View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
A DIY recording journal. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
Broseidon wrote:
Another update, now with bass and some additional mixing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95ri3a2aw7yrj ... X.wav?dl=0

I feel like I'm getting pretty close besides getting the vocals in there and sending it off for a proper, fancy master.

Sounds great man.

What are all of the things? I forget, did you track these drums in the big room or the basement?

Curious about what you are running guitar/amp wise. It sounds familiar like a setup a friend of mine used to use.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 am
Walrus meat

Thanks, man! :huzzah: Drums were indeed in the big ol' room at my folks'.

So, I'm just gonna go ahead and lay it all out so I have a reference point for it later anyhow.

Deerums:
Kick - SM91 inside (not getting aggresive with EQ at all so it's not crazy pokey, plenty of slap out the gate) and M179 on the reso head
Snare - Telefunken M80 on top, Heil PR30 on bottom
Toms - Audix i5s
OHs - Shure KSM27s, not in a normal position at all, more like what Albini does with ribbons almost functioning as the ears of a tall person standing behind the kit and into the room in a ORTF kinda fashion. Fuck tons of room in these mics versus typical overheads.
Rooms - sE1as SDCs taped to the floor about 10 feet in front of the kit on opposite sides of the room looking in at the kick drum, seX1R ribbon underneath the drum stool getting absolutely clobbered. Lots of nice shell sounds in there.

Bass:
Alex's Fender Dimension 5-string into a Carvin 1x18 getting mic'd with a PR30, but that's getting severely lowpassed, like maybe down to 200hz? That's providing the sub below the DI from my Warm Audio Tonebeast. The Tonebeast is getting some quite healthy clipping, when she's hitting the really clanky high chords it's hitting the skull and cross bones region of the "red zone".

Guitar:
Right side is a Jaguar with both pickups selected into a Sunn Spectrum -> homebrew 1x15 with a speaker that I am not familiar nor can remember. Fair amount of pedals going on here. PR30, forced myself to use one mic for the guitars to save track count.
Left side is Jazzmaster with both pickups selected into a silverface Bassman also going into a homebrew 1x15, this one has a Weber Alnico Classic or something.

Fuckin' silly that the album was tracked with 15" and 18" speakers solely considering the tones, I am doing a lot of brightening of the guitars specifically with Soundtoys Sie-Q and Radiator. I really love those plugins, they let you get away with a lot more shit than most other EQ/preamp emulations that I've used, it's pretty difficult to make the tone sound canned.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:25 am
Walrus meat

Another one of these songs, but now with vocals: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uslhm461rjz4a ... E.mp3?dl=0

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:59 am
Winston Wolf

Well, you knew that i was going to like this. :isay:

Very nice mix. All levels excellent, IMO. Nice bass.

Dig those geetar sounds as well. :huzzah:

Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm
Walrus meat

Thank you, bruddah. :huzzah:

I am pretty happy with most the levels but I think the bass and vocals could come down a hair.. I think I'm gonna try to tidy some things up still as well. Might suck out some 200-250-ish on the guitars (there's a thing down there somewhere that's bugging me) and sort out the kick drum. I think there's still some work I could do there.

I'm not trying to be overly critical but also I'm totally trying to be over critical. :red: I'm hoping this release can open some doors for me, I would like to have some more credibility to the point where I can land some gigs that might take me to an actual recording studio/have the clout to charge people some real money.

I am glad you're digging it, man. It's been a labor of love, the amount of tracking time that's gone into this is absurd. Probably over 40 hours of guitar tracking alone. Kai and I (guitarist panned to the left) spent a shit ton of time fucking with weird tones. Chester (on the right) is probably 5 or 6 pedals in total but across the album Kai and I probably used 20 pedals. I was pushing weird bullshit wherever I could. :red: I'm very excited for the end product and for people to hear it.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:31 am
Winston Wolf

I kind of like the whole "bass guitar taking over" thing, myself. Reminds me of a lot of things i like, Bob Weston recordings, that sort of biz.

I could see dropping them a little though, just so that the specific lines were not so easily discernible, and for instance to make some room for the drums.

I didn't have a fuss with the vocal levels at all, if anything, they struck me as being a bit low, in that albini-ish bury the singer way. :idk:

If i were to have any issues with the mix, they would be drum-related i guess. They seem pretty compressed-y and there just doesn't seem to be too much room for them to not be in the mix. Again though, this feels more like a conscious choice IMO, and i think is an appropriate one if other elements of the thing are better served being further forward in comparison(e.g. the bass, the guitars)...

Do you have some room vst action here on the drums, or is that a natural room? In quieter bits, the snare does get a little sloppy/loose sounding, i suspect that it is from a bit too much echoverb action sounding like oddball ghost hits. In the louder bits it helps it punch through a bit i think, but where it is quieter, you might want to dry it up some?

What are you thinking on the kick?

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:09 am
Winston Wolf

You might also want to drop the level of that pitch shift guitar on the right, unless they want it to blast out like that(like @ 0:48).

I personally always find that pitchshifting UP, tends to make things sound a lot louder than they are. :idk:

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 am
Walrus meat

These are excellent notes, thank you. :huzzah: Guitars are definitely going to need custom automation throughout record to keep the balance between the stereo sounds somewhat intact, but I hadn't really thought about the goofy high guitar yet.

I also hadn't thought about reducing the room sound during the quieter parts, which I think I can go about by just automating the butt mic. I've been making that louder for parts where everything but the drums and bass cut out and I might as well automate it down during those parts to unsmear the kit. That microphone is by far the most abused, it's absolutely smashed and filthy and is I am sure most responsible for the quite squashed drums.

Definitely have been trying to uncompress the drums via bus treatment but think most of it's coming from the prominence of that particular mic in the balance. All room sound btw, no vst reverbs or anything like that. That room is just large and reflective as all damn hell.

Vocal levels over here seem quite a bit less than buried tbh, but I'll try not to turn them down too much.

Kick drum I think I would like the attack in a slightly lower area, right now it don't sound bad I just think a warmer, slightly less clicky punch would be ace. It definitely sounds like a felt beater but I guess I would like it to sound even more so while still punching through the mix. Might lowpass or just shelf some of the higher stuff and try to get some 2k punch or so.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:16 pm
Walrus meat

https://cryingmanrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... ee-my-aura

Alex and I did this biz the other day. Probably gonna do more.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:54 pm
Winston Wolf

Chorus pedals aside, i dig the fuck out of it. Love the caveman drums, the ripped apart vocals, the big punch bass sound, and the general angle of the whole thing. :huzzah:

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:33 pm
Walrus meat

Thanks, man. :huzzah: This is kinda me poking at the ribs of the turntup nose freakpunk folks around here. Kinda like, you folks aren't that fucking mysterious, I can do this shit too and maybe better than you all without a leather jacket. :red:

Bass tone is my P-Bass into VFE Woodchipper fuzz into my new Peavey VMP-2 cranking some low end on the built in EQ. Getting some punchsquash from my also new DBX 160x. It's a bass tone I am very into.

Soundtoys Radiator is on everything on this thing with the input knob cranked to various extents. I really like it for getting that nasty analog saturation, it's not as good as the real thing but it gives some nice filth.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:13 pm
Walrus meat

https://cryingmanrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... rk-cameron

Doing this b.s. now

Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:15 pm
Winston Wolf

Dig it. Always up for a gbv cover, also. :huzzah:

Where are you getting your distortion all over from? Compressors, lack of compressors, actual crunch boxes?

More of this type of stuff coming? Or just a fleeting "felt like it, did it" thing?

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 pm
Walrus meat

Crunch is coming from a few stages of saturation, I am clipping the shit out of the front of my API clone and then also doing a lot of damage with Soundtoys Radiator, slamming the input on that as well. There's also an instance of Radiator on the master buss as well, which is kinda doing a crunchglue thing. Not really using any compressors IIRC, but the clipping pretty much takes care of that anyhow.

Working on more but am having a hard time making stuff I like and don't think sounds fuckin dopey. Very sensitive towards anything I think sounds stupid.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:44 pm
Winston Wolf

Broseidon wrote:
Working on more but am having a hard time making stuff I like and don't think sounds fuckin dopey. Very sensitive towards anything I think sounds stupid.

this seems to happen in stages with me as well. There are times I hate what I am writing and then there are times it seems the Devil in in my veins pumping out awesomeness.

Rarely the latter

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 am
Winston Wolf

Broseidon wrote:

Oh yeah, a lot of this for me lately. For me, it has been extended bouts of drastic reassessment followed by, well, just not recording anything. :red:

I think i need to feed the machine something interesting for a change or something. A change of scene, a new influence, a new finding anything i give a shit about. I dunno.

Mostly looking and finding a lot of well worn grooves in my sound-making habits, and not liking anything at all. :dukes:

These things go in cycles, for sure, but i am getting a little impatient with my own process. Sometimes that works for me too, just pissing myself off enough to change course. :idk:

Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 am
Walrus meat

torgeot wrote:
Broseidon wrote:

this seems to happen in stages with me as well. There are times I hate what I am writing and then there are times it seems the Devil in in my veins pumping out awesomeness.

Rarely the latter

It is definitely quite the feeling though, when you've landed on that stride and can ride it out for a little and hopefully get a handful of fine ideas out of it. I've been pretty uninspired with guitar shit lately and have been trying to mess with other instruments which I think can help a lot. A lot of the time I just don't even want to touch a guitar, it's weird.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:36 pm
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
Broseidon wrote:

Oh yeah, a lot of this for me lately. For me, it has been extended bouts of drastic reassessment followed by, well, just not recording anything. :red:

I think i need to feed the machine something interesting for a change or something. A change of scene, a new influence, a new finding anything i give a shit about. I dunno.

Mostly looking and finding a lot of well worn grooves in my sound-making habits, and not liking anything at all. :dukes:

These things go in cycles, for sure, but i am getting a little impatient with my own process. Sometimes that works for me too, just pissing myself off enough to change course. :idk:

For me I think feeding the machine something new would be massively beneficial. But, I am poor and hardly leave the house other than for my real and am not usually afforded the adventure of fucking around about town as Alex is not big on doing so and is not big on being left alone. Definitely need to figure out some kind of reinvigorated energy for shit though.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:39 pm
Walrus meat

Thankfully I don't always have to write the tunes, I can just record them and try to make them sound a way: https://www.dropbox.com/s/35sk3xag9a6di ... 1.wav?dl=0

This is my friend Ryan's solo project thing. As you may guess, guitars and bass are direct. Redlined them through my oldie Tascam M-208 mixer and then sent that into the API clone and then proceeded to redline that as well and then it's hitting my DBX 160x hitting a couple of db GR at their loudest. Sounds like a pretty charming sort of shitty, IMO.

Also ain't never recorded this dry of drums before but figured muting the hell out of everything would be cool, wanted to go for a Television sort of production.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 pm
Winston Wolf

Strong Meat Puppets II vibes here. I am def into it. The drums are a big part of the vibe. :isay:

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next