View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Mesa Electradyne Test 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Mesa Electradyne Test
A short clip of the Electradyne from the other day. Bass and drums are scratch tracks. No synths at the moment, for the sake of guitar clarity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jnr910zs105drw/Electradyne_test.mp3

Left guitar is a... late '70s? Gibson Les Paul Custom with PAFs. Might be '80-'81? I don't recall. Right guitar is a PRS Artist Series Custom 24 with PRS HFS + Vintage Bass. Everything into a Z.Vex Box Of Rock --> Mesa Electradyne --> Marshall 1982 checkerboard 4x12 with Webers, 50w Silver Bells and 50w Blue Dogs. SM57 on a Silver for the rhythm tracks, original Rode NT1 (not the 1A- this sounds totally different- way darker) on a Blue for the lead accents.

If I'm remembering right, the amp was on 45w mode, high gain, with the gain cranked and the master around 10:00, which was A) pretty loud and B) gave nice, controllable feedback. As for amp settings, I honestly don't remember. Bass probably a bit above noon, mids around 2:00, treble probably around 10:00 and presence... Somewhere higher than the treble, at least. Probably around noon-ish.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:24 am
Simethicone

Post Re: Mesa Electradyne Test
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3pu6fqilb6e5vg/OMAHA_GTR_test_no_EQ.mp3

Does what it says on the tin: no EQ on the guitars. (Console & tape sims, compression and room 'verb, yes. EQ, no.) SM57 & NT1.

Clean-ish guitar is my black Strat on the neck pickup --> Fender Super. I think I had an EHX Memory Boy in front for a little tiny bit of delay. 57 only there.

Dirty guitar left is Chris + LP Custom --> Box Of Rock --> Super. We went through a bunch of dirt pedals for his sound, but wound up going back to the BOR. Dirty guitar right is Yours Truly + silverburst Tele --> Electradyne. Straight in, if I'm remembering right. Same Marshall cab from the above post- I used that and the Electradyne for all my dirty tones, with or without pedals.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:34 am
Winston Wolf

that sounds pretty nice and not what I would expect out of a Mesa. My own fault though my only Mesa was a little one I had earlier this year and I really should try one out.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:18 pm
Simethicone

The Electradyne is a lot like the Stiletto, at least the Stiletto's lower gain modes (Fat Clean and Fluid Drive on the Stiletto are their own thing). Neither amp is really representative of Mesa as a whole; they don't bear much resemblance to either the Mark series or the Rectifiers.

The Stiletto honestly made me think of a JMP/Shiva hybrid married to a Recto's power section. The Electradyne, which is less tweaky, being only a single channel with three selectable gain modes (which I don't think change the voicing, just the amount of gain available), seems more like a darker Marshall than anything.

If you dig Marshalls and "improved" Marshalls along Shiva lines, you'd dig the Electradyne and Stiletto. The Marks, which your little guy was based on, are their own thing and don't really resemble anything else in the amp world. They do throw down a fine Smoove Lead Toan, and I'd love to still have one around just for that. And I'll be the odd outlier re: Rectos. I actually never got on with Red/Modern, though it's the amp's iconic sound and plenty of folks have good luck with it. I think it's underrated, though, for the rest of what it does with all the other different channels/modes. Orange/Vintage is a badass rocksound.

We did use some very non-Mesa speakers with it though- the Webers are all old Vox-Celestion clones, just with a higher wattage rating. Chris got a box full of 50-watters so he can use the cab with his Diezel Herbert. :lol: (Which is moderately hilarious. Ubergain dethmedal map + old Vox speakers to play noisy alt-rock.) I think the Silvers are Alnico-magnet speakers as well. I'm sure that affects things a little. V30s, they are not.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 pm
Pendulous

Refined darker Marshall sound... I can dig it.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]