View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Boss Katana 50 
The Cream Of The Crop

Post Boss Katana 50
https://www.dropbox.com/s/alh6er5b1ukzo ... 0.mp3?dl=0

LTD MH-100QMNT > Katana 50 > USB out > Reaper no processing at all. Legit not even using an interface, just ASIO4all to run my HDMI audio through my TV into my stereo lol

Using the Brown channel with the amp's software's tube screamer emulation in front of it. I don't remember what the cab sim settings are.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:45 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

Post Re: Boss Katana 50
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntgbn1iy53wuq ... 2.mp3?dl=0

That's a little more like it. Same channel etc just tweaked the settings quite a bit.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:07 am
Walrus meat

Quite fucking impressive sounding for a tone that passed through a television, haha. Sounds good, i've heard those little Katanas are badass but have yet to play through one.

Is brown channel an EVH exploding marshall kinda deal?

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:17 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

Basically a 5150. Like imagine you bought a 5150 for $220, but it comes with a bunch of FX and a clean channel that's actually good (and capable of pretty good breakup if you're into that dirty clean tone like I am. I'd say it's Fender-esque but owning a Twin I don't think it's snappy enough. Kinda reminds me of the clean channel on my old Peavey Bravo especially when it's pushed into breakup.) and you have the Katana. I don't like the lead channel much (maybe if I played 7 or 8 string, it's too clanky and twangy for me) the crunch channel is good (very 5150 clean channel but a little more vintage-y) the brown channel is excellent. It does a better emulation of tubes than most VSTs out there. There's none of that weirdness in the 5-8k range that VSTs tend to have. You can dime the treble and it's obviously gonna be way too bright but it's never harsh.

The stock speaker is pretty shit. I put a Texas Heat in it because I had one randomly laying around. If I had one, I'd say a Celestion t75 would be a better choice. The Texas Heat is a little too dark for this amp, but I think a v30 would end up being icepick-y because this thing already has a LOT of high mids, mids in general really. I bet it'd still cut through over a Recto or other scoopy tube amp with the mids all the way down. (in order to change the speaker, though, you have to remove the chassis and the Texas Heat is what mechanics call an interference fit; it's literally touching the chassis to the point that I'm pretty sure when I tightened the chassis screws down I might have bent the bottom panel of the chassis a bit. Whatever, it still works.)

The software is the shit, so many options to fuck with. There's 9 different cab sims in various configurations, 3 for recording, 3 for live, and 3 blends of the other two. All the FX are there, except for shit like a Whammy. They sound nice too but there's no stereo option for them which is kind of a bummer. There's like 5 different delays to choose from, all fully customizable (in the software you can run two delays at once, but you have to have reverb with the 2nd delay turned on. Doesn't really serve a purpose for me.), all the different kinds of reverbs (I don't like the spring reverb, it seems almost microphonic? Like what happens when you feed way too much signal into a real spring reverb) Also like a myriad of different distortions and overdrives. There's even a Metal Zone in there, a Rat sim, tube screamer, shit like that. I'm actually using the tube screamer in both clips. There's a post EQ section (4 band with parametric low and high mids and low/high pass filters), and a noise gate which works but isn't super amazing.

It's loud enough to gig with on it's own too which is pretty amazing.

They got like 90% of the features nailed. The only things I will say I think are bad are the spring reverb sim and the noise gate.

For the price, man, there's nothing on the market right now that can even touch it IMO.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:28 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

It does reamping natively too, no interface or reamp box required: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxpjxpadje7va ... l.mp3?dl=0

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Good to hear more from you. :rawk:

Amp sounds pretty good.

Audio seems a bit low bitrate? Is there a way to upload something at a higher rate?

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
ACTUALLY, never mind. I was streaming the file, which dropbox seems to do very cheaply/"preview"-only style.

I just downloaded it, and it sounds fine that way. :isay:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Thanks, man! :rawk:

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:00 pm
Winston Wolf

I have heard nothing but good stuff about these. I am second guessing carrying around marshall heads/ bogner mammoth combos....

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 am
The Cream Of The Crop

I've been wondering for a few years now why people even buy tube amps anymore. Between VSTs and these new analog distortion circuit/digital FX and control amps like the Katana, not to mention Kempers and shit, tube amps are kind of becoming obsolete. This Katana doesn't sound as good as a tube amp, but it's good enough. It doesn't have that (best way to describe it I guess) "sounds like it's coming from the walls instead of out of the cab" sound like a tube amp does, but it has all the sound quality and top end smoothness. I guess it just doesn't fill up a room like a tube amp does? I don't know how to describe it. Even through a 4x12 with v30s these amps are very directional (tried the head through a Marshall cab before I bought the combo). I guess that's the difference between tubes and solid state at this point? When I'm jamming through it in the room I tend to have it off to the side instead of right in front of me like I would with a tube amp, if it's right in front of me it doesn't have the right vibe?

Coming from a guy who used to own a room full of tube amps, I seriously don't see the point in owning one anymore unless you gig big venues constantly and you don't want to mic up/line out into the FOH. Only because of the aforementioned issue. It's plenty loud enough, in a rehearsal space it will legit drown out a loud metal drummer on a loud ass Pearl Export kit. If you're playing a larger venue with less wall reflections you don't need anywhere near that much volume.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]