View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Went to my local Music-Go-Round... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Went to my local Music-Go-Round...
Been meaning to get out there for a while. I was actually psyched to find a couple Hellatone 60s there for a solid price, so i bought one and brought it home.

Only to find that it was blown with a bad coil. Brought it back today hoping to trade it for the other one, but that one also wound up being busted. :red:

So instead i wound up getting this stuff:

SM57, because i need one.

Then two 20" older cymbals. A 70s Zildjian Avedis and what i think is likely to be a 60s-70s UFIP crash ride.

Thus begins the first part of moving my drum setup away from a modern/metal setup, and towards a much more classic style. Going to have to buy a whole new set of heads, top+bottom, anyhow, so now is the time to do it. I have been thinking about it for a while.

Now, to start more actively trolling for more parts in this flavor. Thinner, darker cymbals, thinner heads, no muffling, very open tuning sounds. Basically starting from scratch in a lot of ways.

Trying to get myself back into playing the damn things again on the regulars.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 pm
Pendulous

Post Re: Went to my local Music-Go-Round...
:isay: Very nice...

So what's the total cymbal setup on your kit then?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:31 pm
Winston Wolf

In the end, it will be probably about 2-3, plus hats. Thinking at the moment of a crashy ride, a ridey crash, and a different flavor of hats. Can do a lot with just those three.

Looking for similar things in hats too, thin, dark. Might fuck with some 15" hats if any happen to fall into my clutches. Would also consider 13s just for the quieter angle on them. But darker bigger ones might do the trick, a lower pitch pushing them out of some of my snare crack's EQ range.

Mainly i just want more options around to choose from for doing different types of things. So i would rather have more cymbals around than i actually have on the kit at any given time. These cymbals were only like $100 a piece, with no cracks or anything, so it isn't even like it is that expensive, which has been the longstanding excuse i have been making for myself for not having anything but my Sabians around. Each one of my Sabians alone, cost more than the two of these combined did. :red:

I would like a large thin ride like 22" or so. And maybe a thin 18" crash. Depending on what i come across.

Though shit, they might all wind up being 20s. These two are the same size but fairly different thicknesses, pitches and sounds.

I have just been using the AAX Metal Sabians, for everything, for so long, i kind of forgot how much about the way cymbals sounding a different way can kind of make you play a different way. It is a cool brain trick.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:54 pm
Pendulous

Yeah that is a certain type of cymbal setup that I can respect but cannot get down with. :lol:

My rides must be ridey and my crashes must be crashy and multiple. I'm just a metal guy...

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:58 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
You need some Zildjian K hats. :tu:

On the subject of crashy rides: on one hand, I love 'em, the crashing-on-the-ride sound. But, on the other: they can be difficult to record if you want definition on the ride. I suck at drums and have thought of keeping one of each around for just such an occasion, along with a good set of recording hats (something not too loud or bright) and a quality snare. It comes up sometimes, and shit gets swapped out with whatever we can scavenge up. So, concurred on keeping things around for different sounds when you need/want 'em.

Re: hats and snare EQ, that's why I tend to stick a mic on the hats when I have the option. Not to make the hats louder, but to get the mid chunk of the hats in the room. Overheads are generally in the wrong place to do this effectively, and you only get the top end wash. Doesn't sound like... Well, most sets of hats I'm used to. (Some really are overly bright, thin, and loud.) A plain old 57 is actually excellent for this.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 am
Winston Wolf

Yarr, i was thinking the K 13" would be ideal, but my current plan is simply to keep checking for whatever shows up used in the local stores and just buy whatever i like and can afford, even if it means multiples of things. Old Zildjians are surprisingly not that expensive if you are patient and get a little lucky.

Hi hats are trickier though, they seem to run a bit more expensive even used. Still some interesting shit out there though.

RE: Ridey crashy ride crashes, it is one of those things like buying a good SG, where you just have to try them all in person whenever you can, and never play one cymbal of a series and decide that that series isn't what you want. Cymbals are still pretty variable. The hammering and lathing is not a 100% perfect process. Two supposedly exactly identical cymbals in size and series and model, can sound very very different.

That is where the trick is for finding the perfect dual duty cymbals. Just playing as many of them as possible until you find one that does the thing. One of these crash rides, weirdly, the thinner (UFIP) one is actually both a nice crash and a usable ride.

Actually, my 18" Sabian AAX Metal crash, makes a surprisingly serviceable light ride, with an actually decent bell sound even.

You just never know quite what a specific cymbal will do until you actually get it in front of you and hit it a bit. :idk:

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:32 pm
Walrus meat

Hell damn yeah. Cymbals are fun. I've still managed to not break any of the Sabian's I've had since the beginning but have thought about getting some others.. We've inherited a bunch of rando stuff, and I've got a 70's Zil that is very silly in it's darkness and GONG-iness. I am into tha Sabian's but they are really quite bright besides my hi-hats.. Would really like a proper ping-y ridey ride. My 20" AAX Stage Ride is a good crashy ride but it does not have the obnoxious belltones I would like to have around.

Will be curious to hear what you've snagged for hats.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]