View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
If you needed to get a set for as cheap as possible ... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: If you needed to get a set for as cheap as possible ...
If you are patient you could probably do better than that too.

Basically with that kit, you would need a hi-hat stand, and all cymbals. That $250 could quickly become $450 to get a full kit together.

The longer you watch the ads, the more likely that you can get something silly for a deal.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Yeah there is a tama set with no hardware the guy has been posting for months at $450. I feel like a dick but I might throw him a lowball offer when I haz cash.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pendulous

Tyrannosaurus Reich wrote:
http://musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1110452

Like I said, even with the ungodly shipping that is cheaper than most of the shells I am seeing locally.

That is retard cheap.

It is also the very same drumset as I have.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:10 pm
Best Supporting Actress

I forgot about how nifty MusicGoRound could be, as long as you aren't buying anything that says Fender, Gibson, Marshall or Mesa on it.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Srs, just wait for some mom to sell her kid's drumset out from under him as soon as he leaves for school/military service. That is where the bargains are at.

If you have a car, troll the suburban yardsale scene a bit. I know a guy who got two drumsets, half a dozen stands, and a small pile of vintage zildjians for about $100.

The shit is out there, and folks want to get rid of it. Kids who just never learned how to play like Lars, or long suffering parents who have been simultaneously cursing the uncle that brought the drums into the picture in the first place, and counting the days before the kid left for the dorms long enough to off the thing behind his back.

Patience will help you, and will also give you an idea of what comes up for sale, and what it is worth in the IRL market.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:12 pm
Winston Wolf

Unstrung wrote:
Tyrannosaurus Reich wrote:
http://musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1110452

Like I said, even with the ungodly shipping that is cheaper than most of the shells I am seeing locally.

That is retard cheap.

It is also the very same drumset as I have.

Yeah, but with no mention of the stands, and no cymbals at all, it won't work out to be that cheap really. :idk:

Also, i would be curious to see how the fuck MGR would ship that biz. The shells might not arrive all that round.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 pm
Best Supporting Actress

chris_d wrote:
Srs, just wait for some mom to sell her kid's drumset out from under him as soon as he leaves for school/military service. That is where the bargains are at.

If you have a car, troll the suburban yardsale scene a bit. I know a guy who got two drumsets, half a dozen stands, and a small pile of vintage zildjians for about $100.

The shit is out there, and folks want to get rid of it. Kids who just never learned how to play like Lars, or long suffering parents who have been simultaneously cursing the uncle that brought the drums into the picture in the first place, and counting the days before the kid left for the dorms long enough to off the thing behind his back.

Patience will help you, and will also give you an idea of what comes up for sale, and what it is worth in the IRL market.

Yeah. I don't have the cash in hand right now, and this is about #4 on the list of gear to purchase, but I had no idea what to look for really. It may get bumped up to number 2 though, if ghetto-recording bands becomes a possibility. I need something to learn how to mic drums on, I already know how to play somewhat but reached my max potential on the very shitty electric kit I learned on and really just like being noisy as fuck in the new house. I still need to get a 5-string bass and a bassmap, but most importantly is a new interface.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Best Supporting Actress

Yeah shipping drums just seems ..... sketchy.

I was just looking more for prices, hopefully to use as an argument to knock some bills off a set locally. Plus, it is great time-killer at work.

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Walrus meat

Just a head's up, I have an extra hi-hat stand that I have no use for...
It just takes up space, and considering I got it for free I wouldn't have a problem just giving it up.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 am
Best Supporting Actress

Ok so this came up and I want to get your guys opinion on this, keeping in mind I am poor and suuck at drums.

This is guy has a Borg MD760 set with the bass, snare, toms and bass tom shells, a cowbell, two crashes (I think one is a ride), hi-hats, stands and hardware and everything minus a bass pedal and a drum key. Evidently, they are a subsidiary or something of First Act, and sell at Sam's club ... however, they are supposedly (from what I can find online, which isn't much) on par with other beginner kits in the $300-500 price range.

They would look like this (not actual kit, the pics the guy sent me are tinysville)

Here is the kicker, I can get them for just under $100. The kid wants a Nintendo DSi with Pokemon black, and I can get that on the cheap.

So whaddya think?

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Something about the toms and hardware makes me feel sketchy; they look like $100 drums. :?

Which they are, granted, but were it me, having had cheap drums (crappy Pacifics I got for nothing), I'd hold out to find some Exports or Rockstars or Ludwig or Yamaha or something on the cheap Because you could at least flip them for what you paid, and something with sturdier hardware is a big plus. The snare throw-off, hi-hat stand, kick pedal, tom mounts... that stuff matters, and if you're constantly dicking with a pedal that won't stay together, hats that close on you, toms that fall down, loose snares and all that other happy horseshit I've seen or experienced come with cheap kits, it's a lot less fun to play, and you're paying to fix or replace it in the end anyhow.

They are mad cheap though. I'd bring a drummer friend along if I was going to pick up an unknown quantity like that. But like I said, they look sketchy to me and I would pass. Also, I'm 99% positive the cymbals would suck, not just sonically but build-quality-wise. And you'll probably have or at least want to replace the heads post-haste. I'd hold out, and if it's not a pressing need Frankenkit the thing, which may be ugly but good sounding and reliable. I get the distinct impression drums are not like guitars where some of the cheap gear now is actually pretty decent.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:39 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
Something about the toms and hardware makes me feel sketchy; they look like $100 drums. :?

Which they are, granted, but were it me, having had cheap drums (crappy Pacifics I got for nothing), I'd hold out to find some Exports or Rockstars or Ludwig or Yamaha or something on the cheap Because you could at least flip them for what you paid, and something with sturdier hardware is a big plus. The snare throw-off, hi-hat stand, kick pedal, tom mounts... that stuff matters, and if you're constantly dicking with a pedal that won't stay together, hats that close on you, toms that fall down, loose snares and all that other happy horseshit I've seen or experienced come with cheap kits, it's a lot less fun to play, and you're paying to fix or replace it in the end anyhow.

They are mad cheap though. I'd bring a drummer friend along if I was going to pick up an unknown quantity like that. But like I said, they look sketchy to me and I would pass. Also, I'm 99% positive the cymbals would suck, not just sonically but build-quality-wise. And you'll probably have or at least want to replace the heads post-haste. I'd hold out, and if it's not a pressing need Frankenkit the thing, which may be ugly but good sounding and reliable. I get the distinct impression drums are not like guitars where some of the cheap gear now is actually pretty decent.

Basically what I thought, I just didn't know if these were like some randomly good drums that I should jump on.

I mean, they are called Borg after all.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Browsing my local CL reminded me, especially since yer down souf- look for stuff that came out of a church. It's probably in good shape and they usually don't seem to ask much for it.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:58 pm
Pendulous

Hehe, "Borg".

They look like some cheap ass drums bro. And I don't mean that like, 'what a value!'

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2