View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
A DIY recording journal. 
Walrus meat

Post Re: A DIY recording journal.
Muh bois in MOIST:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIX.wav

One of the most fucked up hardcore bands I have ever heard.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:44 pm
Pendulous

:cop: :huzzah:

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:44 pm
Walrus meat

Super gotdang horny on these drum sounds: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIX.wav

This is for Tangler. Tracked these up in the big room while my roommates are on a road trip.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:25 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Sounds doap. The only two things i hear are that 1. the cymbals might be a bit upsy in the drumix once you get other instrument elements involved, and 2. maybepossibly i wonder if you might have something cancelling some of the phase of your kick drum some. Like maybe flip polarity on the overheads or toms or snare or whatever and see if the kick doesn't pop in some more low end all of a sudden. It just sounds familiar to me somehow, and i think maybe it is familiar in a phase way to things i have run into befoe. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:48 pm
Walrus meat

There is a very good chance that I need to scoot one of the kick drum tracks around or just do some flipping. There's a PR40 inside and an M179 hanging out on the front and I did not put a bunch of time into the phase relationship because were in just a bit of a crunch. I am def gonna mess with that. :huzzah:

As for the cymbals bit I am sure you are very much correct, I am just sort of a sucker for hearing the punch of the OHs fading out into the room mic sounds. Three room mics going here. One very, very distant in the back of the loft. Probably seeing only third order reflections. That's getting absolutely crushed, has some "tape" slapback delay and a little SPX990 "drum chamber" convolution reverb. There's also an MS setup going that is not routed as MS yet. Oktava 012 as mid, sE X1r as side. Both are getting some smashysmashy, but the ribbon is getting some seriously stupid pumping going.

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:11 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Cam and I have discuss'd this one already, but I forgot to add: I kinda want to hear the mid/side thing on its own, just to hear what it's doing. :nods:

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 am
Walrus meat

For Eric and anyone else curious:

MS Microphones: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20MICS.wav
Loft Microphone: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIC.wav
Close Mics: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20MICS.wav

I'd never noticed before that you can hear Colin's pick attack in bits in the MS mics. Love the bark of the snare in the loft mic. It is also funny to hear incredibly boring the close mics sound by themselves.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:19 am
Winston Wolf

I thought i would find one or the other of those room-ish mics to be unneeded compared to the other, but they both are bringing something different and cool in. :huzzah:

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:05 pm
Walrus meat

Yah, they are definitely seeing very different views of the kit/being treated fairly different. M-S mic was like, 10 feet in front of the kit? Loft mic ain't seeing shit, lots and lots of bouncing before it would get to where it was, for sure.

I should also note that I am cutting everything above 2.5k by 4db on the loft mic, which is obviously very substantial.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
That loft mic is filthy. :nods:

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:21 pm
Walrus meat

The MOIST stuff with two geetars: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIX.wav

Far from done, really.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:35 am
Walrus meat

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/TAN ... EW+MIX.wav

Tangler tracking is done beside vocals and guitars for the one song Aidan wrote/guitarsinsteadofbasses/sings on. Pretty dang happy with how this is sounding but I still need to some surgical EQ on them there guitars/balance some things better.

Any critiques, dawguses? I am definitely trying to get this one as slick as dang possible. This song is, IMO, actually one of the weaker on the record and these songs deserve to be stressed over a lot. There's some seriously hooky as FUCK songs on this thing. Very proud of these boys.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:15 pm
Winston Wolf

Brother Heck, my internets says that that link dun exist. :idk:

Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:18 pm
Walrus meat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIX.wav

Woops!

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm
Walrus meat

Actually, ignore this shit. I'm beginning to realize that I might need to get new monitors. I feel like my Yamaha HS5s are a little too... forgiving. Like, I can get away with dialing in what I think is clarity in the midrange but on other systems it sound like some fake, skronky shitty shit.

Working on taming the SKREE on the twangier bits for the gits. I like the tones well enough, but I need to tailor them a bit.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:21 pm
Winston Wolf

I dunno camheck, i think you might be losing your mind a little bit here. This shit sounds fantastic as is. Does the band think the guitars sound weird or something?

Also, are you running any EQ on the guitars as is?

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:40 pm
Walrus meat

Thanks man, I think I actually needed someone to tell me that. :lol: However, there are some things I think still that are bugging me about the percussive twang bits. In that mix there was some boosting on 1 and 2k with some cut at 4, I've found myself not boosting anything other than lows at this point.

I think that part of what I am torturing myself with is trying to fight the nature of a Tele and Strat into bright amps, to some extent. I am def trying to make this sound heavy and am comparing it to recordings that were more than likely LP -> Marshall-esque rigs. Some not even in standard. :red: That is probably a dumb thing to do.

Band does not think the guitars sound weird or anything, these are my own issues with shit. I like the guitar sounds, I just wish I had tracked them with a little more chunk to them in hindsight.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:04 pm
Winston Wolf

I dunno what works for you, but when i get to the point that i feel like i can't get eq on guitars quite right after getting more and more detailed with what and how i am messing with things, i personally find that the best thing for me to do is to bypass literally all the eq on the guitars and listen/render a version without any on them.Then decide if i still think they need something. A lot of times, i wind up liking it best without anything done, or alternately i will set up a new eq(leaving my first one bypassed in case i want to hear it again as it was later) and start from scratch, which usually results in me doing less with the eq or something slightly different that gets me the result i wanted in the first place.

Any time you get into that rabbit hole of chasing tiny decibels of tiny frequencies, you can get a bit tunnel vision. Sometimes it helps to go back a bunch of steps and ask yourself if you need to do anything at all. Also, sometimes i just become convinced that a certain frequency range is where my problems/solutions are to be found, and end up later finding out that it was something else, or in some cases that even what i changed had become a new problem.

Lastly, i would just reiterate that the guitars on this sound really really good to me. I like the way there is a balance between body and definition personally, and think it works nicely.

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:23 pm
Walrus meat

Thank ya for the words of wisdom. I really need to exercise more of that sort of perspective reset shit. It is very, very easy for me to just completely lose sight of what is really going on. :red:

Here's where I ended up: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... %20MIX.wav

Guitars are a little bit too buried, IMO. Very close tho.

Bonus round:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... 20RUFF.wav

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... NG%204.wav

These are very unmixed, but two of my favorites on the thinger.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:31 pm
Winston Wolf

Regarding the first song, out of the two mixes, i probably prefer the original you poasted as it stands. I dunno if it is just a levels thing or what. The more recent mix seems to be running away a bit more with the low end of things. Comparatively to the earlier mix, the vocals are a bit low and the guitars as you mentioned as well. If you are aiming for a hi-fi polished sort of vibe, the mix you have on the first is IMO very close to that. There is something about the loudness of the separate elements coupled with the fact that they remain quite clear even in the face of being almost all as loud as each other that makes the thing as a whole seem very slick. The main thing i note though, is the looser low end on the new one.

I would be curious to see what the next stage will be for this new mix though. Keep doing what you are doing and see where you get. It is a pretty great band to be able to work with, sounds-/songs-wise. I really like what you have so far for sure. :huzzah:

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next