View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Something strange happened today 
Michael Anthony Fanclub President

Post Something strange happened today
So a while ago I sent an email to a local recording studio asking if they had any entry-level jobs etc. I got a reply saying they have no entry-level jobs but to come in for a chat anyway as they're "interested in my skills". Me thinking they might just want a new website (as theirs is awful), I had all my sales pitch ready :red: Turns out the owners want to focus on their band and touring, and are looking for someone "bright and young" to basically run/improve the studio and for some reason think I would be ideal :shock:

The skeptic in me says "why the fuck would they want a 21 year old with NO business knowledge or interest to run theirs?", the optimist is saying give it a go.. but I sort of have other commitments with my current "employment" and if I left this I would massively be letting a friend down. Anywho I'm going along again on Tuesday to show them I know how to use pro tools properly, I cannot decide if taking this would be a good idea or not :facepalm:

Not my usual day :red:

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

Post Re: Something strange happened today
How established is their company? Obviously not too established because they have a shitty site??? Possibly? You seem like smart kid, idk why some small recording company wouldnt want you to run the shit.

Indeed

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 pm

I think they've got a good local reputation, haven't done many big artists afaik :idk:

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:14 pm
Rocco Siffredi

Yes/No: Yes
Go for it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:13 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Bass_Destroyer wrote:
Go for it. Sounds like it could be fun.

I am kind of thinking this, depending of course on all of the details. I.e. what will be expected of you, and what you will get from the deal.

Admittedly, a few aspects of the deal sound potentially sketchy.

BUT. It could also be an interestingly awesome opportunity. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Yeah I need to find out if there's actually any opportunity for money to be made, and fun to be had. I don't wanna be putting loads of effort in (it'll need it) for no return as ideally I need to be able to afford to move out from my parents house within the next year.

There's another part of the dealio that I don't get. The studio is pretty big and has accommodation - seems like they have a few people living there but I dunno if they work there or what. Strange setup :red: Also they said something about doing exploiting legal financial loopholes which immediately rings alarm bells :red:

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
El-Todgo wrote:
There's another part of the dealio that I don't get. The studio is pretty big and has accommodation - seems like they have a few people living there but I dunno if they work there or what. Strange setup :red: Also they said something about doing exploiting legal financial loopholes which immediately rings alarm bells :red:

Ah. Yes, that sounds like two different red flag sorts of informations. You do not want to put yourself in a situation where you are being taken advantage of, or left with much greater responsibility than you are being recompensed for. You need a lot of details.

Financial loophole statement sounds extra sketch. Also, taking on responsibility for a place that has tenants of some sort could wind up getting you hosed proper. Especially if the owner/operators are going to be fucking off on tour or whatever and out of touch with the daily operations.

Also also, like you said, it is slightly odd that they seem convinced that you are the man for the job, even just considering solely your age and experience... Like. Are they looking for a noob? Are they looking for some young easily led type who will be so happy/starstruck to be in a "real studio" situation that they will be able to screw you around? IMO, a real potential issue for concern.

If it is run as ghetto as it sounds like it might be, you might want to steer clear of it. Taking responsibility of a fucked up operation with owners who are not involved enough, or who don't care enough, or who are generally sketchy, is rarely something that results in a good time. I have done that on a couple of occasions, never with good results.

Something strange indeed. You should look into it a bit, and get as much information as possible. The more you know, you may find, that it simply becomes less and less appealing. Or, maybe it will be a good opportunity. You just need to know more about what they are looking for, and about what the arrangements would really be. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Yup. My dad's a legal-type and thinks I should probably steer well clear so I think I'll take that advice :lol:

As you said I'm worried that they're looking for someone young and easily led who they can just fuck around with.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]