View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Remixing for fun and profit. And videos. And an LP. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Remixing for fun and profit. And videos. And an LP.
We shot a video for this a couple weeks back. And another song. And we have a third video yet to film. Since we're in the process of compiling our various recordings for LP porpoises, the EP stuff gets the ol' remix.

We re-did the bass and vocals; I still have to cut my backing vocals here, but this should be the real lead vocal track. Ditto the bass, though I may have to find a good take of the fill before the solo. Which was also re-done as the thing was changed to match the live version. Red Tele Custom on the neck pickup, tapped, into Fender Super.

I don't know if the bass is a boomy mess on anyone else's end, but I'm liking the end result, and with very minmal EQ. Highpass at 40hz, the Pultec cut/boost trick at 60hz on the "amp" track. (Avid 11R on an SVT patch, with a Tubescreamer for a little grit. My Sansamp VT Bass for the DI.) A little compression, and Bob's your uncle. This might be the first proper appearance of the "Rick James" Musicman on a Garda track.

Vocals have no EQ at all. None. Zero. SM7B --> DBX 386.

In general, there's a lot less EQ and compression this time around on everything. I assume that will be true for the rest of the completed catalog.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:40 am
Pendulous

Post Re: Remixing for fun and profit. And videos. And an LP.
The bass is very prominent but not 'muddy' - maybe borderline but not really. I really like them telecaster sounding guitars, though when the mix gets thick the left side rhythm guitar mostly just sounds like presence?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:23 am
Simethicone

Unstrung wrote:
The bass is very prominent but not 'muddy' - maybe borderline but not really. I really like them telecaster sounding guitars, though when the mix gets thick the left side rhythm guitar mostly just sounds like presence?

I would like to focus the bass a little more- playing it back at high volumes, it is sorta on the edge of muddy, I agree, but it never quite crosses that line. That being said, if I could maybe narrow it down into its own space a bit, the overall end result would be that much more polished.

Re: the left side dirty rhythm guitar- Telecaster into a Dual Rec. if that explains anything. :lol: I don't think there's any EQ on it at all? The right-hand side is a loud AC30, for comparison, and has a lot more midrange. That's probably an easy fix- the Dual Rec track, while aggressive, doesn't have the same definition in the mix, I'd agree.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:14 pm
Simethicone

Mixed this bastard, too. Well, mixed-ish. Contains funk. Needs vocals, which are on some other hard drive somewhere. Different session, different drum sound.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:46 am
Simethicone

The one song our bassist sings. Now with placeholder-ish vocals. I'll make some sense of the vocal takes later, but this will work for now. First real mix on the Focals.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:37 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
I feel like the vocal should sound creepier somehow. You have this screwy near-happy michael jackson thriller synth thing going on, and then this serial killer monologue kind of hoarse whispered over the top.

I say it somehow works, and you should run with it.

What are you using for a vocal mic? Are you applying a reverb to it, or is it picking up from the room?

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:26 am
Walrus meat

This track is tight, yo. There's sort of a Tomahawkdisco vibe going on to it. I like yr bassist's vocals.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:05 pm
Simethicone

The vocals here are from an older session, but I'll guess from the sound the clean vox tracks are an SM7B. Good to know in case we want to change something or touch something up- we have one of those. Nothing special on the back end, just a Soundcraft console. The dirty vox are an old Telefunken TD-25. Don't let the maker fool you- I think "TD" might stand for "tape deck". :lol: That has a 1/4" TS out, and we ran it into... I want to say a Barber Direct Drive?

Edit: yeah, it was definitely one of these:

Vocals were tracked in an iso boof, so any 'verb is from a plugin that says "Lexicon" on it. It's a small room sound, just to give it some sense of space. There's three sends on the vocals- one into said 'verb, one into an Eventide channel strip plugin doing the Micro Pitch Shift thing, and a third into a dirty slapback from Soundtoys Echoboy.

I'll see what I can do re: making the vocals creepier. :D Definitely not done with the vocal production on this, and more creepy is probably more better. The goofy juxtaposition of funk/disco/Michael Jackson and serial killer monologue is completely intentional. It's supposed to be perverse. :eyebrows:

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:59 pm
Simethicone

Unstrung wrote:

I still have to fix the dirty rhythm guitars, but it's six in the damn morning. Has backing vocals now- though my backups in the chorus might as well be the lead line and often come across that way live. That's gonna need to get sorted in the mix.

I'm still adjusting to the new monitauring situation, so I'm not sure how things work out on other systems. This one's definitely brighter, and to me, clearer. I don't know if it's better, though. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m89p05goi3erume/PROMISE_7_9_test.mp3?dl=0

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:05 am
Simethicone

I believe this one is finished.

Assuming this mix is approved, we should be seeing a video for this shortly.

Halfass mastering job by yours truly = U-he Satin tape sim (30 ips, noise reduction on), Plugin Alliance Vertigo comp doing 1.5-2dB on peaks, Voxengo Elephant doing not a whole lot. The end result is a slightly punchier snare and 2-3dB more level overall.

According to the TT Dynamic Range Meter, it's still at like DR12, too. :D

I'm only "mastering" stuff for the videos, not the LP. We're going with a legit mastering engineer with credits on real records for that.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:14 am
Simethicone

Current state of mix dicking-around: Degenerate, as it stands ATM.

There are times as our production values improve that I think our arrangements are a mess, and I don't know WTF to do about it? :?

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:41 am
Simethicone

And now for something completely different. Your Wings very rough mix

This one will take some sorting.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:04 pm
Winston Wolf

I don't recognize this'n. Have your poasted it befoe?

Is its end form that of an instrumental?

What sort of sorting will it get? (Meaning what of it aren't you into at this stage?)

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:44 pm
Simethicone

I may have posted the main synth lick ages ago? It turned into a jam of sorts. And yeah- it's intended as an instrumental. We began playing it live and just never bothered to write lyrics. :lol:

Re: what needs tweaking, the bass tone, to me, is some odd combination of murky and thin, and sounds overly compressed. It was tracked like that in... 2013? So there's not really much I can do about it. SVT 7 Pro --> Ampeg 8x10 + RE20; Sansamp into Avalon tube DI box. I think that's largely the compression I'm hearing- tubeslamming. I suppose I can make it work.

The drum sounds, too. Particularly blending the 909 stuff. I might wind up using a different 909 library that I sampled myself off an old Alesis synth just 'cause it cuts well in the mix. Might dump the live kick drum entirely.

Rhythm section stuff, mostly.

Disconnect rough mix with vocals

Now, this one has most of the vocals. Needs harmonies. But the lead vocal came out really well. I don't even bother to EQ the SM7B on vox half the time. :D

This is all fakedrums pretending to be realdrums. Superior Drummer. I'm gonna give it a shot with BFD3 and see what happens.

Obligatory guitar content- no Fenders for me here. I borrowed Chris's Les Paul Custom and PRS Custom 24. Mesa Electradyne with a Z. Vex Box of Rock in front. Probably a Mills cab with G12-80s. Plain old SM57.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:07 pm
Winston Wolf

Like the bass sounds.

Also, in the verse, everything about the drums sounds great to me, except for the toms, which to me are a bit mismatched soundwise. That is it though to me, they are just a bit too metaldrums there.

In the other sections you start to lose the snare some(thins out a little, maybe due to something else eating its space?). But overall, before i read what you wrote, i was going to ask what the drums were, due to their goodness, aside from those toms.

The vocal is a proper and slick go of it as well. Aside from the SM7 what are you running there?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:19 pm
Simethicone

No vocals yet on this one. Though I can promise you the lyrics are ridiculous. :lol:

Apiary, very rough "mix"

Drums at the moment are just the raw MIDI file in Superior I got from Chris. They are a scratch track. I will have to properly drum-ify these.

Bass is the Rick James Musicman into Sansamp and... It sounds to me like what was supposed to be the amp track wound up being a clean DI track instead. :red: I thew Recabinet on it to test out the amp modeler in the new version.

Guitars are... Should be my silverburst Tele into boosted Electradyne for my main heavy rhythm tone on the left. My "solos" should be the same rig. Chris's parts are something into a Diezel Herbert on the right. I'd have to check my notes. The outro guitar, which I will need to re-track, because I am not happy with the tone, is my Strat. This is the one bit I've "mixed", trying to create a big stereo thing with Echoboy and an effect patch on a Lexicon, just as proof of concept.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:24 pm
Walrus meat

You get ya mixes to sound so damn polished, I am envious. :huzzah:

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:29 pm
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Like the bass sounds.

Also, in the verse, everything about the drums sounds great to me, except for the toms, which to me are a bit mismatched soundwise. That is it though to me, they are just a bit too metaldrums there.

In the other sections you start to lose the snare some(thins out a little, maybe due to something else eating its space?). But overall, before i read what you wrote, i was going to ask what the drums were, due to their goodness, aside from those toms.

The vocal is a proper and slick go of it as well. Aside from the SM7 what are you running there?

That bass is awesome. Basically records itself.

I did kinda scoop the crap out of the midrange of the toms there, and that wound up being the end result. They're pretty mids-y otherwise. If it's the section I'm thinking of, I'm betting it's the synth eating the snare, 'cause I hear it too. Synth sounds can be a bear to mix in "normal" rock mixes as there's so much extra crap going on frequency-wise. Way too full-range for their own good.

Re: the vocal, DBX 386 mic pre, low cut filter engaged. On the track, Slate VCC on the Neve setting for fake console goodness. I like the separation it adds. Soundtoys Decapitator, just a touch acting as a little compressor. Waves 1176, blueface, acting as a big compressor. U-he Satin tape sim pretending it's a Studer at 30 ips. So, basically comp/saturation that thinks it's real gear. On the sends, Eventide Ultra Channel on H3000 Micro Pitch Shift mode for the Big Pop Vocal thing. Impulse of an EMT 250 for 'verb. Soundtoys Echoboy on a Memory Man patch for delay. It does a passable impression of two Memory Men for stereo. Again, all fake high-end hardware. The fact the performance doesn't suck doesn't hurt, either. :red:

Honestly, I could have thrown a compressor on it and left it at that. Would probably still work just fine. Bit of a different vibe.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:39 pm
Winston Wolf

Around 2:40something, the bass on this last one starts to sound REAL Jesus Lizard-y, and it is fucking great.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:01 pm
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Around 2:40something, the bass on this last one starts to sound REAL Jesus Lizard-y, and it is fucking great.

:isay: Yeah, I'm okay with that as well.

Okay, rough mix, done in under two hours. No vocals yet because we haven't recorded them. Still needs a few other random bits. Quark Regal rough mix

I should probably be done mixing for the day.

Re: guitars on this, I played the noisy bent chords, chunky riff, and outro solo at rehearsal, DIed, and sent them on their way for reamping. Chris played the funky bits essentially doubling my rhythm part with different voicings, and the fake Gilmour leads. Gear is thusly:

Chris from Garda wrote:
rhythm: Mark III R2 (no graphic EQ) -> G12-65 -> 57 & SM7B
lead: Diezel Ch 3 (no mid cut, gain between 9 & 10 o'clock, EQ is basically a bell curve) -> G12-80s -> 57 & SM7

My tracks were a bit of a juxtaposition from yours (intentionally...), at least for the rhythm stuff. I went brighter for mine, darker for yours. Surprisingly, the lead channels on the Diezel and Mark III aren't too far apart at the end of the day, but the Blue Dogs and G12-65s definitely sound different.

Rhythm 1: strat pickup position #2 -> box of rock (no boost) -> Super
rhythm 2: strat pickup position #3 -> box of rock (boost & gain) -> Supa Trem -> iStomp Chorus -> Super
Lead 1: LP neck -> Mark III Lead (EQ engaged but mostly flat with a slight boost at 2200 & 6600) -> Blue Dog Alnico
Lead 2: Strat position #1 -> Mark III Lead (EQ engaged same as above) -> Blue Dog Alnico

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]