View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
New heads are the best thing that ever was. 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post New heads are the best thing that ever was.
Basically that is all.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:28 pm
Pendulous

Post Re: New heads are the best thing that ever was.
Da best. Such a shame when they get beat in...

I'm guessing... coated Ambassadors or G1s? :nods:

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:04 pm
Winston Wolf

I redid all of them. Did the resonant sides with Ambassadors, because what i had on there before was a mix of garbage and wrongnesses. Coated Evans G2s on the top for that Emperor vibe(they are cheaper though for some reason).

Snare bottom is a hazy ambassador now(was using a hazy Emperor before) with a coated Emperor on top. Also picked up an Evans coated G2 snare to compare the two at some point.

Also decided to update the snare wires. For a change of flavor went with the puresound 30-strand big mofo, even though i kind of have trouble with the fact that they wanted like 22 bucks for it. Honestly though, price aside, between this and the thinner bottom head on the snare, this was definitely the best part of the change. The snare is fucking great to play now. Need to come up with some sort of excuse to record it to see if it translates well, but it is definitely really excellent to play anyhow. So much so that i might stop looking for new snares now. Recording it will probably be the proper test.

I also popped a bunch of nylon washers on all of the lugs to replace the rusty old metal ones i had on before. Got them for free from work as a garbage/salvage waste product of some packaging materials for some magnets. They seem to make tightening the lugs turn smoother. Time will tell if they actually make them too smooth and allow them to loosen, but i don't think that they should. I don't crank things like i used to anyhow. :idk:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:20 pm
Walrus meat

What kinda snare do you have running around, anyhow? I'm sure you've said at some point, and expressed a dislike for it. New heads really make the biggest damn difference, though. The tonsofsnarewires deals seem like a desirable trait to me, whatever's gonna help you cut through the cymbal wash.

On a relatedish note: tuning drums is a skill I am really trying to hone in on. Got a couple things to record here soon with my own personal interest invested, so it will be new head time...

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 am
Winston Wolf

Snare is the Ludwig Accent(older Accent, nicer than the newer ones) 14x6.5" steel jobber. Put a cast hoop on top years ago to replace the one that exploded on too many rimshots with drum corps sticks. :red:

It is a solid cheapo snare. I just have not had the results i want so far in recording it. Some of it is cymbals/hi-hats/frequency incompatibilities, some of it is i am now thinking related to just running the wrong shit on the bottom side.

Thinner bottom head with more snare wires seems like the right angle at the moment though.

At its crux, i am leaning these days towards more of a John Bonham sort of concept WRT head arrangements and tunings. Not neccesarily going for a straight up bonham sound(neither a huge kick nor a massive floortom is in the plans right now) but just that sort of idea about how a snare or tom should sound. Pretty open but with a certain retained heaviness to it.

Cheatsheet on that for me has been reso heads tuned slightly higher than batters, across the board. Sealed heads on the kick, with felt strips, but nothing else to dampen. :idk:

Recording will be the proper test.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
What kind of heads on the kick? Same Remo/Evans deal? (I've always liked the Evans snare heads, for whatever that's worth.)

Re: cheaper Ludwig snares, my drummer-of-choice these days has an Acrolite he picked up for cheap on Ebay and restored, as he is a handy individual like yourself. It's quite nice. We've used a shallower wood Spaun on occasion simply because it was available and a different tone, but the Ludwig with fresh heads is no slouch. Proper Ludwig snaresound.

Interesting on the resonant heads being tuned higher than the batters. From what I can tell, the usual advice seems to be the opposite. (I've found I prefer a tighter batter on the snare, because I am a shitdrummer who Plays Jazz Badly, usually with traditional grip. :lol: )

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:11 am
Winston Wolf

Still waiting on the new kicks, but they will be same-ish, Emperor batter with Ambassador resonant. At the moment it is just a remo Powerstroke 3 with half of pinstripe(meaning that i actually took a razorblade and cut it, leaving only one thin single ply, similar deal to using a real single ply head like an ambassador or diplomat) for a reso. Some time after i get paid i will get the proper heads on there; the heads on there right now are not awful enough to have to prioritize above other things just yet.

Still basically on the lookout for an acrolite at the right price. Those snares are wayyyyy fucking better than the prices they go for used.

If i were to accidentally luck into a cheap low price for a supraphonic or something i wouldn't say no, but barring that unlikely circumstance, a pair of acrolites is my end goal aim. Would really like a 14x5" AND a 14x6.5" ideally. Great snares. Super wide tuning range at both depths too. Perfect flexible recording snares.

Especially with the snare, tuning the resonant higher makes the snare a bit more responsive and dynamic to my feel/perception. It has more range between hard and light hits. It is just more fun to play really, more open and interesting.

The toms give a similar vibe, but not a pronounced as it is with the snare.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]