View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Disco from Garda's Live Drummer Era 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Disco from Garda's Live Drummer Era
Degenerate rough mix, sans vocals

As we've been combing the archives as of late to assemble a full-length out of the material from the first iteration of the band, I've been comping takes together to see what we have and where it falls on the rocks/sucks axis.

Mix is a bit skechy, especially the synths and bass, but it was more for the purpose of finding good takes, the mix itself being an afterthought grown of boredom. Posted here for no real reason. :snax:

Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:36 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: Disco from Garda's Live Drummer Era
Regarding the Snare Of Massivity, are you doing less to it than you have in the past, or more, to get what you have here, which is not sonically unwieldy in the least?

Just sounds like a good thuk snare, not some kind of messy wubloork one. Which onomatopoeia aside, has what you've got here feeling like a better/more appropriate fit.

Will you no longer have a drummer going forward from here? I knew you were occasionally playing wifout one live, but didna realize that the fellow had properly exited stage left.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:26 am
Simethicone

Re: snaresounds and what's being done to said snare, this session had three mics on the snare, an Audix i5 on top, RE20 on the shell, and Sennheiser 441 underneath. The top snare got hit with a Distressor while tracking, and I used a Waves API 2500 comp on the bottom snare in the mix to sorta squash the attack- I only wanted the snare rattle from that mic, as it was otherwise pretty paper-y sounding. The shell mic has no compression at all at any point. Expander'd the crap out of it with Softube's version of the Valley People Dynamite- come for the OTT compression, stay for the smoooove gating, aw yeah. (This thing has become my favorite software expander/gate; doesn't produce wonky scratchy sounding leftovers on the track.) Other than that, judicious EQ, cutting a wide swath through about 600 to 2.5k- seems counterintuitive until you've heard the thing un-EQed. Highpassed it up around 80hz. Think I tweaked the top end a bit.

I suppose it's probably less overall, but regardless, it's certainly done smarter. It turned out to be remarkably useful, at least if you like your snare to sound like an old '80s drum machine.

And for the time being, we're drummer-less and have been operating as such for a while. We're not actively seeking a live drummer, though if we found the proper multi-instrumentalist weirdperson we wouldn't be opposed. Especially if they were up for a more minimalist kind of setup.

How's the floor tom sitting in the verses, if I may ask?

I'm also going for a narrower drum image and overall dryer drum sounds, if that affects anything. Not a whole lotta room mics happening here.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:45 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Snaxocaster wrote:
How's the floor tom sitting in the verses, if I may ask?

It's giving me no fuss. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:19 pm
Simethicone

Figured I'd ask- I mixed the thing on headphones and the verses, save for the strings and some drummachiney sounds, are almost all bass instruments. I fear the murk.

Obligitory guitar content: Chris (from the band, not you obviously) played all the guitars on this one. '89 Strat Plus with Lace Sensors into a TC G-Major 2 and Silverface Super Reverb for the funk bits, early '80s Les Paul Custom --> Z.Vex Box Of Rock --> Super for the solo bit. Oh, and an EHX Memory Boy. Bass is all Fender Precision with a pick if I'm remembering right, into a Sansamp and an SVT + 8x10. Probably an RE20 on bass cab. Rode NTK on the clean funk guitars, 57 on the lead.

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:58 pm
Walrus meat

Forget to reply, but Alex and I were jamming to this the other day. Iz goot, I like.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]