View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
A DIY recording journal. 
Walrus meat

Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
P.S. I just remembered the guitarist didn't have a fuzz, he was running a RAT.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:51 am
Walrus meat

The boyz and me finally got this sucker done: https://cryingmanrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... -had-diner

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
That sounds excellent brother heck. :huzzah:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:10 am
Walrus meat

Thank ya kindly, dawgus. :huzzah:

Them boys helped a whole lot by having good gear/tone. And writing killa tunes don't hurt either. I'm actually really happy with it considering how many stupid failed experiments went into it. There's a ribbon underneath the snare among a couple of other dumb things. :red:

We're tracking again soon, and not in this small basement either so I am stoked on what may come of it. :huzzah:

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20VOID.wav

Now listening to this on laptop speakers, the mix is fairly unbalanced. :red: Drums need to be chilled out a little bit, shit's eating the guitars. Also, try to ignore the blatant sloppiness of their performance. :red:

Sat May 14, 2016 7:29 pm
Winston Wolf

Nah, its that fucking chorus pedal that's eating the guitars. :red: (seriously though, it is just the chorusy intro part, once the heavier gits pop in, i wouldn't change it much at all from what you have here.)

This sounds fucking awesome though. Really loving the snare sound, and the vocal treatment is slickly. :huzzah:

Actually, i don't think this mix sounds unbalanced at all. It may be the pro-est sounding mix you have poasted, actually. :idk:

Sat May 14, 2016 8:23 pm
Walrus meat

You're definitely fucking right, the chorus seriously is eating the guitars. :red: Dude's way too into chorus and reverb. The live guitar track is a total fucking mess when he kicks in the Big Muff. When we tracked the second guitar track I was like, "hey man, so you wanna use an overdrive instead of a fuzz pedal and not use the chorus at all?" and he was down and then starts kicking the fucking chorus pedal on cause "it'd be a good idea here" two songs in. The fucking verb pedal starts coming on too. :red:

Shit is totally destroying the transient response of the track, just smears the fuck out of it. It's funny, because the big fuzzy riff bit sounds gargantuan on monitors, but just totally disappears on the little laptop speakers because it's so washed out.

Anyhow, thank you. That is very much how I feel about it as well, the most polished thing I have done. Snare is an i5 on top of a quite tightly tuned snare, no bottom snare mic but a lot of that sound is coming from the two room mics. Vocals are SE Electronic X1R ribbon going into the ol' Tonebeast running hot as fuck on the input for some dirt.

Considering the band showed up three fucking hours late (I am growing to hate musicians) and I basically eyeballed every mic position and made almost no adjustments it came out pretty well. :red: I'd say that I did a whole bunch of weird shit to get it where it is, but this is actually significantly less fuckedwith than the mixes I was banging out like, 9 months ago.

Sat May 14, 2016 8:41 pm
Walrus meat

Ah, and here is another, "mastered" mix: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %201.3.wav

Sat May 14, 2016 8:49 pm
Walrus meat

Different song, final mix:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 0FINAL.wav

Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 pm
Walrus meat

We've still gotta track bass and vocals, but I am quite incredibly jacked off on these tones:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... SS-001.wav

This is objectively the best recording I have ever done by far, IMO. First time using these sE Electronics sEa1 OHs, in ORTF. Great microphones. I could see myself using these alone for other types of recording, fantastic balance of cymbals and shells and quite a whacky amount of kick drum considering. Very impressed. HM-2 guitar on the right is KSM27 on the crease of the cone meeting cap, Beta 57 straight on the cap. Pretty equal blend. Left guitar is my Bristol Bomb, PR40 on the crease, X1r on the crease on the other side of the cap.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:15 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Damn, dude. That does sound pretty great. Guitar tones are awesome. Love the depth of the snare. :nods:

The ORTF thing is working out for you, I take it? How'd you set it up? Inquiring minds want to know. :eyebrows:

Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:12 am
Winston Wolf

Excellent drum sounds. What were they, drum and cymbal-wise?

Where are you recording this stuff these days? Is this the basement or the big room?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:11 am
Pendulous

I haven't been keeping up with your recording journals because well, basically I can't, but when I do drop in for a look it's always good and getting better.

The mix you posted is hawt. :huzzah: I'd like to get this more natural sound to my stuff.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:15 pm
Walrus meat

Thank you, dawgies. :huzzah:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... CK%203.wav

Not a final mix, but now with bass and vocals. I think the bass needs to come up a bit and the vocals down.

Anywho, I shall summarize what is going on here!

Dear Eric, the ORTF configuration was essentially directly above the drummer's head a few feet. Not the most scientific setup, I did not measure the distance between the capsules or even use a protractor to insure the accuracy of the 110 degree angle. :red: But it seemed to work. :idk: I am going to probably be more strict with that next time just to see if there's a substantial difference.

SO. I will just jump into what the drums are (which were tracked in the small-ish basemen, Chris).

Shells: Kick's my Pearl Export I've had forever, you guys have heard recordings of this drum for years now. Super worn out Aquarian Subkick on beaterside, unported Ambassador for the reso. Shure Beta 91 inside the kick with the cable routed out the tom mounts. D112 on the outside of the kick. Snare was homeboy's Pork Pie brass monster. Was tuned like dogshit when it got in here though, I kinda just did the best I could to get it where it needed to be, which was still not quite right. :red: Just an i5 on top, there was some stupid shit going on with snare wire buzz so I opted to just not even put a mic under there. Floor tom was from my Export kit, 16" with a quite old, quite worn Emperor on there. PR40 on there. Rack tom was some rando from around the house, i5.

Brass: Shit was homeboy's, he was rocking a Zildjian Sweet Ride, 21" or 22", not sure. Quite thin, very crash-y for a ride. I believe a Zil Avedis Medium Crash? And a mismatched hi-hat pair, I remember the bottom was a ZBT and the top was something much nicer. Also of note, there were KSM27s in an ORTF configuration on the opposite side of the room as well, and those are getting absolutely slammed with Waves 1176 sim. OH! And there was also an M179 in the laundry next door (door closed, no reflections or "verb", just some weird ugly bass) in omni, serious HP going on here and getting slammed with distortion. Very quiet in the mix, but it did something.

I should note the drums were tracked with a guitar in headphones, no live sound in the room, just a little combo's headphone output going into a mix to split it into two phones. Then we overdubbed the guitars and bass.

Guitars were as previously stated, but I forgot to mention it was through the Hovercraft of our friends that pretty much lives at our house. Cab was a Seismic 2x12 with GT-75s.

Bass was Fender Jazz-> mildly fuzzed FZ-2 -> MT-2 railed with 500hz-ish completely scooped out via parametic EQ -> VFE Woodchipper just adding clean suboctave. D112 a little out from the crease between cap and cone. Audix i5 straight on the cap. That is getting absolutely mangled with the CLA Bass plugin. Ain't really an honest tone, but it sounds pretty wild. :red:

OH! And vocals were KSM27, getting mangled to fuck with all kinds of stuff. :red: But most important to note is that it was going into the TB-12 railed to fuck, though that's only half of the clipping that's there.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:15 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Broseidon wrote:
Not a final mix, but now with bass and vocals. I think the bass needs to come up a bit and the vocals down.

Bassophone definitely needs to come up, but the vocals... I suppose they could come down a little. They're a bit high up for this sort of thing, but I wouldn't bury them either? Unless that's what yer going for, to give the illusion of more guitar biggerness. But yeah, I'd like to hear the mangled-ness of the bass, definitely.

Re: LDCs in ORTF, did you use a stereo mic bar, and if so, did you have any issues setting them up? Just 'cause of size. I'm thinking of trying it with a pair of modded Oktava 319s that I have access to.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:30 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20CUJO.wav

All of the songs, with an incredibly fucking hilariously cheesy but awesome (imo) Steven King's Cujo sample at the end. :lol: New mix, definitely plenty of bass here. It's funny, I am slamming the fuck out of it with multi-band comp to get it to sort of even out it's bass content, but there are moments where it just gets wonky. It's kinda tight though, it gives that exploding amplifier sort of vibe.

And with the ORTF room mics, I did not use a bar. I just put them both on boomless stands and set them up next to one another, very close really. Next time I would probably go for a more wide stereo spread but they seemed to be pretty perfectly in phase so I'm pleased with what it did.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 pm
Walrus meat

I am having a hard time quite deciding what is an inappropriate amount of pumping, though I know they do want it super fucking compressed and I like the aesthetic for this, as well.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:08 am
Winston Wolf

Did you add reverb to the solo guitar, or was that on the original tracking? Other than that one bit sounding pretty weak to me, the rest of the shit sounds verr solid.

Maybe drums slightly too high in the mix compared to the rest. I guess it is kind of a hallmark of the style to have the drums pretty forward, but especially in the first two, to me it is an element that sticks out a bit extra too much i think.

Drum level on the last one didn't seem quite as high, but still maybe a little too much.

Personally i would prefer a bit more guitars with the drums dipped a bit.

Compression wise, it is sure pretty explodey. For myself, who have been known to like a bit of explodey, i think it is a good amount for this style. It is a lot a lot, but i don't think if falls into the "all i can hear is compression cymbals" range.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:07 am
Walrus meat

Taking your feedback into account, I made some tweaks. I definitely agreed about drums, I just ended with them in headphones and thought they sounded a little too buried. Largely, I think that is because of the stereo spectrum not being quite what I would like it to be. Drums are a little more mono then I would like them to be, I think.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... O%20V2.wav

THOUGH, I am still kinda getting bummed about the drums encroaching upon the guitars. :red: Particularly on laptop speakers where shit is getting essentially summed down to mono-ish. Might seem kinda stupid to use laptop speakers as a reference as often as I do, but that is indeed the largest way this shit being consumed at first listen.

I think maybe, it is just that the snare is too loud and it's got that wack hi-hat bleed in it.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:26 pm
Walrus meat

OK, I think it's done: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... O%20V3.wav

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next