View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
anyone wanna sell me some good heaphones? 
Morrissey

Post anyone wanna sell me some good heaphones?
i'd like a good set of heaphones for around 75 bucks... what you got?

Apparently I am not allowed to put gear in my sig :idk:

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:24 am
Tsardocasm

Post Re: anyone wanna sell me some good heaphones?
Does this strike your fancy?

Member Of The Radium Water Gentleman's League Of Luxury.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:03 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Beautiful. :lol:

In all seriousness, you could score some used Sennheiser HD280 Pros, AKG 240s or Grado SR80s or Sony 7506s for $75 easily. They're only $100 new and kickass. Or maybe one of the new Shure or Beyerdynamic offerings or Audio Technica M50s, used, if you looked around? Though those are a bit more new.

I don't think anyone here has good 'phones they want to part with, honestly. And I'm thinking collectively we tend toward the Sennheisers for a number of reasons (fairly clinical sound; may take some getting used to. Good isolation, lots of output, clean.) I'm not saying this to be an ass; I don't honestly think any of us have pro cans we're willing to dump.

Save for the Grados (which have a lot of leakage, but are much praised for their sound quality) the first four are pretty well standard pro studio 'phones. The Sennheisers are the most controversial sonically, with a... hateful sound and preposterously deep bass extension that somehow manages to sound like there's no bass at all until you realize you're hearing everything cleanly deeper than you can actually hear. They're like the NS10s of headphones, But With Bass. You either love them for what they tell you or hate them for what they tell you. AKGs or Grados might be the listener's choice.

Given what I know of your background, I'd assume you have a decent stereo store in your area? I'd hit that up, along with your local GC or equivalent, and figure out what you like the sound of before you commit to buy. Bring something to reference off of. And something that for the love of friggin' Goddess is not 128kbps .mp3s that make cymbals sound like digitally aliased trash can lids. That reference isn't even relevant anymore- how long since we've seen metal trash cans that aren't like 55 gallon barrels? But I digress. You're into that psychedelic stuff, bring Dark Side Of The Moon on CD. :red:

Seriously, you will keep a good pair of headphones for a long time. Find something you like the sound of and then track a set down.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Not getting rid of my HD280Pros. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them...

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
metalfanat1c wrote:
Not getting rid of my HD280Pros. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them...

They're not the sort of thing one normally gets rid of. When I see used 'phones for sale, it's generally 'cause someone didn't get on with the sound. When you find keepers, they're keepers.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]