View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
I think this band is fairly well liked around these parts 
Pendulous

Post I think this band is fairly well liked around these parts

Too stupid today to embed it, sorry.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:48 pm
Pendulous

Post Re: I think this band is fairly well liked around these part
Those lyric videos never fail to make me take the music less seriously though.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:54 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Love this band.

I refuse to watch the video though, opting instead to listen with it minimized in another window. I know for a fact, that i am not going to want to know what the words are. Honestly, that is just sort of a given for like 99% of metal. And well, like 98% of everything else. :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I'm just listening as well. Lyric videos only work if they're silly and not the actual lyrics.

However, I like everything about this.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:05 pm
Walrus meat

When I saw this earlier on my phone I couldn't see what it was, but I knew it was Gorguts for some reason. Tune is nice, production is good and pretty Gorguts-y. Though, I wish it would sound exactly like Obscura, as that is one of my favorite metal productions of all time.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
I hear that. Obscura had a bit of that "i don't know how anyone pulled this off, but i do know that no one will ever pull it off again" sort of vibe to it for me. I would be more surprised if they or anyone else could get anywhere near that again. Which is why i found Ulcerate's last couple records to be so interesting, i guess, because they are doing something similar and i come away with a somewhat similar feeling from the listening, even though, the production and songs aren't really the same at all. Just something hard-to-place, about the songs, the sounds, the way they combine.

It was much more than a technical ability thing. There was just something amazing and different about how Obscura fit together and worked. Like the sounds were not a direct result of what anybody was playing or singing, just a related side effect or altered echo. That is absolutely a record that i never want to learn how to play any of. It sits in a magical space in my brain, where the sounds just are. I know how enough cool sounding things work, i like Obscura to largely remain an unknown, as if it was made by supernatural means or something.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 am
Simethicone

Obscura is amazing. It's just one of those records where the vibe of the whole thing is greater than any of the individual elements.

Some things are just an inimitable thing. And in that genre, that's one of them. There's a pretty long list of things you couldn't do again.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:31 am
Simethicone

I could easily digress about this one. One of the things I like about Obscura is that it's a piece, something you listen to the whole way through (if you have any sense). That's what a record should be, in the long form.

I had a discussion about this with me family on Father's Day. They get it. I pointed out too there's a length thing that corresponds between long-form non-operatic classical pieces and a good rock record. I don't think any of them save for my nieces and myself play anymore, but they got the idea.

I've always been an album listener; it's the format I prefer, and it works, as an extended thing over X amount of time.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am
Walrus meat

chris_d wrote:
I hear that. Obscura had a bit of that "i don't know how anyone pulled this off, but i do know that no one will ever pull it off again" sort of vibe to it for me. I would be more surprised if they or anyone else could get anywhere near that again. Which is why i found Ulcerate's last couple records to be so interesting, i guess, because they are doing something similar and i come away with a somewhat similar feeling from the listening, even though, the production and songs aren't really the same at all. Just something hard-to-place, about the songs, the sounds, the way they combine.

It was much more than a technical ability thing. There was just something amazing and different about how Obscura fit together and worked. Like the sounds were not a direct result of what anybody was playing or singing, just a related side effect or altered echo. That is absolutely a record that i never want to learn how to play any of. It sits in a magical space in my brain, where the sounds just are. I know how enough cool sounding things work, i like Obscura to largely remain an unknown, as if it was made by supernatural means or something.

Hmmm, I am not sure how much I will listen to this new Gorguts record. Listening again I am not sure how into the production I am, but it might be because youtube compression bullshit, but they are not nearly as badass as the drum sounds on Obscura, which is probably my favorite aspect of the record. Though, that also may be because of what the guitar tones are doing to the cymbals. The cymbal clarity on that album is nutsy.

The drummerdude from Ulcerate is probably, IMO, the most bad motherfucker out there right now doing that sort of thing. Shit is so tasteful, yet over the top at the same time somehow. Guy is fucking bonkers.

Also worth mentioning; I miss the other guy who did vocals on and up till Obscura's weirdass distressed shrieking.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:36 pm
Pendulous

Listened to Obscura and From Wisdom to Hate yesterday. The latter is not to be overlooked either. I think the production fattens up a whole bunch halfway through the album though, I found that a bit jarring.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]