View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
SD2 
Pendulous

Post SD2
Toontrack has a bunch of tutorials on youtube. Points out a few things I didn't even think of using.

For instance... there is a channel which is one of those harmonica mics. You could bleed all your channels into it and presto, instantly your drums sound dirty and warm.

There's some. More videos still in there...

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Post Re: SD2
This is relevant to my interests.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
The Bullet mic thing rules. The more distant ambient mics are cool as well- only the close room is enabled when you first bring up SD2.

On a similar note, go to SSL's web site and download the Listen Mic Compressor plugin. It's free, and is cool on a parallel drum bus. (Parallel compression is :love: on drums- you get the beef and the shell resonance and still get all the punch.) It's the old Phil Collins thing, basically- he took a mono overhead and slammed it through the compressor for the talkback mic on an old SSL desk. The compressor sounds like shit because it was purely something to bring the level up for the guys in the tracking room to hear the engineer behind the desk. It's filthy and rules on drums. Also, similar to the 1176 All Buttons In room thing.

Fucking up the drums and blending it in to a normal sound kicks ass, even for normal rocksounds. It's surprising, if you listen back on a good system, how overdriven kicks and snares often are. Snares especially. Snares love overdrive. If you have the first Audioslave record (the good one :lol: ) kicking around, put that on and listen to how dirty those drums are. (And how overdriven Chris Cornell's vocal is most of the time. Not the subtle, occasional dirt of Superunknown [which is, IMO, one of the definitive rock vocal productions ever] by any means) It's an obvious modern example (and a good production- the bass tones on that rule!) which is why I bring it up, but this stuff is all over the place. Clean is overrated.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 pm
Pendulous

Ah yes indeed, I've had that SSL plugin for a while now. The thing has so much character... anything I really want to simultaneously compress and de-fidelity gets it. Goodbye lows and highs...
And it's free, so like, yeah. :mad:

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

Snaxocaster wrote:
The Bullet mic thing rules. The more distant ambient mics are cool as well- only the close room is enabled when you first bring up SD2.

On a similar note, go to SSL's web site and download the Listen Mic Compressor plugin. It's free, and is cool on a parallel drum bus. (Parallel compression is :love: on drums- you get the beef and the shell resonance and still get all the punch.) It's the old Phil Collins thing, basically- he took a mono overhead and slammed it through the compressor for the talkback mic on an old SSL desk. The compressor sounds like shit because it was purely something to bring the level up for the guys in the tracking room to hear the engineer behind the desk. It's filthy and rules on drums. Also, similar to the 1176 All Buttons In room thing.

Fucking up the drums and blending it in to a normal sound kicks ass, even for normal rocksounds. It's surprising, if you listen back on a good system, how overdriven kicks and snares often are. Snares especially. Snares love overdrive. If you have the first Audioslave record (the good one :lol: ) kicking around, put that on and listen to how dirty those drums are. (And how overdriven Chris Cornell's vocal is most of the time. Not the subtle, occasional dirt of Superunknown [which is, IMO, one of the definitive rock vocal productions ever] by any means) It's an obvious modern example (and a good production- the bass tones on that rule!) which is why I bring it up, but this stuff is all over the place. Clean is overrated.

I love the first Audioslave album, and I can definitely attest to everything said about it here. The mix at first listen sounds really raw and defined, but at closer listenings, there's a lot more to it than that. I don't think there's anything on that album that's totally clean. I like that... it's nice when compared to modern metal mixing styles.

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:22 am
The Cream Of The Crop

Holy shit! That bullet mic option in SD2 is like an instant "awesome snare crack" button. :love: :rawk:

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am
Simethicone

I was working in SD2 last night now that my computer is running properly again and humoring my drummer's(!) suggestion of replacing his parts with programming :hypno: for ease of mixing/doing it on the cheap. And I'm finding I have a difficult-er time getting SD2 to sit in the mix than I'd like. It sounds thin and less punchy compared to even the unprocessed real kick/snare/overhead tracks I used as reference. It always seems to sit easily with Pods, DI bass and softsynths with not much done to it. Putting it up against miced guitar and bass and analog hardware synths it's having a harder time.

Also, it's a bit of a bear getting the 16th note hi-hat thing to not sound obviously drummachiney, even with proper velocity articulation. I like that I can duplicate the bit where he's riding on the bell of the hats alternating with the ride though! That's cool as hell!

It sounds all kinds of good, but it needs added BEEF to sit better.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 am
The Cream Of The Crop

The snares in SD2 love being boosted around 200-500hz. The toms are a bit more tricky... they're not lacking in lows, but they can sound like it if something else is taking up their boomspace.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:22 pm
Simethicone

Or, "where I usually cut my real drummer's realsnare". :lol: Duly noted.I'm torn between the Black Beauty and the GMS Hasch Maple, I think.

And you're right about the toms not lacking low end- the 18" has unfuckingreal bottom.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:40 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
Or, "where I usually cut my real drummer's realsnare". :lol: Duly noted.I'm torn between the Black Beauty and the GMS Hasch Maple, I think.

And you're right about the toms not lacking low end- the 18" has unfuckingreal bottom.

dey go da boom boom.

Is it bad that I like, rarely use toms? Even when actually playing drums I am just not a big tom guy. I could be fine with a three-piece set :lol:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Pendulous

Maybe I should dial some bottom into my toms. That could be funtimes. BOOM BOOM.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 pm
Simethicone

I say do it.

I'm Bob Dole, and I endorse this boomthwack. :huzzah:

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 pm
The Cream Of The Crop

Snaxocaster wrote:

I've been digging the Hasch Maple (known in my SD2.2 as Ash/Maple) a lot here recently. It has a nice crack to it. I also like the Slingerland '70s a lot, as well. It's a bit more chunky sounding, at the expense of the maple snare's crispness. The Black Beauty is a bit too metallic and ringy for my personal tastes.

Also, use the fuck out of the AMB Bullet mic and room mics. They help fatten the kicks and snares quite a bit.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:49 pm
Simethicone

I wound up enabling bleed on everything into everything else. I went with the Black Beauty for proof of concept. Still fighting with the hats a bit, but that's my own dumbass fault in programming.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm
Best Supporting Actress

I was about to program some drums using 16th note hats, what problems were you running into? I want to avoid them.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

I kinda went overboard in the velocity variation and managed, I think, to make it sound like someone trying hard not to sound like a drum machine. That is all.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:39 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
I kinda went overboard in the velocity variation and managed, I think, to make it sound like someone trying hard not to sound like a drum machine. That is all.

Isn't that what all drummers are trying to do anyway :cop:

They have to justify not being replaced by a box.

Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:53 pm
Profile WWW
Pendulous

metalfanat1c wrote:

I've been digging the Hasch Maple (known in my SD2.2 as Ash/Maple) a lot here recently. It has a nice crack to it. I also like the Slingerland '70s a lot, as well. It's a bit more chunky sounding, at the expense of the maple snare's crispness. The Black Beauty is a bit too metallic and ringy for my personal tastes.

I've been using the 13" GMS PIccolo for all my br00talization programming. It works for me. Otherwise the 70's and the Black Beauty are nice for me. :D

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]