View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Final mix! 
Scratch mixing the fossil record

Post Final mix!
phew.

here's the final mix of an lp i recorded in september by a band called antelope king.

that was a lotta mixin', but got 'er where i want it, anyhow.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MQEx ... sp=sharing

cool noisy rock record that reminds me of a ton of really cool post punk shit fused at the skull with something like the jesus lizard and the crucifucks. i dunno. i dig it, and since i never post anything here, i figured i would.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:04 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Final mix!
I rather enjoy this. Definitely brings to mind a pile of my favorite niosy noises. :huzzah:

What is the score on how it was recoarded? Microphones and whatnots. Is this in the new(ish) garage? Are you artificially reverbing, or is this real space reflective sounds i am hearing?

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Well lessee-
Guits are 57 and cascade fathead. Amp was a bandmaster with a 212. SG with 57 classics. A heap o pedals.
Bass is a jazz into an swr with a heil pr 40.
Drums are m179 ohs, an akg 451 on crotch, a d112 on kick and a cad e200 on room out about 6 feet.
Vox... Surprise.. Is an sm57!

I used a warm wa12 on crotch and vox and a focusrite trakmaster on bass.

Its à mix of natch room sounds and bricasti sounds- the new geerage has some size. Its 20 x 40 feet big with vaulted ceilings-- so it gets some room sound! But I did augment it a lil bit just to un-dry it some. The rest of it is just faux consoles and tape, eqs, and some phase adjusting on multimic scenarios and compression where it was needed (bass, kick, and vox mostly) with a parallel on the crotch to fatten it and on the room.

Super fun-- super prepared band!

for those curious, i am the simian in the green shirt assuming the dominance posture of engineer and head nerd.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:37 pm
Walrus meat

:huzzah:

Gonna check this out, looks like a lot of fun.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:42 am
Walrus meat

Oh yeah, this is rockin'. :huzzah:

Really digging this guitar tone a lot.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:49 am

agh-- excellent- thanks gents.

it's so nice to have a Very Good Band approach you once in a while :D

criticism welcome, for sure! i think it sounds pretty good, but if things sound weird or unnatural-- i def wanna know. living in the void with it for a coupla month'sll warp out your perception sometimes :D

had i and infinite amount of time to do this, i may've worked harder on softening the vocals and finding a way to negotiate his soft speaking/singing voice being one eq, and his yelling voice which was more head than chest. totally different universes tonally, and i kinda split the difference. i have a hell of a time making myself split every other phrase into a wholly new chain... the data entry portion of recording is loathesome to me.. and spending 100 hours doing envelopes... :P doing MORE.. i'm not sure i'm willing to do-- i just treat the thing like tape, more or less (as in-- more or less global treatments per track).. although there is a fair amount of eq automation, dirt automation, and lots and lots of volume enveloping.

thanks for listening!

Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]