View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
I've started seriously working on this metal thing. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post I've started seriously working on this metal thing.
...with sketchy demo clips! Really just starting to get riffs down so I can start hammering out real arrangements for these things. Most of these are quite short; nothing goes over two minutes here as they're skeletons of the front end of songs.

All guitars are Tele Custom --> Avid 11R --> Warm TB12, and a couple compressors not compressing, just for color. ART Pro VLA II with NOS Raytheon 12AU7s pushed pretty hard, into Warm 1176, also pushed a fair bit for some transformer action. All bass is Warwick Corvette --> Sansamp VT Bass --> Warm TB12, with Waves LA2A and Pultec plugins. Drums are all shitty scratch tracks with SD2.

Bastard Suns.

Destrier.

Weltschmerz. An oldie-but-goody. Time change hell.

And You, Brutus? See above. Old melodeath, worth keeping around.

They Will Welcome Us As Liberators. Doomulus!

H. ergaster. A thrash riff. Not sure where this is going. Even shittier scratch drums with EZDrummer.

Temple Of Reason. More stealing of old riffs.

Battle Of Wits With An Unarmed Man. From the HCAF days, resurrected for thrashing porpoises. Will need arrangement, but these couple riffs are sturdy enough.

:rawk:

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:50 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: I've started seriously working on this metal thing.
Shit is cool man. I especially like Weltschmerz and Bastard Suns and look forward to seeing where they all go from here. :huzzah:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 pm
Walrus meat

That bass tone really is sounding dope, proper CLICKITY CLACKITY! with still plenty of lowend.

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 pm
Simethicone

chris_d wrote:
Shit is cool man. I especially like Weltschmerz and Bastard Suns and look forward to seeing where they all go from here. :huzzah:

I see you like the ones that throw 4/4 completely out the window, and don't even stay in whatever time they're in for more than a few bars at any point. :eyebrows: Why am I not surprised by this? :snax: I think those two may actually be my favorite as well. It's funny, I haven't seriously played this sort of stuff in ages, or written it in even longer, so your guess is as good as mine as to where it ends up. I suppose I'm trying to straddle a bit of a line between melody and dissonance (particularly on the above-mentioned), and I'm at a bit of a loss re: vocals. Whatever winds up on there in the end will hopefully work though; metal as a whole is not vocal-centric music, and while I've considered putting clean singing over the whole thing just to be a prick about it (see also: liberal use of standard-tuned things that say Fender on the headstock) I suspect a good portion of it would be best served with some combination of DM growls, ugly yelling, Fields Of The Nephilim/Tom Waits-style gravelyness, industrial distortion, and whatever else. We'll see.

Related: I'd love to have a real drummer on this, but finding someone who can A) play it, B) is sufficiently un-flakey to actually do the sessions, and C) is within my meager budget, is probably unlikely.

Broseidon wrote:
That bass tone really is sounding dope, proper CLICKITY CLACKITY! with still plenty of lowend.

I credit the Sansmap, and the fact I had to crank the treble on said to compensate for the dead strings on my 'Wick at the moment. Which is fine for mellower stuff, but more abrasive genres generally demand fresh strings. Still, it works out, and I'm pleased with the overall clarity of the bass tone even allowing for that. Also, keeping everything in standard or D rather than seriously downtuning allows me to take advantage of the 5-string's 5-stringness. It's nice to hit a note two octaves below the guitars every once in a while.

Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:44 pm
Simethicone

I hate to actually ask this sort of thing, especially as they are sort of unfinished thoughts, but I wouldn't mind Mr. Geoff weighing in with a thought or two, even if it was "needs more information" or, heaven forfend, "honestly- hit the woodshed a bit more". :unstrung: :snax:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 am
Pendulous

Sorry for the delay on that Snaxzo.

It is doap. You have your own sound going, not only because you stubbornly refuse to not tune down or not use a Fender, but just in your touch and your ideas.

Like Chris I also liked the less 4/4 ones. It'd be the tits to see you flesh this out more. If you did so whatever vocal approach you choose would probably play a huge part in defining what be this.

Only good things to say generally.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:00 am
Simethicone

Now that I have the time to work on this again, it's returned to the front burner. A friend of mine from an industrial band is probably going to wind up doing the majority of the singing/yelling/screaming/growling on this, as I am the slowest lyricist on the planet. We've talked about collaborating for ages, and outside of my appearing onstage with them some years ago and shredding through a Sisters of Mercy song, it hasn't happened yet. He was looking for a new project to work on- his main band just finished their 9th record- and I threw him a curveball. I've heard him go from Bowie to Halford to metal growls many a time- dude can sing, and we always fuck around at shows (we're often on the same bill) singing random things backstage, during setup, or in between bands. Sometimes legitimate songs, sometimes profoundly serious originals such as "Hookers and Blow" and "Wax Your Ass". :lol:

Since this is a labor of love and tribute to things I listened to back when, I'll try and solicit contributions from my more metallurgically inclined friends for additional shredding and yelling. :nods: I'd still like to get a real drummer on this, but that may be difficult and cost money. We'll see.

Mon May 15, 2017 2:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]