View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Did you guys see the new Star Wars? SHPOILERTH 
Pendulous

Post Did you guys see the new Star Wars? SHPOILERTH
Probably.

Did you dig it as much as I did? Maybe.

Everyone suspects Rey is Luke's daughter, Vader's granddaughter.

It seems the soundtrack might legitimize this prediction even further.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:10 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Did you guys see the new Star Wars? SHPOILERTH
In a break with the fact that i normally don't see movies anywhere near their release date or in theaters, i did see this one last week.

I thought it was definitely interesting. I was a little put off by how much "borrowing" there was from the earliest released movies. I understand that they were going out of their way to "reset" audiences' expectations that this new trilogy is not going to be in the style of the second set of three movies but rather in the style of the original ones, BUT i did feel like they went a bit overboard with it all. In the end, the movie doesn't really say or do anything IMO.

But like i said, they clearly made the choice that it was more important to reset audiences' expectations than to even attempt to tell any real or new story. I feel like they could have done both, so i was a little disappointed, as what they wound up with felt a bit lazy to me. EVEN THOUGH, the thing looked great and i like the characters they brought in.

Additionally, the pacing was kind of goofy straight through though. They did not quite spend enough time IMO setting up Rey's character(i think they were afraid of showing too much, and so instead ended up showing too little), nor did they spend enough time getting to or setting up the crisis at the end(which by the way also felt like easily the most mailed-in part of the entire script, and so much so that it kind of pulled me out of it there, which was kind of dumb, because then it takes away from Han's exit and it also takes away from the end battle with Kylo/Finn/Ren, rather than setting both events up to be better/cooler than they ended up being.

That all said, Rey is fucking adorable. Totally into that as a casting and character choice. Also, i would guess a Luke connection for sure. She is just much more powerful than Kylo right off the bat, even before Kylo gets fucked up by the chewie blast and the unexpected weakening that he feels after finishing the job that he believes he must to fully commit to the dark side. With no experience, being able to pick up what he was trying to do with the mind control thing and then do it right back to him definitely should have scared the shit out of him just as much as it appeared to, because it means that with some guidance she will rapidly be on a whole other level than him.

All in all, i am hopeful that this all combines to make the second and third movie of this group much better. They seem to have set up a lot of real problems for folks so they won't have to rely on any magical new superDUPERdethstar type bullshit. The rebels are properly fucked now. The First Order is way bigger than any of them were even prepared to kind of deal with. The Republic capital and its fleet are completely obliterated. Kylo is about to take the next step. AND, now that it is understood that Rey is some kind of serious motherfucker just waiting to be shown how to use all of what she has, she becomes extremely attractive to Snoke, which is where i think the plot might go to an interesting place next.

Thing is, Rey doesn't really have any force training. EXCEPT, for what she has picked up from watching Kylo. Which kind of makes Kylo her first teacher. She is already as the (assumed) child of Luke, going to be properly sort of force neutral with respect to the pull of the two sides. [I don't think the movies ever showed it well enough, but Luke was actually in a very conflicted state and could quite easily have gone dark instead of Jedi.] Will she spend some time in dark places? Though, to be real, luke was much more of a self-serving/self-absorbed prick when we met him(and even now, with the choice he made to recluse himself instead of attempting to rectify his failures as a teacher and leader), and it would seem to be a bit much of a stretch to see Rey go there.

Still, it does at least set up some interesting angles for the next movies. I hope they actually do something good with them.

I mean, i would also watch and generally enjoy two more movies like this one that don't really go anywhere or do anything, but, IMO, as this movie does to me in the end, i would feel that was a bit of a missed opportunity if they went thattaway. :idk:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:28 am
Winston Wolf

Post Re: Did you guys see the new Star Wars? SHPOILERTH
I saw it last weekend and would like to see it again, also having two kids that need to use that bathroom in the middle... wtf, just pee in the seat you little fucks... I should never have been a dad....

I will be much better to give an opinion after the next viewing.

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]