View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
FOOD recipe thread 
Henry Kissinger

Post Re: FOOD recipe thread
Sweet. We have a hippy vegan place that sells this sort of shit so I'm gonna pop in on my way home tonight.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 am
Michael Anthony Fanclub President

I normally just get the linwoods stuff from holland & barrett, it's a fiver for a 450g bag of milled flaxseed which seems a lot. I have a 30g scoop in my vanilla protein shake for breakfast, it makes it taste surprisingly good and gives me most of my daily fibre so I can poop freely whilst only taking up .5g carbs :isay: lemme know if you find it any cheaper though because keto is seriously damaging my wallet :(

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 pm
Henry Kissinger

Hippy vegan place sells it for £2.50 a kilo unmilled. I have a spice grinder so its not really a problem. Have a look for any whole food places or hippy co-ops near you. They're good for this kind of shit. I declined to mention that I eat about 8 chickens a week and a good chunk of a pig while the guy on the till was making idle chit-chat haha!

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:07 pm
Henry Kissinger

Its grinds to power in about 5 seconds in my coffee/spice grinder! I stuck a scoop of double rich chocolate protein powder in too. Tasty goodness. I also grilled up two slices of bacon to get some fat in.

Like I said earlier, get your stuff from the cheapo super markets like aldi and lidl. They sell tinned fish cheap and thats a good hit of protein and far for 0 carbs. I can put up with some monotony in my diet so long as the results come! What sort of stuff are you eating?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 pm

Cool I'll start going there instead of Asda then. Just need to find somewhere to buy the big bags of unground stuff, we don't really have any vegan hippy type places. At the minute my "main" meals are basically some kind of meat (usually pork loin/gammon/bacon as it's cheap and fatty) with brocolli and spinach. Butter melted on the veg :love: Lunches are normally just a lettuce/cucumber/green pepper salad with my choice of meat or tuna and some cheese grated over the top. And a load of full fat mayo. Breakfast is either protein shake + flax or a total full fat greek yoghurt with flax and walnuts or almonds. Or if I have time then those pancakes with some cream and a bit of peanut buttah.

Just tried almond pancakes and they were good, forgot to add teh cream though :cry: I also made some almond bread the other day that was pretty nice but it's a bit too cakey unless you add a load of herbs and you don't get much out of it. It was nice to have something resembling a sandwich for lunch today though rather than my usual salad. Went down a belt loop today so this diet is something I'm perfectly happy with. Plus it's the weekend carb up tomorrow night onwards :love:

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm
Henry Kissinger

Meat is pretty much half the price of what my local morrisons charge! The whole seed stuff is much cheaper and its not even funny how easily it grinds. You could probably even do it in a pestle and mortar without too much effort.

I may well spice up my meals when things start to get old. I used to make a bitching spinach curry so it might be time to bust that motherfucker back out.
I've only just got back on the keto so carb up day isn't until next friday where a lamb shawarma will be had for dinner and then a 3 'n rice for tea. boom.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Rice pudding is my crack on carb ups. So fucking goood :love:

edit - carb tiem, proper cup of tea then all the cereals are belong to my belly :love:

I found that the health shop next to big tesco sells 1kg bags of linseed (brown or golden) for £1.75. Turns out that linseed and flaxseed are the same thing. So now I just need a good grinder and I have a much cheaper source of fibre and goodness.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm
Henry Kissinger

Good find. I grind mine up in a cheapo electric coffee grinder. Its worth owning one for making spice blends anyway. Certainly my most used non-standard kitchen appliance by a long shot! I just ground up a scoop of flax to go in my shake (tescos own brand double rich chocolate, not bad, usually on sale for unsed 20 quid a kilo at my local one) and I added a table spoon of peanut butter and then twated it with my hand blender. Glorious.

Tonight I'm going to make a chicken and spinach puree curry. I'll share the recipe. Spinach puree is awesome. Its like 60p a can and its almost entirely fiber and tasty as fuck.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 pm
Henry Kissinger

Keto friendly spinach curry - success!

For the bulk you will need:
chicken breast(s)
1-2 tins of spinach puree
onion
garlic
ginger

For the spice mix:
black pepper corns
cumin seeds
coriander seeds
3-5 green cardamon pods
salt
dried chilies and chili powder
black mustard seeds (optional, I like them)
Bang all this in s spice mill/coffee grinder and blast it to as fine powder

Methodology:
Dice the onion (I used a small red onion as I'm carb dodging, I'd recommend using a large onion here otherwise) and fry in a little oil until soft.
Add crushed/chopped/whateryoulike garlic and grate in an inch or so of fresh root ginger. This is to taste. Go nuts if you want.
Let that fry for a minute or so.
Add diced chicken and fry until browned.
Add spice mix and toast it for a minute or two. Don't worry if it looks like a shit load of spice. It'll all work out fine in the end.
Add spinach puree. I used two regular sized cans for 1.5 chicken breasts but I could go to pretty much three breasts with that much spinach easy enough.
Give it a good stir and mix about.
Boil up some water in a kettle and add some bit by bit until the mix goes a little gooey. It took about 400ml or so for me.
Cover and give it a quick high heat blast to get some steam going and the spices mixing for a minute or two.
Reduce to low heat and let it simmer for as long as you can stand. 30 mins minimum. Longer is better. You may need to add water occasionally to stop stickage.

Serve with whatever. Rice, naan, khobez, pita. I had it on its own and it was bang tidy.
No pictures as its just a pan of green mush with chicken in.

For non-carb dodgers you can add 2 tomatoes cut into 8ths to add a little sweetness. Mushrooms also work.
For maximum enjoyment the chicken can be swapped for lamb. Chickpeas can also be added if you're so inclined.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm gonna try that some time soon I reckon, haven't had a good curry in ages :isay:

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 pm
Henry Kissinger

I made a bitching keto keema curry last night too. Easy.

Fry up some garlic and ginger to taste. Add a pound or so of lamb mince. Add a spices (black pepper, salt, cumin, coriander seeds, chilli flakes) and some garden peas (50-70g).
Cook until the mince isn't going to kill you.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Thai Red Curry Soss:

1 can coconut milk
1/2 small can Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste (the brand is very important here.)
2-4 tbsp. peanut oil

1. Put oil & paste in wok. Slowly heat while breaking up paste. Do not burn.

2. Slowly fold coconut milk in, about 1/2 cup at a time. Once it is all in, bring to light boil for 5 min. stirring constantly.

1 cup Thai culinary stock

3. Add stock and bring to light simmer

3 tbsp. mirin
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. minced galangal
1 tsp. Bangkok Blend* (optional, from Penzey's Spices)
For the non-veg, 3 tbsp. fish sauce (for saltiness). Sub this out for veg-friendly version. Apparently this is how you do it proper though? Fishes are made of animals, so I do not eat of them.

4. Add above ingredients
5. Simmer diced veggies in it for 20-30 min. Stir every 3-5 min. so it does not scorch.
6. Add Korean hot pepper flakes to taste.
7. Consume.

*- Said blend contains ancho chili, garlic, ginger, Tellicherry black pepper, galangal, crushed red pepper, lemongrass, cayenne, paprika, basil and cilantro. Penzey's, by the by, is fucking awesome. I do believe you can order online. There is one in Buffalo, and we have a cabinet full of their stuff. So, so good.

My roommate's friend just made this; we had this with fried tofu, broccoli, rice and snow peas. And I think something else but I'm not sure. So very delicious, and I was not familiar with the Korean hot pepper flakes, but I love them on first taste.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 pm

My lunch today was bacon, eggs and grilled mushrooms stuffed with cheese, garlic and mayo :love: :love:

edit - ok those grilled garlic/cheese/mayo stuffed mushrooms are my new favourite thing. Just devoured a plate of them for dinner :love:

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 am
Pendulous

I love thai curry. Particularly the green one.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 pm

zoozozobrah, if you're still on keto, I just made pizza with almond bread "dough" and it was awesome. Follow this and add some salt/pepper and oregano. It's pretty fucking good.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 pm
Henry Kissinger

Awesome dude. I'll have a look. I'm currently more paleo than keto but I'd still have time for something like that!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 am

How are you finding it? I'd considered paleo but the lack of dairy displeases me greatly.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:15 am
Henry Kissinger

I'm not being super strict with it. I still drink a pint of milk a day and dabble in the odd bit of cheese here and there. I don't know if I'll stick with it as it might be difficult to hit my macros. I guess I'll see soon enough. I may well have the odd bit of rice here and there too but pasta and bread are out for now. I signed up with myfitnesspal and got the phone app. Well worth a look for tracking this kinda stuff. It's much better now than last time I looked as folk have submitted lots of stuff you'd find in UK supermarkets and the meal macro calculator is fucking awesome! It also links to endomondo (and other workout trackers) to automatically populate your calorie deficit.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Yeah I use myfitnesspal, pretty useful. Although on carb up days it always makes me feel bad due to the high number of calories you need to fill the carbs required, so I don't tend to use it on those days :lol:

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
My second new toy has arrived.

I am excite.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next