View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
What i have been doing today... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: What i have been doing today...
Snaxocaster wrote:
I'm familiar with the Twin Reverb heads. They are indeed pretty wonky looking. Without knowing what it was, I would assume just from the size it was some odball old tube bass or PA head.

It is funny too, because those fricken things don't even actually weigh much less than the combo twin reverbs anyhow. :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm
Best Supporting Actress

My Silverbass bassman was a decent sized box but fuck that old iron they used in them shits cause that fucker was insanely heavy.

Aren't the big bottle marshall heads basically all height and width but no depth? Trying to remember the vintage ones we had come through the shop. IIRC their new boutique Astoria line is KT66 and they are decent sized boxes.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

They are definitely tallish and super wide, but kind of deep too. They are more cleanly proportioned though, so they don't look as huge as they are. The dimensions make sense together i think.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 pm
Pendulous

With sizes like that I'd probably make it into a big combo and have the trannies hang within the speaker area vicinity

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:42 pm
Winston Wolf

One of the best things is when you decide to take a picture of the guts of an amp you have been fucking with so that you can remember what it looked like inside the last time you were in it without opening the shell up again, and then you realize that you didn't really finish connecting all of the solder joints in it. :red:

Big blue cap in the middle, doesn't looks like i am quite done with the phase inverter soldering. Must be tacked in just enough though, as i have been playing the amp like this for the last week or so. :red:

I should probably look a bit more carefully at the rest of it now i guess. :lol:

This is the old AC20, now kind of aggressively reworked because i wanted to work on something and i hadn't gotten the transformers for the next build in yet. I really need to stop messing with it for sure, because it has been so many different things at this point that pretty much every part of it is basically completely beat to shit.

Shouldn't really call it AC20 anymore i guess. The Vox stack is now gone. Preamp is basically a marshall superlead style but with a couple adds. The slope resistor is a pot so that it can act voxier or marshally on the fly. I removed the vox/matchless master volume to experiment with the "Trainwreck Type-2"/Lar-Mar style one. This one is Trainwreck values though.

I had some odball switching on the old tonestack, but it never really did 100% of what i wanted it to, so it is gone now too.

The last thing i added yesterday is the crazy 8-position rotary switch mounted to the back(no room anywhere especially not on the front, in this tiny chassis). Kind of like the "brilliance" cap switch that the EF86 channel of a AC15 or Matchless DC30, or indeed basically the same thing as an FAC control on an Orange. It is crazy useful, and i will be basically intending to chuck one like it in just about everything i build from now on. At the small end it is thin bright voxy, in the middle settings throaty and marshally, at the big end pure fucking shitstorm low end overload. Bright single coils can use the big cap settings to girth up, darker higher output humbuckers can use the smaller caps to tighten up.

Humbuckers with the gain knob up and the biggest cap selected is gross. Not necessarily in the best way either. Gets nicer with a boost in front of it, but that is probably just because it is cutting some of the low end out.

At the very least, even though i kind of need to leave this build alone before it falls apart, i am thinking of fucking with the bias on the power section to get it a bit more able to handle the gross end of things.

Kind of want to build a full on testbed amp chassis though. Fucking with all kinds of circuits in this one is a huge amount of fun. It just isn't really designed for it. Used to be an EL84-based Zenith Hi-Fi amp. I have punched way too many holes in it way too sketchily since then though. :red:

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm
Winston Wolf

Well, i went and re-blacked the SG-kit guitar, then re-sparkled it. I waited my two weeks for the clear to cure, and then i spent too long for too little results, wetsanding+related taskness:

Got the shit bolted together and realized there was just no way that i could get the action low enough with the supplied bridgeamathing. :red:

If i had been a bit more patient earlier i might have mocked things up and discovered it earlier, back when i could have shimmed the neck a bit at the glue up.

Oh well. :lol:

Instead of all that though, i got another chance to fix something with pencil dowels:

They are used here as a spacer so that i can utilize another gibson style bridge that i have around here(maybe from way back from Devin or Tor?)

Anyhow, it all went together, the bridge now sits low enough for a good action, and i got it all intonated and nut-fixed and whatnot:

Still to do: 1. make a trussrod cover because i don't like the shape or material of the one that came with the kit, 2. decide whether or not it needs a pickguard. I think i want one, but i will have to make it from scratch because nothing is proper gibson-shaped here. Gonna hold off on that one for a bit though. Want to get into the 5f6/jtm45 build sooner than later now that i have most of my bits here for it.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:39 pm
Pendulous

Looks so sassy. I like it without the pickguard in this case. If you do do a pickguard, would it be the large one or the one that just hangs off on one side?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:49 pm
Winston Wolf

Would probably be a smaller one. Because the shape of the guitar is a bit non-standard(especially WRT the neck pickup being butted up against the fretboard), i think a big guard would maybe look oddish.

Hell, a little guard might look oddish too. I might mock one up in paper to see what might work.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
What flavor of pickups are those, if I may ask? Something P90-ish?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 pm
Walrus meat

I think them shits is P94s? Alex has got one of thems in the neck of her new (old) Squier Supersonic, no silver covers tho.

That guit is hot as hell, Chris.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 pm
Winston Wolf

Pickups are hum-sized GFS Mean 90s. Wanted to mess with some P90 biz for a build, and they seemed interesting, and weren't expensive.

I like the bridge pickup as is, nasty and a nice balance of brightness and darkness. Might want to adjust the neck a bit, heightwise, and maybe screw with the tone cap. It is pretty normal .022 right now, but i have been running some non-standard tone caps in my other recent builds and i kind of like them. Much smaller values, for more interesting mid-based cut-off when rolled back.

Anyhow, actually getting to play the guitar a bunch yesterday highlighted the fact that i still need to do some fretwork/leveling up high. Probably exacerbated by the neck angle not being ideal, but i think it is workable. I don't play up above the 13th-14th fret much anyhow, so it won't be something i need to do today, but i will get into it soon, fo sho.

I also think i want to modify the bridge further and see if i can't get the unwounds a bit lower too. Probably easiest to just file the slots down a bit. It is totally playable, just a tiny tiny bit higher action that i am looking for.

Mon May 01, 2017 6:38 am
Winston Wolf

Well, most of what i have been doing lately is having a long stream of family visits intercut with on/off work and playing videogames. :red:

But i have been picking away at this too.

Though once again, the first pictures i took are several days into the project :red: :

This is going to be mostly a JTM/5F6 amp, maybe a little hotter. Into the concept at the moment of mid powered combos, so i am doing it as a 1x12, marshall style. KT66 powered.

The chassis is fender style just because i have one lying around. I am going to base the build off a set of fender tweed bassman PCBs (that i am going to do some surgery on), mainly because they were cheap and they will fit nicely in this (IMO stupid) fender tweed format chassis.

Output transformer is JTM spec, and all of the places where the similar topologies(bassman vs JTM45) diverge, i am going in the marshall directions.

You may note that i painted the inside of the box black.

That is because this will be my first attempt at making a proper "amp looking" amp. Tolex, piping, all that stupid shit:

I definitely do not love building with tolex, etc. But i figured that i should have at least done one this way once. :idk:

I hope it doesn't wind up looking too fucked up. So far as far as the baffle/grille has gone, well it is about 80% not-quite-shit. There is a solid 20% that is kind-of-a-little-shit though, for sure. :red:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 am
Walrus meat

Very, very dope.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:26 am
Winston Wolf

Chris, looking great.

BTW I was explaining to one of my bands your crazy painter's tape boxing of the T&A TorFuzz.... hard to describe I may have to find the thread to explain...

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:37 am
Winston Wolf

BLUE TAPE 4 EVA.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 pm
Winston Wolf

As much as i love blue tape in fact, this exactly is how much i fucking hate tolex glue. :mad:

What a fucking pain in the dick to work with.

Anyhow, i did this much with it:

The baffle is just resting in place there, not screwed in proper because i need to do some shit with its mounting screw arrangements.

Handle is just placeholder too, looked weird without a handle and i haven't gotten the one i am going to use yet.

Tolex hides a fucking ton. There is a lot of shit wrong with this so far.

I will basically aim to leave it more or less like this for now, but i wouldn't be surprised if the tolex "glue" i used lets go eventually and i have to redo the thing. (OR FUCKING JUST STAIN AND CLEARCOAT IT LIKE ALL MY OTHER AMPS.)

Which wouldn't be the worst thing(just unnecessarily expensive and annoying, to trash what is on the thing right now) because of how sketchily a lot of it is on there now.

It is probably a good thing to have experience doing i guess, but i really do not very much enjoy this sort of upholstery/finishing type of thing. Just kind of feels pointlessly nonfunctional and appearance-first in the doing. Unlike the other sort of stuff i do where a fast-and-loose build method lends character and reminds me of myself and the way i like to do things, irregularities built into this sort of stuff, just look shitty and ghetto/hack. And will probably result in the covering on the thing falling apart later. :red:

I don't know. I will look at it again tomorrow when i am less pissed off and maybe i won't think it is so bad. But right now, i would just like to make sure that everyone around here knows that tolex glue can, as a science fact, go fuck itself with a moldy brick.

That is all.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:36 pm
Winston Wolf

Actually looks very good from here. That is a fine specimen you have going there sir.

I'm not sitting with so many amps I can't even think...

in the past 3 months I have acquired a Jet City Amelia, JCM 900 SL-X, JCM 800 2205... on top of the Devil Cat, Shiva, Laney, Fender SuperSonic, Bug V22... FML...

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 am
Winston Wolf

Thanks T. Up close it is a bit less than perfect. Prolly look fine on from 20 feet or so once i fix some things up a bit.

After some internal discussion about how much i really wanted to spend on a speaker for it, i ended up just saying fuck it and bought a new creamback for it:

I just think that i am going to wind up being happiest with it for a sonic solution, even though i still balk a bit at $150 for one speaker. :idk:

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Chris bought a new Creamback? :hypno: Mind = blown, and all that. It does seem rather out of character. I've heard nothing but good things about those, though. I do wonder how they compare to old G12-65s, which I've discovered I really like when paired with things that say "Mesa" on them.

Joey- how's the 2205 treating you? It's been a while since I've heard one of those, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts in comparison to single-channel 800s.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:28 pm
Winston Wolf

Well the 2205 is sick.

I actually haven't played a single channel 800 in so long I can't really remember the subtlties, but this 2205 is completely sick. Really will sit well with the Grimm Jack project

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next