View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
I need a custom pickguard ... 
Best Supporting Actress

Post I need a custom pickguard ...
For an SX strat body, just a bucker in the bridge, with a TOM-style bridge/tailpiece (so two small grooves for the bridge posts), just two knobs (the two furthest from the neck on a regular strat).

I don't have the tools or patience to cut one out by hand.

Anyone know a good place to order one from, that will not be silly-priced?

Edit: I already have one cut or SSS pickups that can be used as a template.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Best Supporting Actress

Post Re: I need a custom pickguard ...
Also, it can be cheap material as I am spray painting it to match the body.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

hmmm I'm betting the master tinkerer can come up with something here.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:59 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
It is difflicutt to make a pickguard match up right. It is aslo difflicutt to paint a pickguard in such a way that it will not all scratch off supaquick.

One thing to try might be to make the thing out of clear plexiglass, and then paint the back of it, so it matched the body and also blocked the unused pickup holes, and wouldn't scratch off.

I could conceivably do such a thing, but would require your SSS pickguard to template from forrit. Even wif such templating, there is a good chance that you might need to toothpick/redrill a mounting hole or two to get it to match up right on the actual geetar.

There is aslo a chance that where i put a humbucker hole might not match up with the humbucker sized hole in the body exactly. In my experience, custom pickguards can be a huge pain in the dickballs.

Prolly, it would be halpfull if you were to tape a large piece of paper over the body and use the old unwrapped-crayon-on-its-side technique to create a rubbing that showed the pickup holes and mounting screw points as accurately as plossible, and mail that wif the templater pickguard.

In the spirit of full disclosure, even wif all of that, there would still be a chance that shit wouldn't match 100% first time 'round. Usually a pickguard made from the scratch with need some adjusty jiggering.

What is would cost you would be shipping, and then dependent on how much the plexi costs, and how much guff it gives me when i try to run a router through it. Once it is finished, plexi is nice and strong and scratch resistant, but the process of working the stuff can suck, as it rather likes to shatter when introduced to power tools. Sometimes i have been able to work it easily first go with no issues, other times, i have run into Great Big Whore Problems with the stuff splitting and shooting shards of sharp plastic all about the room.

Other than that, there is a pickguard dood somewhere out there in internetland, but i don't remember anything about where or how much. I vaguely recall it being called something stupidly simple like "The Pickguard Guy" or something though. :red: :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:19 pm
Best Supporting Actress

The body already has two sets of mounting holes from using different pickguards :red:

I am used to having to kijigger with the things, this is an old project guitar that fell back into my possession.

There are sites like Pickguardian and Terrapin Guitars that do custom jobs, but I feel that may be silly expensive. I HAVE already fitted a pickguard from GFS on this body before (thus the new set of holes) which worked well enough, but I had to sand in a couple of grooves for the TOM bridge posts. I am thinking of doing that again, but now you haz me worried about spray painting it (which now you mention it would scratch off easily).

Though, I have heard of people spraypainting and clearcoating the guard with decent results. I wonder if a couple clear coats is enough to protect it? I mean, it works one bodies that don't have a guard (granted they are wood) ...

Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Best Supporting Actress

Damnit looking around on the webs has me thinking of putting a mirror guard on there too.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
I spraypainted + clearcoated the pickguard on my black Strat about ten years ago and it's held up fine. Matte black undercoat, a layer of that stone texture stuff, and clearcoat. I masked off the edges to keep the W/B/W binding on the guard visible. It's held up and drawn lots of "how much did you pay for that" comments. About seven bucks. :lol:

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:19 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Alright so I am going to paint + clearcoat a cheap guard from GFS, and hope for the best. If it does not hold up over time, I should have the scratch together by then to commission a custom job.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]