View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
New Drum Jam up in this bitch 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: New Drum Jam up in this bitch
Unstrung wrote:
God damn. You've all raised (are raising) the bar so high.

I can finally sit down and see if I can write something. So far all I know is there's an arpeggio I heard in a Maiden song that I want to use as my starting point.

That's because, as Cam likes to point out frequently (and I agree!) there's real talent on this forum. :D You are included, of course! The regulars here are damn good at what they do, all of them. There isn't anyone I'd be like "oh god, I'm in a band with That Guy" about.

...and which Maiden song, pray tell?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:38 am
Pendulous

:unstrung:

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 am
Simethicone

metalfanat1c wrote:
Settings are Resonance on tight
Gain: 2 (beat the fuck out of the strings or it'll sound like a really tight Plexi)
High: Dimed
Mid: 4 or so
Low: 7 or so
OD-808: Drive 0 Tone: Dimed Level: Half

The impulse is 2 instances of s-preshigh via LeCab. One's high passed at about 150hz and low passed at about 8.75, the other one is only low passed at the same frequency.

Half the tightass palm mutes is the 335. These old ass Dirty Fingers pups have barely any low end, and what low end they have is uber clear and punchy.

Those Poulin plugins seem really, really nice. I've liked the sounds I've heard from them.

I'm shocked the lows on the amp are up so high, but like you said about the pickups...

There's something to be said for the low end of vintage gear, I think. It's been my experience that modern stuff has a lot- like, way, way more- more bottom but it's murky in comparison. Older gear has less lows overall but what it has is punchier and clearer. My TSL vs. my JMP was a perfect illustration of this. (I swear the JMP had deeper lows, too, where the TSL had way more muddy low-mid.) Also, using pickups that don't have a lot of bottom for metal seems like a smart idea to me; less to EQ out at the amp. You want tight lows, generally, and it's easy to get plenty out of modern amps. Getting it from the amp vs. the guitar seems like a recipe for clarity, especially in lower tunings. (Thus, I think, the popularity of the EMG-81, which is way overbright for a humbucker.)

Also, using lower output pickups, which I feel translate the tone of the instrument itself better, is really under-done in metal. There's this idea that everything in the chain needs to be monster gain/output, and that's silly when you're dealing with high gain amps with a boost pedal in front.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:49 am
Walrus meat

Woah, with a good, fat bass tone this would be absolutely crushing...
:shock:

Awesome tone, dude.
Perfect.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:58 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Snaxocaster wrote:
Those Poulin plugins seem really, really nice. I've liked the sounds I've heard from them.

I'm shocked the lows on the amp are up so high, but like you said about the pickups...

There's something to be said for the low end of vintage gear, I think. It's been my experience that modern stuff has a lot- like, way, way more- more bottom but it's murky in comparison. Older gear has less lows overall but what it has is punchier and clearer. My TSL vs. my JMP was a perfect illustration of this. (I swear the JMP had deeper lows, too, where the TSL had way more muddy low-mid.) Also, using pickups that don't have a lot of bottom for metal seems like a smart idea to me; less to EQ out at the amp. You want tight lows, generally, and it's easy to get plenty out of modern amps. Getting it from the amp vs. the guitar seems like a recipe for clarity, especially in lower tunings. (Thus, I think, the popularity of the EMG-81, which is way overbright for a humbucker.)

Also, using lower output pickups, which I feel translate the tone of the instrument itself better, is really under-done in metal. There's this idea that everything in the chain needs to be monster gain/output, and that's silly when you're dealing with high gain amps with a boost pedal in front.

Poulin makes the best amp sims out there.

The only extra tight vintage amp I've played was a 2204... Of course, when I shove a bunch of level boosting gear in front of my Twin, the low end (while fucking retarded with the lows OFF) is even tighter than the low end in the XXX in this clip.

The main issue I have with the 335 in a metal context, is through most amps, the pick attack is uber shrill. Probably because of the lack of low end from the pickups. However, the guitar is about twice as clear when it comes to string definition as my JB equipped Ibanez.

I agree wholeheartedly with the last point you made.
Broseidon wrote:
Woah, with a good, fat bass tone this would be absolutely crushing...
:shock:

Awesome tone, dude.
Perfect.

Thanks, dude! :huzzah:

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:59 am
Simethicone

I used to gig with a '76 JMP 2204. The low end from that amp is glorious. I sold it to Dark Angel on HCAF who pronounced it the best example of a JMP he'd ever heard. SD-1 in front, turn up and blast. Done. My settings on that amp were retarded as the EQ did nothing (treble and presence full off, mids, bass and gain full on, up as loud as the drummer would allow) but it was a fine, fine tone.

Do old Mark-series Mesas count as "vintage"? 'Cause that shit is tight.

I don't think vintage gear in general has tight low end- mostly the opposite, at least guitar amps- but the low end it has is cooler than the wall of woof and mud that "modern" low end seems to be. I like the resonance control on the Peavey stuff for that reason- it's a handy tool to shape the low end. I do like the lows from my bandmate's Diezel Herbert, but all things considered, if that amp doesn't own at everything, it needs to GTFO. Thankfully, it does actually own at whatever he needs it to do. And we're not metal. It's a great rock amp too.

ALSO: my friend whose story I related in the drumjam was downtown this eve and stopped by The 'Drome here for a bit. We drank some beers and she gave the song a listen. She laughed hysterically and pronounced it awesome.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:16 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Mesa Mark series are tight. Don't like them much, though. Not a fan of any Mesa I've played through... they're not my style at all.

I'd like to spend a full day trying to get metal tones out of old Marshalls. The 2204 I jammed through was a fucking monster, but it had to be so loud that noise ordinance laws didn't even matter anymore, they'd just take me to jail straight away for jamming through it at noon. I literally beat the shit out of my guitars... I break the low E string on every set of strings I buy. Even the 12-56 set I keep on my Ibanez. That's about half the reason my tones are as good as they are... it's also the reason the low E tuner yanked itself out of the headstock on said Ibanez...

So a vintage Marshall with me playing through it would probably have plenty of gain for teh br00tz.

I'd like to play through a Diezel someday, but that's unlikely given where I reside. There's not even a Randall dealer within 100 miles of me. :lol:

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:32 am
Jeremiah Johnson

Snaxocaster wrote:
Single, 'bucker.

Hey there........ :eyebrows:

Indeed

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:34 am
Simethicone

I know it's the Prophet you're ogling.

Right?

...right? :?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:36 am
Walrus meat

Hush...
:love:

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 am
The Cream Of The Crop

So finally got around to listening to all the takes.

Rather than saying something about everyone as I usually do, I'll just say that this forum has the highest talent per member ratio of any forum I've ever visited.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 am
Simethicone

metalfanat1c wrote:
Rather than saying something about everyone as I usually do, I'll just say that this forum has the highest talent per member ratio of any forum I've ever visited.

Cam says that a lot, and I've said it more than a few times, and I think it's absolutely true.

There's only a handful of people who are regulars on here, but they're all really good. :D

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:49 am
The Cream Of The Crop

It went up a bit when CoC joined. I have like 10 of his songs off his soundclick in my media library and I listen to them regularly.

Like I said in his "Hi I'm a noob" thread, dude's the most metal Tele player I've had the pleasure of listening to.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 am
Simethicone

Awesomeness. I'm not familiar with his work.

I like Teles for heavy stuff. They pull it off well. The Tele bridge is a ballsy, ballsy tone. Low output... doesn't matter. It's a mean-ass tone. I use one for industrial stuff on a reasonably regular basis.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:57 am
The Cream Of The Crop

I actually learned A New Level by Pantera on a Tele. Pretty much figured out guitar in general on one.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 am
Simethicone

Also, I can't help but read "CoC" as Corrosion Of Conformity, whom I like. :lol:

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Snaxocaster wrote:
Also, I can't help but read "CoC" as Corrosion Of Conformity, whom I like. :lol:

Corrosion of Conformity is indeed a great band.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:59 am
Simethicone

metalfanat1c wrote:
I actually learned A New Level by Pantera on a Tele. Pretty much figured out guitar in general on one.

The bridge pickup on a Tele might be one of the greatest sounds ever devised. A Tele bridge with a Strat neck and middle could be one of the greatest things ever.

I know they exist. I should play one sometime...

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Snaxocaster wrote:
metalfanat1c wrote:

The bridge pickup on a Tele might be one of the greatest sounds ever devised. A Tele bridge with a Strat neck and middle could be one of the greatest things ever.

I know they exist. I should play one sometime...

I agree with you. It's why I own a Tele. That sound is useful in a lot of contexts, contrary to popular belief.

Mine actually has some variety of a Rio Grande pickup in the bridge. It sounds like a traditional Tele pickup, but it's a good bit hotter.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:04 am
Simethicone

Criminally underrated by people who don't know what's up. Rated appropriately high by people who do. It's a hella nice high gain tone. It has a certain aggression to it that... most things don't. It's more than just clean twang. A lot more.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next