View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
A DIY recording journal. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
Broseidon wrote:
Track off the upcoming Clank. full length, some feedback desired. Are the drums too dry for the other instruments? I can not unwet the 'tars and bass, that is what they are.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20Mix.wav

I like this a lot!

The verby git/bass bits work well, imo, with the drier drumsound and the effected/illegible vocal.

All the sounds and levels are spot on as far as i am concerned, and i wouldn't change anything.

Nice and noisy.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:57 pm
Walrus meat

Thanks, dawgie. :isay:

Pretty whacky sidenote, these kids are only 16 years old.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:04 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... ixeroo.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... IXEROO.wav

Here's all the tracks minus the two tape loops, some stuff still needs to messed with. Phase on toms needs to maybe be pushed around on a couple things. Seems like the floor tom got moved around a bit or something.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:18 pm
Winston Wolf

Yeah, these guys are great, and the recording is excellent. :isay:

Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:20 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %201.1.wav

Not incredibly stoked with the guitar tone I got for this. :red: Still just kinda not incredibly stoked on any guitar tones I have got thus far, I think it is time to reevaluate some shit. For the millionth time.

Wed May 06, 2015 6:28 pm
Winston Wolf

Snare sounds righteous, as seems to be par for yer course of late. (though mayhap, i think it a bit high in the mix)

What is your general beef with the guitar sound? Like, what are you looking to get from it? And what is the chain?

Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 pm
Walrus meat

Naturally, it is sort of hard to describe exactly what I am trying to get out of a sound with words because it is such an intangible thing. :red: However, I suppose just something that is less "flat" sounding that has cut and bite whilst retaining a nice solid low end. Something that I don't have to EQ the shit out of just to get some teeth, at which point I have compromised the low end. :red:

What is going on here: Jet City SLOclonewhateverwhatever, Avatar 4x12 (with GT-75s I think?), some weird dual cut Fender from the nineties (HBs) with one of them new Don't Shred On Me modded RAT deals. 57 on axis, i5 off axis. Same speaker. Processing was some API EQ and compression, tape sim. Really just not liking this sound in the box. Sounded cool if not really quite nice in the room.

I've been using two mics a lot of the time, as something has been telling me that that is what I am looking for. :idk: Convention points towards the 57 and shit and I am really just looking for the fucking quick, stupid answer at this point, so I try it in combination with my i5, PR40s or whatever condensers. After giving this a shot quite a few times, I am fucking bailing.

In hindsight, I think my favorite tone I have got thus far was for that split thing I did awhile back with my fakeskramz homies on one of the Bog Bodies songs. That was Colin's LP into my Marshall combo with my Bristol Bomb OD IIRC. Oktava 012 SDC on axis (in between the cone and cap as per usual) with an i5 off axis. Both quite close to the speaker. Largely, it is the fact that he uses the neck pickup solely on that recording that leads me to believe that that mic combo would kill on a more traditional, cutty bridge PU rock/metal tone considering how much clarity came out of those recordings. Even more so maybe, considering the state of my mixing skills at that time. :red:

It is to me, really pretty fucking simple to comprehend why those two models/styles of mics would play very well with each other. I have just been looking for a more obvious answer, I suppose. Particularly because I have a tendency to ignore conventional ways of thinking and doing, and sometimes snub myself doing so. :red:

I am fairly obsessed with this shit, like OCD scary obsessed. :red: I have gone over these things a million times in my head, trying to dissect the logistics of what I am looking for, and more importantly: how the fuck to attain what I am trying to get. It is funny, because I always hear people talking about how drums are the true test of an engineer because any moron can mic up a guitar cab, and I have found things to really be quite the opposite in my quest thus far. :red:

Thu May 07, 2015 5:09 pm
Walrus meat

Jesus, that's a lot of little red faces.

P.S. thx on the snare, dawg. At this point, I do not really even think about it. i5 on top, diaphragm about 2-3 inches above the rim (usually about perpendicular to the edge of the head/rim, as well) pointed somewhere between the middle of the head and the opposite side of the rim. Angle of the body of the mic is far closer to being parallel to the head than it is a vertical sort. Picks up plenty of attack while getting some "body" or what have you. Doesn't reject bleed as well as angling the mic further down towards the head, but it does sound like a real fucking drum.

Thu May 07, 2015 5:18 pm
Winston Wolf

How many guitar trax are you running? My own personal thing with guitars is that i feel that i personally get more out of two guitars than i do out of two mics on one guitar. (This is mostly me talking about recording other folks; my own guitar sounds are generally something else, and i tend to go for bad sounds not good ones in my own stuff :red: )

Now, unlike manyfoalks who multiguitar things, i don't think it is generally worth it to do more than two. Because then i feel like they mess with eachother's shit, fighting for compressor space. Two, hardpanned, is good for me. Sometimes maybe with one more in the middle if i think it needs it, but i will run that middle one way low in the mix compared to the others, and just use it more to glue the left and right together some if they seem too apart(for whatever reason i don't really like having them only partially panned, hardpanned or centered only for guitars for me).

Thu May 07, 2015 7:32 pm
Winston Wolf

OH, the other thing i would say is that i tend to aim for less distortion in the guitar sound than it seems like i want in the room. Almost without fail, i find myself preferring the sound of the lower distortion tracks. And oddly, it is usually because they sound meaner. For myself anyhow, what feels good to play for heavy guitars, is usually too much dirt for the recorded sound to be as interesting as it would be running shit just a little bit cleaner. The more dirty tracks i do just seem to sound flatter and duller to me. (this may just be something insane about my hearing though, who knows)

Thu May 07, 2015 7:36 pm
Walrus meat

Always one or two tracks of guitar, never more. Typically one these days, with the live tracked one guitar hardcore band thing being something of a recurring theme.

And I quite think that with the tones I am getting, that a well-tracked second take would clear up a lot of the issues I am having with these tones, though not in such a direct way. Kind of more like a sweeping this so-so tone under the rug sort of situation. :red:

If I can't get it to sound good without doubling, what the fuck am I doing after all?

I am very much thinking it is time to get back to either using one proper mic, or two that compliment each other very well so that I am not getting what I perceive to be some sort of comb filtering phase issue sort of sound.

Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 pm
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
OH, the other thing i would say is that i tend to aim for less distortion in the guitar sound than it seems like i want in the room. Almost without fail, i find myself preferring the sound of the lower distortion tracks. And oddly, it is usually because they sound meaner. For myself anyhow, what feels good to play for heavy guitars, is usually too much dirt for the recorded sound to be as interesting as it would be running shit just a little bit cleaner. The more dirty tracks i do just seem to sound flatter and duller to me. (this may just be something insane about my hearing though, who knows)

This, I am thinking, is a large part of my problem. One that is also, out of my control to some extent.

Some amount of what I am hearing might have a lot to do with the amp compressing the everliving fuck out of the transients, and so I am losing the pick attack and whatnot, and am compensating by dialing in high end "cut", and just end up with this sizzley shit sandwich.

Thu May 07, 2015 7:48 pm
Winston Wolf

What is a recording that you love/would want the guitar sound on? My suspicion is that you might be looking for a sound that is more than one guitar.

I would certainly start by simplifying the microphone setup.

Then i would suggest that if you aren't getting what you want with some basic mic setups that usually do the trick for 90% of folks who talk about recording(SM57 at cone edge off axis, etc, etc) Then i would suggest that the origin sound might be troublesome. Try other cabs, other settings, that sort of thing. It may make the guitarist uncomfortable, but it may make the guitar sound better too. It is a tricky balance when recording other people. When to work with what is brought in to you, and when to try to change it.

Thu May 07, 2015 7:55 pm
Winston Wolf

Oh, and one thing i have done that worked alright, was to have someone record shit through their setup the way they run their shit, and then do a second track through one of my setups the way i would do it. I told him straight up it was to get a bit of variation and depth to the sound and to give myself more mixing options, because sometimes you need more options when it comes to mixing things. He is an old friend so we did it up. I even wound up using way less of my setup's sound than i thought i would; it just needed what wound up being just a little bit of a different flavor added in.

Thu May 07, 2015 8:00 pm
Walrus meat

Heavy tones-wise, I am super into Kurt Ballou's shit (particularly HIS tone on Converge stuff). Obviously, there's multiple thousands of dollars worth of outboard shit separating me from really replicating what is going on there. However, I think I have just really been fucking up multiple things. The simpler I go, whether tracking or mix I have been kinda slowly realizing that is where I need to be gravitating.

Better Living Through Better Mixing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20Guns.wav

Outside of heavy tones, I am way into Don Cab's sounds. Like, probably moreso than any other band ever.

Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 pm
Winston Wolf

I honestly don't think that you need Kurt Ballou's gear to get his sound. When we recorded with him, he had a very relatively simple setup of very normal, easily available gear and that is what he did a lot of the finest records with. The crazy shit he runs now has a lot more to do with him becoming a successful dude and having the money and freedom to play around a bit more with acquiring the gear, in my estimation.

That, and he also seems to have a solid knack for mixing sounds to get the sound he wants. And he seems to like splitting signals into clean and dirty, high and low, tubby and edgy, to get what he is looking for.

Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm
Walrus meat

Welp, here's the final: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20Sync.wav

It is a little wonky in some ways mix-wise, but it is what they seem to want. I feel pretty well about it now that it's done. Guitar tone ended up sounding pretty neat considering I was really not quite pleased with it's original state.

Sat May 09, 2015 12:31 am
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
I honestly don't think that you need Kurt Ballou's gear to get his sound. When we recorded with him, he had a very relatively simple setup of very normal, easily available gear and that is what he did a lot of the finest records with. The crazy shit he runs now has a lot more to do with him becoming a successful dude and having the money and freedom to play around a bit more with acquiring the gear, in my estimation.

That, and he also seems to have a solid knack for mixing sounds to get the sound he wants. And he seems to like splitting signals into clean and dirty, high and low, tubby and edgy, to get what he is looking for.

I have noticed this duality of sounds approach he really likes a lot. Actually, I have access to this class and all the others this company facilitates through a homie hookup (also why I have Waves Suite.. :red:):

https://www.creativelive.com/courses/ge ... urt-ballou

I will post all the files soon.

Sat May 09, 2015 12:32 am
Walrus meat

A band that wishes to sound like Dinosaur Jr:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... NG%201.wav

I actually think I did a pretty damn good job.

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:17 pm
Walrus meat

I am not sure if I see myself using dynamic mics on a guitar cab again anytime soon. :red:

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next