View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
A DIY recording journal. 
Walrus meat

Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
Also, there is a little EQ on the tars and and on the OHs. Shelved boost at about 10 or 12k on both, little HPF on the guitars, and a bit of a mid boost on the scoopier guitar.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 pm
Walrus meat

A new mix:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... REVERB.mp3

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:31 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIX.wav

My roommate Ryan's new band, CAMP. Pretty much tamer Shucks. I actually nailed what I intended on the Shucks recordings. Shit was tracked upstairs in our house, which has a loft and whatnot and is quite spacious though not particularly reflective.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:47 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Sounds awesome to me. I really enjoy the bassguitar-heavy aspect of the mix.

After a couple listens maybe the bass is a bit over-loud in the mix, but i kind of like it like that, personally. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:47 pm
Walrus meat

Thanks, man. :huzzah:

I've got now what's closer to a final mix, but it's still not quite complete.

So, for the sake of sharing and for the sake of archiving what went down here:

Drums were:

Kick - D112
Snare - SM57 (regret this :red:)
Toms - KSM27s
Mono OH - MK-219 (coulda picked something more fitting)

Guitars were:

Lead - PR40 on a weird Hovercraft refurbish deal with matching Hovercraft cab
Rhythm - Beta 57 (regrettable, too much top end) on a Sunn Spectrum 60 on top of a Traynor with GT-75s

Bass was:

PR40 on an Ampeg V6 w/ Peavey 4x12

Room was:

MXL R40 ribbon smashed to all motherfucking hell with a Sausage Fattener
M179 in figure 8 out in front of the mildly iso'd cabs (big blanket wall) that I actually just cut from the mix :red:

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52 pm
Winston Wolf

What makes you regret the SM57 on the snare?

For that matter, what don't you like about the MK-219?

And if you could magically do it again, what would you use for each/both instead?

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:16 pm
Walrus meat

In the case of the 57, it was largely the amount of hat bleed that got into it. Granted, it was aimed across the snare moreso than actually at the head. I find the bleed to be pretty fucking ugly, especially when I distorted the snare. :red: Which, was just something I wanted to do, because fuck it. Probably should have used the i5, which was kinda shotdown by Ryan cause he thought it sounded weird at first listening when solo'd (i didn't really think so :red:) so I just threw up the 57 for fun and "well this what most people would do" and it sounded cool so we just went with it. That is something I wish I would have just gone with my gut on. I also find that the hat bleed is seriously impeding upon the punch of the snare in the full mix.

For the MK-219, it's just not quite up to the task of giving a nice brass sound, IMO. The KSMs had such a nice balance between the cymbals and toms that I could have almost omit'd an OH entirely, I only used the Oktava in the mix because it filled in the middle of the drum image and helped the snare cut a little more. I should have probably gone for the MK-012. It is far nicer in the highs/far more focused as a result of being an SDC and would have done little to degrade the excellent sound coming out of the KSMs (these things really are just the bee's fuckin' knees).

Also of note, the way this is mixed is moving away from the way shitty overcompressed place I have been going for past year. Granted, the room mic(s) are absolutely squashed and the master buss certainly isn't conservative. However, most everything is really open, treated with an API-2500 with as little of a ratio as 1.5:1, that is the case on both the snare and guitars. Bass is probably a little more compressed. Kick's 1176, just at 4:1. Drum buss has some parallel smashy, but has quite the dynamic range, really.

It's fucking sick, because as the individual components get louder, they sort of fight the room mic (which is very prominent) for the foreground and things get clearer and punchier during the loud sections. Really adds a nice dynamic while retaining a very even volume level.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:57 pm
Walrus meat

This is the latest mix from a few days ago, there will certainly be some shit changed before it's done, but this is really close.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... IE%202.wav

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 pm
Walrus meat

An excerpt of a sesh with my dawgies in Tangler: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... IX%203.wav

You've heard 3 out of 4 of these boys' music before. Colin, who's neverreleased solo album some of you have heard (hell, Eric even had his hands on some mixing deal with) is playing guitar here and will be tracking vocals soon. Josh, who was in Bog Bodies with Colin, is playing drums here. Aidan, Alex and I's roommate, was songwriter/vocal dude in my old band Matlock. And our friend Daniel is filling the line up as a second guitarist.

We recorded this in the basement instead of upstairs. Much, much smaller room. Still got some decent 'verb out of it, though.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 am
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... VOCALS.wav

Another mix. I am starting to really get into woofy bass. :red:

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:46 pm
Walrus meat

I have found myself back in the position of recording hardcore bands. Which is, actually pretty damn cool.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... YZ-001.wav

Eventually I am going to actually manage to figure out how to steal Kurt Ballou's aesthetic. Maybe. :red:

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:05 pm
Winston Wolf

Broseidon wrote:
Eventually I am going to actually manage to figure out how to steal Kurt Ballou's aesthetic. Maybe. :red:

I am definitely hearing a fair bit of that vibe here. Solid as hell. :huzzah:

How has your process along this developed? Meaning, what do you feel you are getting a handle on more now?

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:38 am
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
How has your process along this developed? Meaning, what do you feel you are getting a handle on more now?

I think a greatgreatgreat deal of it forcing myself not to go for the stupid harsh highend in tones I for whatever reason naturally gravitate towards. :red: As soon as I try to dial in some oomph back, it's just not there. :red: I'm going for more balanced tones essentially, so when I want to do some EQ'ing I'm not painted into a corner. At this point, I am essentially solely using either one of my PR40s or one of my condensers on guitar cabs, otherwise I am going to hate the shit out of whatever I'm getting twenty minutes after committing to a tone. :red:

I also think, that recording these bands live is having a hugely positive impact on me. Besides having to troubleshoot certain unavoidable things (mostly bleed) it gives me a full picture of the mix. And so, I am able in real time to try to get a good mix going and therefore able to analyze what it is that each piece of the puzzle needs to get The Good Shit happening. There's no "oh well ya know the guitars are whatever, but the bass will really fill in the lows/lowmids when we get there" and then lo and behold, it just doesn't do what I told myself it would. :red:

Also, I feel like exploding room mics+lightly compressed otherbits are some amount of the aesthetic. Now I just need a buncha nice preamps and a decent AD/DA converter.. :red:

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm
Walrus meat

Pretty darn happy with how this ended up coming out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/conte ... RJD60/file

Hardcore is very funny to me whether or not the writer intends to be, but I actually find this band to comical in a very endearing (and fairly self aware) way. Sounds like fucking post-apocalyptic wasteland mutantpunk.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:04 pm
Walrus meat

Rough, uncut tracks from this stoner/doom band, Doormats:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 0BLURB.wav

A little mixing going on here, but not a whole lot. Still needs some tweaks fo sho.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:24 am
Winston Wolf

Talk about what things are.

Sounds fuckmassive. I like what you have going for a guitar sound, the bass is big, and the drums are compressey but sound good for it.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:36 pm
Walrus meat

Drums are:

SM91 inside of a non-ported 22" kick (just got this, fucking love it even though it sounds so goddamn stupid by itself)
MXL R144 ribbon in front of kick inside of an isolation tent crafted out of a broken dresser drawer lined with foam inside with blankets over da top
SM7 on snare top (not a whole lot of this actually being used), Beta 57 on bottom (primary snare mic)
KSM27s on toms, in a very non-traditional position that I am realizing I like more than aiming towards the center for these sorts of tones
SE Electronics Magneto as a mono OH

Bass (Fender Jag -> V4) is:

Oktava MK-012 dead center on the dustcap of the brightest speaker, D112 aimed at the crease on the darkest speaker

Guitar (SG Special -> Orange OR50/Sunn Spectrum) is:

M179 on OR50, PR40 on Spectrum

And of course, there's a room mic, it was hanging out in the room next door to the tracking room low to the ground in a tile laundry room. MXR GXL3000 (random mic of my roommate's, cheap but decent chinese LDC) getting absolutely punished off the bat by one of the ART MPA's channels. Input gain was almost entirely cranked, and then I am fucking it up with Sausage Fattener after the fact. Maybe should have used one of my nicer mics for this in hindsight, but I had not really put too much thought into it. :red:

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:54 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Hey, Cam- how much of that compression is the brutalized room mic? (BTW, I'd done this with the ART a few times myself... Makes a nice faux-compressor if you slam the VU into the red.) I can actually hear pick attack from the room in a few sections despite the apparent volume of the whole thing. This sounds like a loud-ass band.

I note my tape is still on one of the KSM27s, though my notations have long since worn off. :lol:

I see an assload of pedals, as well- outside the SD1 and the orange EHX thing... What they is? Were they used much?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:21 am
Winston Wolf

Is that pzm mounted in there or isolated from the shell at all, or just floating around?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:18 am
Walrus meat

Ya know it's funny, the amps really weren't very loud. That is probably why you could hear pick attack in the room. And most of that compression is indeed from that room mic, it's seriously beyond fucking slammed. I def need to back it off on the drum tracks themselves to get a little more life out of them.

Pedals besides those mentioned by you were mostly fuzzes. Bassist had two, one was a Hair Of The Dog, one was that EHX Holy Stain you mentioned. Guitarist had a delay used sparingly, and then some fuzz I don't recall stacked on the SD-1. I think that might be it? I think besides a reverb for the guitarist maybe.

SM91 was sitting on some bedding foam that was also muffling the kick.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next