View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
A DIY recording journal. 
Walrus meat

Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
Thank ya, man. :huzzah:

Another one of these shits: https://cryingmanrecords.bandcamp.com/t ... ar-anymore

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:40 pm
Walrus meat

Broseidon wrote:
Thankfully I don't always have to write the tunes, I can just record them and try to make them sound a way: https://www.dropbox.com/s/35sk3xag9a6di ... 1.wav?dl=0

This is my friend Ryan's solo project thing. As you may guess, guitars and bass are direct. Redlined them through my oldie Tascam M-208 mixer and then sent that into the API clone and then proceeded to redline that as well and then it's hitting my DBX 160x hitting a couple of db GR at their loudest. Sounds like a pretty charming sort of shitty, IMO.

Also ain't never recorded this dry of drums before but figured muting the hell out of everything would be cool, wanted to go for a Television sort of production.

This but now with vocals: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nr1cxmlf7brzt ... S.wav?dl=0

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
That link is linkless, señor.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 pm
Walrus meat

Starting to feel like I'm figuring this shit out forreal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7snmp9dmmrl2 ... 2.wav?dl=0

Still a fairly "rough" mix, but it's coming together. Lots of volume and possibly drum compression ratio automation to go, and some EQ tweaks on the snare. Really kind of do not like the way the dirty guitar sounds at the beginning at all, but am very into the tone at the end? Likely just the guitars being much more sync'd up, as the tone is the exact same.

No sample on the snare, but I feel like it has that kind of sound going on where you'd bet that there's some amount of that blended in there in bits. Drums are in our now sort of treated basement, not ideal really but kinda getting away with it. Also, learning to get fucking psycho/drastic with the surgical subtractive EQ has made a big difference; removing weird hiss, room resonance, shitty boxy midrange stuff. There's a rampant amount of 400hz in this room, it's almost always in every mic just flubbin' away. I will virtually eliminate that frequency band completely in certain mics (particularly the room mics). I was very wary to ever do stuff like that until just recently and it's getting me far better (and weirdly natural) results than I could have ever anticipated.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 pm
Walrus meat

Baby's first slammin' mix: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsn85xqt9pm2o ... 2.wav?dl=0

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 pm
Winston Wolf

Both of these are great.

I hear you on the early guitar on the first one. What was the guitar? Sounds like something like a mustang with the pickups set out-of-phase? I feel like you get away with that sound a lot more on the stabbier type of rhythms at the end in general. For those sorts of parts it kind of makes them cut through nicely, i feel. The more single-notey stuff like the beginning of the tune, kind of tends to sound more hollow or something.

Also, what is going on with that awesome bent note in the second part? That is fantastic. :love:

The second song there is definitely a case of: you have figured out how to do these heavy mixes now. :huzzah: LOVE the guitars, sounds like nasty early black flag in the execution, one of my favorite guitar sound flavors. Overall, the mix itself sounds like later Poison Idea(minus the singer) which again is another all time favorite for me, of ways for a mid-fast punkish band to sound. Great!

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:43 am
Walrus meat

Guitar for mathrock track was Thinline, in the middle position with the stock WRs, which are not actually fuckin WRs in those MIM models. :0 It’s a humbucker they put in that big casing, I know because I still have one in the neck position of my Thinline. Those things sound funky as shit and I’m kinda opposed to using middle position on most guitars anyhow. Works great on some, my Mexican Custom Shop Roadworn is one of the best clean tone guitars I’ve heard in the middle, no weird phase-y sounds at all, just almost like a perfect cross over between the two. Super full range of meaty bottom and chime.

Bent note bit is all tapped and I believe the bend was done with his right hand! Todd is really good at geetar and we went pretty crazy over getting that particular part where it needed to be.

Thank you, dawgie. :huzzah: I think for me figuring out a lot of this stuff I just had to force myself to do stuff I didn’t think would work for me. And in a really counterintuitive way of me kinda being like “oh that’s the EASY way that do that stuff”, like the overly slick and plastic production shit. But it’s really not case, I guess? Kinda shot myself in the foot for a long time not being will to do anything I thought seemed too extreme or unnatural.

Glad you dig the second track as well, those two along with a shitload of other tracks I’m tracking are going to go on a bigass benefit comp I’m putting together. Lots of different flavors of punk and rock music.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm
Walrus meat

Been meaning to post this for a bit, as it will be my "major indie label" debut:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Scf8OJ ... sp=sharing

The actual mixing on this will be handled by an up and coming Big Boy sort, a guy named Arthur Rizk who's done the newest Cavalera Conspiracy record and the Power Trip records and a bunch of other shit. This here mix is basically just faders to taste and some compression on the kick and snare (and of course some vocal reverb). Oh, also a little mix bus compression. Stoked to see how this thing is gonna actually turn out. Got to record it in a big fucking warehouse space one of the dudes in the band works at.

Wed May 02, 2018 12:22 am
Winston Wolf

Nice dude, it will definitely be interesting to see where he winds up with it.

Really dig that bass sound, nice level of scuzz to it, but not too much.

Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 am
Walrus meat

Bass is also I think my favorite bit of that. Ric -> Rat -> Mark Bass -> Ampeg 8x10. Very frickin' guitarish bass tone, which I grow more and more fond of.

Mon May 07, 2018 11:49 pm
Walrus meat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rx6xi3ail24b4 ... S.wav?dl=0

Some drums. With some first draft processing, kick I now realize is overly sharp and should have just been tchillin uber up but I’m happy with where they are at anyhow. No room mics weirdly enough, folks’ basement with GJ setup with compression brings up a whole shit ton of room.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:31 pm
Winston Wolf

My friend, this link is 404.

:dick:

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:40 am
Walrus meat

Whoops!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtovixh7es5tm ... S.wav?dl=0

Here is a mix from a few days ago, I think I've really helped it along since this one (got more bottom end on the kick and toms/solidified the low end of the bass) but it's a good representation. This bass is just a scratch test and is just the Sunn 2x10. Still gotta get the RAT-y Bassman in there.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:37 pm
Winston Wolf

Oooh, sounds laser clean this way. Very cool sounds you are getting here. Nice snare, nice guitars, nice cymbal spaces.

Looking forward to hearing the scuzzbass added in.

Is the guitar running a spring reverb pedal or is that after the fact?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:02 pm
Walrus meat

Thank ya, homie. :huzzah: I'm excited for you to hear the other tunes, this one is kind of the most pedestrian as far as flavors go. Also excited to get it mastered as I'm hoping for it to sort of soften that hardness and polish I've got going with some tape-y mush.

Guitar 'verb is the spring reverb on the Blues Jr. half of the bi-amp rig (JCM800 combo is the other half). Alex also runs an EQD Rainbow Machine on at a subtle setting half the time that is doing some kind of weird reverb/delay/modulation that sort of responds (and intensifies) to the dynamics of your playing.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:39 pm
Walrus meat

Thing is coming along, almost done. These three are the closest with the exception of the one I've already posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syiv3se5v237b ... N.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0ytpem8ztsjq ... 2.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15hjg5bibwxmb ... 2.mp3?dl=0

Stoked to get this thing mastered and see how much further that takes it. I'm using some u-He Satin on these to try to get some of that glued transient tape sound but would like for it to be even more.. "gooey". Just can't quite get it there with the plugin without it sounding phony.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 pm
Winston Wolf

Dude.

DUDE.

I am super-amped about these actions. :huzzah:

REAL into the guitar sounds on these.

Toms sound ridiculous, and the snare is 100% ideal.

What kick mic/mics are you mic'ing kicks with these days?

Obviously, i dig the abstract flavor of vocal you are rolling with here, and they all sound great too. I like where they get kind of aggressive, how it is pushed back a bit more. Audible but not centerfrontbrute.

Also dig the bass picking-its-spots angle on the playing, rather than just booming through erryting.

Really cool shit, man.

Song 6 is just about my exact flavor of preference. Right down to the tempo drift/increase at the end. :eyebrows:

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:45 pm
Walrus meat

Stoked you are digging them, homie. :huzzah:

A lot of work/time went into getting tones and figuring out what parts worked best on all this stuff and am definitely more happy than I've been with a production before.

Kick mic here is just a PR40 a couple inches into the port aimed at the beater. It's getting pretty heavily EQ'd in spots but I'm not dipping out as much low mids as one might expect for a mic that doesn't have that built in scoop profile. Lots of band specific saturation though for that hard punch. And then to create an outside mic sub kinda sound the unprocessed kick is being sent to Waves Rbass with a lowpass, IIRC. That channel is also sidechained to the sub of the bass guitar to keep a steady, solid low end. Funniest thing about these drums to me is that it's just 6 mics. I don't think they sound *super* modern or anything but not what you might expect from GJ and a single mic on each shell.

Glad the bass doesn't come across as being.. strange or something. In a bad way. I try not to step on the guitar parts as much as possible so I just end up playing chords a large amount of the time. Lou Barlow's playing on You're Living All Over Me is like 100% of what I'm trying to do.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:04 pm
Walrus meat

Few things I'm working on out of the studio:

Mathgrind stuff. "Bass" is just my EHX Pitchfork down an octave into my green Big Muff RI as a DI.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ohw5uvgmvlik ... 2.mp3?dl=0

GBV kinda band. Still a lot of goofy mix shit I haven't fixed yet on the last however many tracks. Still want to get a cooler overall sound for this thing though.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oh7ks9y6r0fu4 ... 2.mp3?dl=0

Poppy rocky band with Thin Lizzy harmonies, so you know I'm juiced on it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hky2jyqlsg4l ... 3.wav?dl=0

90's screamo style band I recorded a couple days ago. Just drums and guitars so far.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jr17v6jyxgvg ... 1.mp3?dl=0

I have been ridiculously fucking busy between this and my adult job. :red: Shit is weird, but good.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:01 pm
Winston Wolf

NICE. All over the place here! You are really doing an excellent job across the board with the recording and the mixing aspects of this shit, dude! Everything sounds pretty amazing to my tastes. Real cool when the wide range of styles/genres is taken into account. EVERYTHING sounds good.

I actually kind of like the pitchshift "bass" in the first thing, gives it a weirdo Today Is The Day sort of vibe in parts. Really enjoy this flavor of schizophrenic/attentiondeficit violence. Proper song lengths also always a plus. Real nice drum playing on that shit too. :huzzah:

My affection for GBV-ish things is relatively well-established. This is rad. Get kind of a Meat Puppets II vibe from it too, which is also rad. Just generally, are you using similar gear for drums and guitar across this, or is it a bunch of different stuff?

Very rock and roll on this third thing. Sounds a LOT like the late nineties, got that real-recorded-instruments-but-kinda-real-slickly feel to it. Really cool sounds you are getting from everything here. Guitars, drums, vox, mix.

90s screamo type of stuff was once my main thing i guess, though at the time i think i was in denial about it. I still have a powerful fondness for the guitars and pacing/structure of it, for sure. How screamy is the singer?

You have been very impressively productive. I am real amped on just the concept of that for some reason. It gives me great joy to hear you ripping it up. Keep it the hell up Cam. FUCKING RAD.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next