View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
A Notebook From 1998. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post A Notebook From 1998.
Was looking for a specific old drawing, found this instead:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm
Winston Wolf

Post Re: A Notebook From 1998.
My scanner does this annoying thing where it auto-crops the scans, often incorrectly. Epson, geniuses that they are, do not appear to have made this wonderful feature disableable. Awsum.

Anyhow, here is a wild smattering of randome, that begins before the above, 1997, and then goes wildly back and forth between 1997, 1998, 1999, with possibly some earlier and later stuff crammed haphazardly in there. I really don't know.

And i STILL haven't found the drawings that i was originally looking for. I really hope that they were not in the notebook that was stolen with my bag from the band van in NYC back in the day. But that might explain why i haven't see them yet...

Anyhow, both very randome, and very olde:

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:23 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
There is some neat stuff in there. Also, a couple of the annotations are quality (ground down for your comfort; there were blue skies...).

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:49 pm
Winston Wolf

It was an odd transitional time for me. Half ugly artschool/artschool-reaction leftover styles, half the general nonsense that i now consider busydoodling(and which is the only drawing or anything, that i ever do anymore).

It is funny because between 1997 and 1999 there are piles and piles of shit, and most of everything i did was on unlined/"art" paper. Starting sometime in 1999, it sort of transitions into lined notebook paper, where most of the stuff that came out of that time was written(terrible dramatic 23-year-old shit mostly) with just very randomly made pictars.

The period of brown paper sketchbook was probably about the worst for both. Terrible pictures, and terrible words, with a set of ridiculous handwriting affectations that make me want to punch the younger me in the gut. That would have been right about 1997, or just after leaving school. I scanned some of it, just because it was there, but really, kind of embarrassing for me to flip through that one.

The yellow notebooks were similarly, but more like half-embarrassing. Generally better than the brown one, but in some cases merely a matter of degrees. :red:

Only three of these things actually date back as far as school. the straightjacket one, chickensuit, and the one right after them. My school sketchbooks are fucking awful.

I enjoy seeing the fashion in which i have always hated anatomy, and battled against drawing it correctly. Though i note and recognize as valid, my one time interest in the structure of hands and gloves, which is probably the only actual work i have ever sat down to do in drawing.

I also enjoy the red gas pump watercolor, and the pen studies of the triangle fire bystanders, more-or-less-real, and imagined.

I was a little surprised to see the busy check work style that i currently tend to doodle in, show up as early as 1999. I thought it was later. But i was also surprised to find that of the notebooks i have here, after 1999, up to like 2009, there are pretty much no drawings whatsoever, not even shitty half doodles, except for technical things for cutting wood for amps and cabs and stuff. Lots and lots of words, no pictures.

Other than that, it kind of serves to act as a good reminder to me(not that i really required one) of why i was never going to do very well in the school i chose. Youngdood hubris is a funny blinding thing. I couldn't draw for shit. :lol:

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 am
Winston Wolf

Also, it is interesting for me to read some of the notes and scribbles added in.

The one with the policemen had a note about engagement rings(16 or so were found in the rubble of the fire, though my note said eight). Which Epson's autocrop seems to have cut out for me on the actual scan. :red:

Also the main cop and guy-looking-down came(but altered) from this one:

Interestingly, i thought the one about copper and taking over was from an outer limits episode or something, but the wonders of internets and youtubes has actually shown me today that it was in fact some Alfred Hitchcock Presents action, which, awesomely, is viewable in full, here:

Funny, to see a thing once ever, and then not again for thirteen or so years, and still remember all of it. TV used to be so much more interesting than it is now. And this is practically just a play. Office, Bar, Porch, Alley. Plus Steve Fucking McQueen. :huzzah:

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:45 am
Pendulous

Nice! I have sketchpads from back in the day too, but after a certain age it all just became boobies and stuff.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 am
Winston Wolf

I've been over this a few times. I am very impressed each time I look at it. Some of it reminds me of nightmares as well. Well done.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:47 pm
Walrus meat

The crown that seems to pop up in a lot of your drawings is basically all I would scribble on whatever was in front of me in high school.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:32 pm
Winston Wolf

Broseidon wrote:
The crown that seems to pop up in a lot of your drawings is basically all I would scribble on whatever was in front of me in high school.

Yarr, it kind of started out as a cadillac logo like a greaser tattoo, and then sort of got more kingly like a basquiat sort of crown.

But in the end i decided that all along it was a jester's cap wif bells and things. Clown shit.

I mean, those drawings up there are terrible and i have grown to *really* dislike them for my own reasons, but i still kind of like the idea of a thing that is just as likely to be a ruler's crown or a clown's cap.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]