View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Ampeg SVX plugin vs. Sansamp VT Bass vs. OG Sansamp 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Ampeg SVX plugin vs. Sansamp VT Bass vs. OG Sansamp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/53sdxlc3argtn4n/Sansamp_VT_Bass_test_2.wav?dl=0

SVX, Sansamp VT Bass hardware, original Sansamp Bass Driver DI hardware, both Sansamps together.

[EDIT: it's the SVX models run inside Amplitube, as if it makes a difference.]

Cab sim enabled on Sansamp VT Bass, FWIW. Very rough test using a couple old clips plus the DI from said clips to drive the newer hardware.

The hardware is much more "forward" sounding, definitely.

Thoughts?

Also, Sansamp VT Bass with higher gain: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fte68f1o574njr/Sansamp_VT_Bass_DIST_test.wav?dl=0

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: Ampeg SVX plugin vs. Sansamp VT Bass vs. OG Sansamp
First section, slightest hint of vst-like scuzz noted on the edges of some things, maybe something about your input levels? Probably though, just what it sounds like when they write a program to act like transistors+tubes.

Second one is nicely. Something extra present in the low end, and the OD on the edges of the thing is smoover, less scritchy. Seems like i am hearing more of the bass/wood itself here too, however that works, maybe some sort of EQ illusion, or perhaps the difference between SVX's cabsim EQ profile and the pedal's.

Third bit is more along the lines of what it sounds like to me when i run a guitar OD in direct on my bass. Not so much hyped low end crossover sorts of sounds, just a solid realistic amount, that could be jiggered with as needed with one's own eq-ing. A bit dirtier though mayhap. Initially less impressive in EQ bulk, but i wonder if i might not prefer it, foar the type of thing i like/do.

Third one feels less distinct, almost moar muddy to me. I find that i prefer the two hardware ones better on their own. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:42 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Post Re: Ampeg SVX plugin vs. Sansamp VT Bass vs. OG Sansamp
My guess would be it's just mid-2000s amp modeling doing its thing. My input levels' conservative credentials would make Nixon proud.

I'm not sure what to make of the VT Bass's cab sim- it claims to emulate a "multi-mic'd" Ampeg 8x10. Which, truth be told, has never been my favorite cab sonically. But so far I've found it preferable to a software solution for bass cab. Overall I think the hardware is more "forward" sounding and should sit in a mix better.

The original Sansamp is very much its own thing- and it's a useful thing- compared to the VT Bass, which is going out of its way for an Ampeg vibe. I feel it accomplishes this acceptably well. Both do something valuable and are different enough in character. I could probably make both at once useful if I dialed them in for that purpose, rather than just taking two pre-existing tracks and running 'em at once. Maybe some other day.

Re: useful for your own purposes, the original Sansamp, if I recall, is somewhat unique for a pedal in its gain structure? Something along the lines of there being individual gain stages and no clipping diodes? I'd have to ask again; a friend of mine was talking about building one, and that came up.

Also of note re: useful for your porpoises, Behringer has a Sansamp clone for cheap that can be easily modded into something arguably superior than the original, with an additional voicing option, and has and clearer distortion from the start.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]