression on the top and side of the snare at all save for a little bit of whatever was used in tracking- I think a Distressor. I compressed the bottom mic with Waves H-Comp. There are two parallel compression busses for the drums, one, an SSL-flavored thing with sends from the individual tracks at various levels, the other a mastering limiter deal with a send from the main drum buss as a whole. Of note, the tom tracks are wide open and actually up pretty high even though there isn't a single acoustic tom hit throughout the whole thing.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]