View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
What i have been doing today... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: What i have been doing today...
Probably should have done two rounds of pore-filling:

It sprayed level and flat, just with lots of pores still evident once the lacquer cured up. Hopefully the glitter/metallic will do some more filling for me. It should.

The guitar won't be black, just that usually black is a good base for metallics.

Ran some quicky tests with some glitter/pearl on some black painted scrap shit though, and now i am thinking i might want to base it over white instead so it won't look too much like the forest green of the Lowestang.

Currently amassing parts so i can stop using Preval spraycans to do this and start using a smaller style detail-style HVLP spray gun through my air compressor.

Wish i could run a real fullsize HVLP gun, so i could start using/learning one for the future paint war with my car, but i don't have anywhere near enough air compressor for it. :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:57 am
Winston Wolf

Started with the greens...

I should have left it there and started clearcoatings.

But i didn't. :red:

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:36 pm
Winston Wolf

For some reason, i didn't realize how close that color was to what i was looking for until too late. It is obvious now looking at the pictures of it in that state, but for whatever reason it didn't look right to me in the moment. :red:

So i ended up mixing some ambery tinted clear shit together and did this to it:

Which is difficult to see in the basement lighting, but is pretty yello.

Going to give it some time to dry properly and see where i really am when i can get it into some sunlight.

Wasn't really aiming for lazerlizard gold. It might grow on me though. I will give it some time for a change this time and see how i feel about it later.

Wouldn't be too hard to get it back to the previous color, just kind of a big waste of kind of expensive nitro lacquer. :red:

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:45 pm
Pendulous

:huzzah:

It looks good. I like the lazerlizard, but yeah the earlier pics look a lot like what you said you wanted initially. :eekass:

Are you going to use 100% the parts of the kit or do you have any little bitty things around that you wanted to use instead?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:13 am
Winston Wolf

Hardly using any of the kit smallbits. The kit was $150, which is actually a crazy good price for a mahogany neck and body that fit together properly. All the odds and ends are real junky cheapo shit. Going with different pickups, different tuners, probably cut a new nut, different pots(the ones in the kit aren't even Alphas). Won't even use the pickguard, as it is the wrong shape, and i will have to make one from scratch to fit what is here.

Out of everything, i will use the rear cover, and maybe some part of the bridge/tailpiece arrangement, though i even have better stuff for that around here left over from other projects and things. :idk:

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:50 am
Winston Wolf

Here it is in its current state, in better light:

Just mocked up with the parts so i can get a better idea of whether or not i want to leave it this way(you can also see how bad the pickguard shape is).

Either way, the decision will have to wait a couple weeks until my spraygun/airline parts arrive, i get paid, and can pick up some more lacquer for the clearcoats(or the repaint). :red:

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:24 am
Winston Wolf

I like that colour. I am partial to green though. I no longer had any green guitars though. That is a pretty stupid dope price on that though.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I approve of the green as well. It's a fine green, as far as greens go. :isay:

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:55 am
Winston Wolf

Smoothing it out to prep for clear coats produced some uneven coloring as the yellowed clearish layer became thinner in parts, so it will get a whole other basecoating anyhow.

Problem is that the Preval cans i am using are pretty finnicky and after a minute or so of use; they get real cold and start spraying lumpy globs of paint/clear. That shit is drying to a pretty gnarly sort of orange peel, and leveling that back out needs to be kind of aggressive. A lot of unnecessary waste of finish in the sanding off bit.

Guitar is a pretty ugly mix of blueish and yellowish splotches with some spots real close to the black undercoat at the moment. It is pretty flat now though. Probably mostly a lesson here about going to finish coats before you are really done prepping the base and making sure that it is built up enough to fill the woodgrain correctly for a flat/smooth enough finish on top. :red:

Anyhow, definitely won't do any more topcoating until i get a more consistent spray gun setup running. The Prevals are a pain in the dick.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 pm
Winston Wolf

I was lucky having worked autobody for years, when I need to refinish something I hop on down to my dad's shop and spray it up proper-like.

I am surprised with your destructive bits you have not acquired a spray gun Sir.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:27 pm
Winston Wolf

Almost all my moto-weaponry is 'lectrical. Haven't really felt a need for an air compressor until fairly recently.

Spray guns are tricky too, because i would need so much air compressor to run a proper automotive style HVLP one. I definitely don't have a thousand bucks to put into a big one.

Current plan is to get as much as i can out of the 26gal compressor i could afford. I am thinking at the moment that even a small detail gun through that will be preferable to these Prevals.

Sometime next week a small pile of air line, filtration, and dessicant, bits should arrive so i can get a little gun hooked up.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm
Winston Wolf

Sounds like you have a plan in place. I like the HVLP guns but something to be said for the old fashioned guns. I did about 90% of the guitar refinishing before HVLP. and I did give swirl a try once. The headstock came out great the body looked terrible so ended up doing a purple green burst on the body. I have a pic somewhere I wish I didn't sell that one now...

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 am
Winston Wolf

Got my air filter bits in, now just have to wait to get paid so that i can blow some more money on nitro lacquer :red: and a couple more fittings to get it all bolted up.

For the time being though, i decided to mess with the olde Pinecaster II:

It used to be kind of a sketchy esquire. It only ever sounded kind of okay, had a kind of wonky setup, and its tuners slipped out of tune a lot. Kind of just decided it was what it was for a while, until the desire for a nice vintagey style tele hit me and as i looked through my options, kind of realized that though this guitar only sounded okay plugged in, it kind of sounded amazing acoustically. Like, it suddenly became extremely obvious that i had a lousy pickup in it, a fact that i am not sure how i missed when i built it. I think i might have been too broke back then to do anything about it anyhow, so maybe i wasn't looking too hard for its flaws.

So i went back in, got a pair of lowish output(bridge@7k, neck@6.6k) GFS alnicos, routed the body for a neck pickup, replaced the slippy tuners with a set of Klusons and some 10mm-to-vintage conversion bushings, drilled a hole in the side for an electrosocket jack(in esquire form i had the jack located on top in the control plate), and wired it all up with a 4-way switch(bridge-standardtelemiddle-neck-middleinseries), spent some time rejobbing the neck a bunch and setting it all up better, and called it a day.

Very happy with how it all came out, soundwise; second time in a row, a guitar project has basically done exactly what i hoped it would do for me. I don't know what do think. :lol:

I also hacked up a semi-temporary faceplate for the princeton, got some fendery knobs for it, and put in a purple/violet bezel light, which is not too obvious in the picture, but is nice looking in person. Eventually i intend to go back in and do a nicer faceplate, but i have mostly just been more interested in playing the amp than working on it these days. :idk:

Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:57 pm
Walrus meat

ah hell yeah

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:42 pm
Winston Wolf

damn that looks nice.

Tele - official guitar of teh mapz. I have another in transit, comes in today.

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:34 am
Winston Wolf

Well, being that i wound up sanding a lot of the first paintjob off the SG project, i figured that before i jumped in with the redo, i might as well try out some other flavors of glitter type biz to make sure that i might not want some other color.

Just picked a few that looked interesting on a website, tried them out on some scrap wood i had lying around:

Colors of these finishes are really difficult to get to show right in photos.

In reality the red one is more pink/mauve.

The blue one has more green to it, which is a really cool color, but kind of needs direct sunlight to show it, looking kind of dull black in more shadowed viewing.

That gold one is pretty close to how it looks in real life, though i was expecting that one to be a bit more brown, not so light/goldish(i am not the biggest fan of gold guitars).

The green one is the same that i did the guitar in the first time. It doesn't show very well in that shot, but i think i will probably stick with that one for the guitar. At least out of this batch. It looks the best of the bunch in more lighting situations anyhow. And it is pretty close to what i was looking for in the early stages of thinking about this thing.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm
Winston Wolf

that green does look pretty much like the shizz. I would pick that for myself.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:11 pm
Winston Wolf

This shit is going on, bros.

Once again, i have put myself in a position where i am waiting for Triode Electronics to ship me some transformers, but at least this time, i kind of knew what to expect.

The dude from Allesandro amps must be buying brand new Fenders direct and gutting them for his own amp builds, because he sure seems to have a pile of brand new fender PC boards to sell.

That is the route i went with the Princeton, because that board set was only $55, which is a fair bit less than it would cost to collect the components to do one from scratch. The designs that fender uses for their reissues are really quiet running too, well laid out.

That Princeton worked out so well, that i basically decided to do the same thing with the next build, as the guy also has Tweed Bassman reissue board sets for sale. Going to be a 5F6(tweed bassman) crossed with the nearly identical JTM-45, with a couple switches to go between the very few differences bewteen the two circuits, and maybe some other mods to make it capable of doing some other things(like a normal super lead "lead" channel instead of the bassman/JTM's "bright" channel, which is actually just identical to the "normal" channel, but with a single bright cap on the volume).

Going to build it with a 5F6-ish PT (but an upgrade version that has two B+ options, high and low for covering both circuit flavors) so it will match the holes on the chassis(which i bought real cheap ($10) years ago and have just been neglecting since) but with a Marshall specc'ed choke and output transformer.

Basically it will look like a Fender because of the chassis, but my aim is the sound of the Marshall variant. Obviously using some classic looking KT66 tubage innit. Love the big bottle tubes.

Don't know yet if i will go head or combo with it though. Leaning head at the moment.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:10 pm
Winston Wolf

They're heeeeeere.

Using the JTM-spec output tranny kind of maybe leans me away from a combo arrangement as it sticks out a fair bit further than the bassman one and because it will be mid-chassis, might find itself in too close proximity to speaker magnet(s) to fit cleanly.

On the other hand, i started to measure out what it would take to house the chassis with a pair of KT66s sticking out of it, and fuck bros, it would have to be a pretty stupidly large head box. Real wonky-looking. Kind of like a twin reverb head if you've ever seen one, except, fucking bigger, because of the dumb way that tweed chassis have to mount trannies and tubes. :red:

I will build a head box sort of thing just to make it easier to build and work on in the future(again, because of the stupid way that tweed chassis lay things out; marshall or blackface style chassis are wayyyyy easier to work on) but i think the answer down the line might wind up being some sort of oversize 1x12 combo arrangement. I will have to peruse my chart later to see what looks like a good candidate.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:32 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
I'm familiar with the Twin Reverb heads. They are indeed pretty wonky looking. Without knowing what it was, I would assume just from the size it was some odball old tube bass or PA head.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next