View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Hi guis! 
Jeremiah Johnson

Post Hi guis!
Hope everyone is doing well. Glad to see this place is still somewhat active. :rawk:

I've been getting more into the orchestral composition side of things this past year for the business I'm involved in. Here's a track I specifically uploaded for you guys to download. Let me know if this DL link works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tk0afqx0d07a ... h.wav?dl=0

Indeed

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Hi guis!
Hey man!

This is pretty swell. Interestingly, it reminds me of some of your guitar-based stuff in a few ways. Just with the guitars missing. And no double kicks(though i think i hear maybe a timpani doing a bit of that there?).

What are you using these days for putting these things together, software-wise? It sounds proper.

You getting paid for scoring this stuff now? Sounds very sellable for the commercial/film and videogame field.

Pretty cool!

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:35 am
Jeremiah Johnson

chris_d wrote:
Hey man!

This is pretty swell. Interestingly, it reminds me of some of your guitar-based stuff in a few ways. Just with the guitars missing. And no double kicks(though i think i hear maybe a timpani doing a bit of that there?).

What are you using these days for putting these things together, software-wise? It sounds proper.

You getting paid for scoring this stuff now? Sounds very sellable for the commercial/film and videogame field.

Pretty cool!

Hey dood! Thank you. I am incorporating some of the metal stuff I do into this style as well although that stuff isnt ready yet but I will post it here once it is! Some timpani is definitely in this track but I tend to only use it for an accompanying instrument and never as the main focal point for the percussive aspect of my songs.

I am using lots of EastWest , Native Instruments and 8Dio products. The strings, woodwinds and brass come from EastWest CCC2.

I do get paid for this sort of thing now but this track was for my personal composition reel which I'm in the process of building.

Glad to see youre still active here! Ill be around. :hi: :snax:

Indeed

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:43 pm
Pendulous

Oh man, this is so epic. Oh man.

Can I please have this, and use footage of our dog running as the video? Oh geez it'd be sweet.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:25 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I'm liking the dissonant bit at 1:04 and the brass and woodwinds kicking in around 1:26. :nods:

Have you ever tampered with Cinematic Strings?

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:46 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

Unstrung wrote:
Oh man, this is so epic. Oh man.

Can I please have this, and use footage of our dog running as the video? Oh geez it'd be sweet.

You can do whatever you want with it. Just credit me. :huzzah:

Snaxocaster wrote:
I'm liking the dissonant bit at 1:04 and the brass and woodwinds kicking in around 1:26. :nods:

Have you ever tampered with Cinematic Strings?

Excellent, thank you sir.

And no, I have not.

Indeed

Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:44 pm
Simethicone

I think the expressive possibilities of woodwinds and brass are often overlooked by guys coming from a rock background. It's nice to hear them being utilized, woodwinds in general and non-fortissimo brass especially.

Re: Cinematic Strings, it's the most convincing string library I've found so far. There's two caveats, though: 1) you have to treat the thing like you're scoring for a live string section. There's no full section patches, just 1st and 2nd violins, violas, celli and basses. So it's a bit of extra work. 2) It's a RAM hog. Expect over a gig of samples in Kontakt per part. So over 5 gigs for a full section. If you don't have assloads of RAM at your disposal, write the parts with anything else, replace with the appropriate section, and offline bounce pre-mixing. That being said, the sound is worth the trouble. Kinda pricey, but if strings are one of your main things- and for scoring work I'd imagine they would be- it's worth it. Still cheaper than good hardware- guitar, recording or otherwise- of any sort. CS also seems to sit well in a mix; it's not overly dark in an attempt to sound natural or super-bright for fake glossiness. It is a "modern" kinda sound, closer mic'd and full-range a la something you'd hear on Deutsche Grammophon or Telarc re: classical stuff, but for scoring work I'm betting that's what would get used most often.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

Ill look into them due to your ability to sell me with that broad and expansive description.... but I am pretty content with hollywood strings atm. No complaints here.

Do you have any experience with Vienna Ensemble Pro?

Indeed

Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:54 pm
Walrus meat

:hi:

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:00 pm
Jeremiah Johnson

Broseidon wrote:
:hi:

Hi son :huzzah:

Indeed

Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 pm
Simethicone

GnarlySheen wrote:
Ill look into them due to your ability to sell me with that broad and expansive description.... but I am pretty content with hollywood strings atm. No complaints here.

Do you have any experience with Vienna Ensemble Pro?

I get it. Figured I'd mention though as I'm fond of the things.

Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro, not off the top of my head, but I may have demoed a tenor sax at one point? How is it?

Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:52 am
Jeremiah Johnson

Snaxocaster wrote:
I get it. Figured I'd mention though as I'm fond of the things.

Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro, not off the top of my head, but I may have demoed a tenor sax at one point? How is it?

I'll probably end up coming around to it later down the road.

I haven't used vienna ensemble pro yet but everyone swears by it. It basically allows you host all your 3rd party plugins outside of your daw RAM limitations and allows to access all your computers ram in 64 bit mode. I think you can host it on a completely different computer that houses your software ( if you do it like that ) and ethernet connect to your DAW computer.

Indeed

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]