View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Robot Stevie Nicks. 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Robot Stevie Nicks.
Holy Melodyne, Batman!

Now if I could only get the thing to not sound like I'm singing through an old Digitech multieffect pedal from 1993, that would be great. But damn. :hypno: I am pretty certain that bears no resemblance to my real voice. :dukes:

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:36 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Post Re: Robot Stevie Nicks.
That is pretty solidly bizarre, and honestly, if you didn't tell folks that it was a male vocal octave-up, they probably wouldn't know. It sounds just as much like a female voice + octave-down or doubled with a lower octave part. You can hear the lower level, but like i said, the way folks listen to music(i.e. stream youtube videos) i think that a feller could get away with this if the sound was one they liked. I hear a lot worse on the modern pop shit i hear at the supermarket, f'rinstance... :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:15 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Also, for certain uses, i bet you could aggressively cut the low end out of the end result via EQ, and it would greatly reduce the 2-octaves-at-once vibe the thing has.

Would probably work swell-ly for some (not too)robot female background vox.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
The octave-down thing is just the original vocal double at its original pitch. Emphasizing that (or the original unaltered lead) in the mix and using the "female" voice as the backing vocal provides a very different effect, more of the Cohen/Cave/Sisters of Mercy/etc. thing. Which was the original intent, until I realized reversing their roles could be amusing. It's Melodyne's formant shifting that makes it, with some manual tweaks to certain notes, passable. Now, if I could figure out how to remove the metallic modulation artifacts, I might actually use it as a lead voice on a thing or two. :idk:

The formant tweaking is what makes it useful- you have to shift the formant up a bit aside from just the octave, and it's very much a "by ear" thing to correspond to an individual voice. My limited fooling says it's better for turning a baritone into Robot Stevie Nicks than turning a tenor into something that sounds like a cartoon character, and it prefers generally cleaner, less gritty singing.

Future boredom will likely see further examples of this foolery. Mostly, I think, to create backing vocal layers that don't sound horrid soloed. But for the odd thing or two, it could be an interesting alternate voice.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:25 am
Pendulous

That's odd :shock: It made a vocal trannie out of you

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]