View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
What i have been doing today... 
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: What i have been doing today...
Just preliminary tests so far, but the creamback is kind of fascinating. I haven't built the amp yet so i am currently just using the cab as a speaker cab for my normal homebrew map.

What is really interesting to me is how good the speaker sounds quiet. And how easily and well is scales up to loud use. So far it seems weirdly consistent, much more so than i am used to, especially with higher power-handling speakers. It isn't all fucked up and harshy brighty when it isn't being pushed hard. Not finding that i have to crazily adjust tone settings between very low and very high volumes to manage low end and treble issues at the volume range extremes, which is odd.

I don't know how they did it, but it is really interesting. I will continue to use and monitor it as i become more accustomed to it. Totally worth the $150 IMO, at this stage in my experience wif it. Very easy to get a good sound recording too, though i have only futzed with that minimally so far.

Really curious to hear it out of the JTM-ish build that i got it for.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:44 am
Winston Wolf

Most people would probably just be ecstatic to come across a Hot Wheels version of their own not-that-special thirty-year-old car.

Only the supremely dorky ones, would ever feel the need to do this to it, to make it match the real one more correctly:

:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:

Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 am
Winston Wolf

That is perfect Chris.

I believe I have a Creamback style WGS in my 2x12... I seem to get along well with that cabinet. it has the cream back and a v30 clone (also WGS)

starting to ramp up on gigs now. One tonight and 6 more gigs in May and them 6 gigs in June.

I'll get pissed and quit something by july.

I can fuck everything up well.

Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 am
Winston Wolf

So, this tree heard that i was going to have a legit two days in a row off from work. :red:

Friday night around 9:30PM it sounds like something pretty big fell off of something pretty tall upstairs.

Took me a while to figure that it wasn't upstairs, but outside:

So, i wound up not really getting two days off in a row, after all.

My actually "good" saw, a big Husqvarna gas-powered, decided it absolutely did not fucking care to start, which was awesome. :poop:

With rain coming and no maintenance parts around, i didn't have time to fuck with it, so i wound up using this guy:

Which is an electric Craftsman, which has really had a hard life in my hands, but which just keeps fucking going, which is pretty cool.

This tree was way too big for the saw, but it did it anyway(even though it did start to rain a bit in the middle of the job) :

Anyhow, got it out of the neighbor's yard at least. Now have to tune up the Husqvarna so that it will start, so i can clean up the rest, and chop it all into smaller, more easily moveable bits.

But not today, today is an actual day off.

As far as i know.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:00 am
Winston Wolf

I actually have a few weeks off from gigs so I turned to the yard.. I too have a nice little gas powered chain saw which didn't want to start and also have a small electric. It's a struggle but I didn't have to cut anything near as big as what you did.

I am impressed sir. Huzzah!!!! :dildo:

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 am
Winston Wolf

Regarding the Charvette resurrection.

Remember when i decided top buy a $15 chinese floyd rose?

Yeah.

I hadn't played the thing for a while but decided to pull it out a couple days ago and mess around.

The setup had gotten all jacked up in storage though. Intonation all screwy, string action all weirdbeard, messed up.

Thought it might be the neck, was looking all over until i noticed this:

I do not even know how this is possible, but look how fucked and bent the lower plate of that thing became!

It must be made out of lead or something. To bend under what relatively minimal tension the strings make? Crazeballs.

ANYHOO.

So now i have this:

And so my new plan is to totally disassemble the guitar, rout it for a neck humbucker, paint it(something obnoxious probably) and put it all back together as a nice shredder.

:dukes:

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Winston Wolf

what the living fuck?

that's crazy.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:50 am
Winston Wolf

Yeh, it was soooooo fucked up, intonation-wise. Wonderful chinese trash metal.

Currently, i have this guitar stapled together with a quick rattlecan basecoat on it.

Got a d-tuna to try out.

Currently at this very moment, trying to do the delicate floyd balancing act of getting the d-tuna, action, and intonation all to play nicely. :red:

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:02 pm
Winston Wolf

that, sir, is no easy feat. You're not trying to do the d tuna while floating the bridge are yeee?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:01 pm
Winston Wolf

Eventually i reread the d-tuna instructions and realized WHY they were saying to block it for upwards pulls. :red:

So yeah, these days the bridge is blocked and will only go down, no pulling up possible. :red:

It is actually set up pretty okay now too. Might swap around the pickups a bit tho, i definitely currently prefer the bridge sound i get out of the black charvel. Gonna rip that one open and find out what is in there at some point. :cop:

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:11 pm
Winston Wolf

Went on kind of a pedal building binge:

Basically been buying pcbs lately, for ease of build, especially with some of the more complex circuits i have been doing.

I don't have as much spare time as i used to, to do everything prototype-style like i used to.

A PC board build can come together really fast. High instant gratification vibes.

Built all of these over the last week and maybe a half?

Built a proper ODR-1.
Built a proper dual KOT.
Built another Fuzz Factory.
Built a copy of the TC Integrated Pre.
Built a Landgraff Overdrive copy(just a nice tubescreamer, really)
Built a JHS Morning Glory copy(just a single KOT with an output buffer)
Built a Friedman BE-OD copy.
Built a copy of the Ethos TWE-1

The ODR-1 is sweet. I loved the other one i ghetto-built enough to make a new one in a solid box with nice parts. This one has the addition of a bass control knob which is a very solid add, because i did find the original circuit to be a bit heavy on the low end. Nice to be able to pull some of it out if needed.

The KOT is also very cool. Kind of finally does what i have been a long line of low gain dirt pedals to do for me. Bright and crispy, clear, nice flat EQ to it and i like the clipping options.

Fuzz factory always a blast(this one needs some fiddling though, not as good as the first one i built yet)

The LDO is actually a really nice TS. Really boosty, works great for kicking the front end of the 6505 into chugtown.

The Morning Glory is surprisingly different sounding than the KOTs. Definitely has a brighter angle to it, nice on the clean channel of the 6505 to bring a little sparkle OD in. I prefer the KOT on some of my amps, the morning glory on others. Surprised not to find them too redundant, actually.

The BE-OD is a nice little beasty. A bit noisy, but understandable with the fucking massive amounts of hair metal it has jammed in it. Just a really fun pedal top play. This version is actually a circuit mix between the BE-OD and the Dirty Shirley OD. Has the BE's "tight" control, and also the DS's "mids" control.

I just built the TWE-1 clone today. IT FUCKING RULES. Kind of very similar territory to the BE-OD actually, and is capable of getting pretty close to that pedal's sounds(the BE-OD has a more aggressive lower mid thing going on that i like a lot).

But what makes it fucking great, is that it is also super flexible at pretty much any gain range below that. Amazingly, they figured out a way to get really close to the trainwreck amp vibe of being basically balls out high gain, but then rolling off to sparkle clean with the guitar volume knob. You kind of have to play within the context of what the circuit will allow, but i have NEVER played another pedal that did this good of a job of it.

Has some cool tone shaping options in the switches. Will get almost Mesa-ish with things set a certain way, which is a pretty good trick because the rest of it is basically that wonderful hotrod marshall blasting mids thing, and then the wierdly bright sparkle cleans of a smaller fender. I really enjoy this pedal. One of the most fun-to-play builds i have done in a LONG time.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:21 pm
Winston Wolf

wow... that's a shitload of pedals. very cool. I still strap on the T&A when i need the fuzz. Love that thingy.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 am
Winston Wolf

Whole pile more pedals in the works, too. I might have a problem. :red:

Lately though, i have just been playing the hell out of this:

Last week, i popped it open and changed the arrangement a bit.

Pulled out the humsized P90s. Never really got all the way along with those. Maybe in some other guitar some day.

Put in some GFS vintagey-wind alnico 2 humbuckers.

Coil split via push-pull volume. Some standard trickery with the wiring for sounding brighter when coil-split and when rolled off on the volume.

I am enjoying the hell out of it. Nice fat humbucker sound, but not too flabby. The bridge is real solid tho.

I am really surprised that coil splitting a 7-8k bucker sounds good, honestly. I would think that 3.5-4k would be just too little for a single coil. I really like these though. Getting about as close as i have gotten, to a guitar that can do most/all of the guitar things that i want. Cleany bright singles, all the way up to stupid metal stuff.

Been real happy with this one lately.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 pm
Winston Wolf

aye, that one has a pretty look about her too.

are you splitting, or doing the parallel thing? i prefer the parallel jimmybob thing... less noise.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:31 pm
Winston Wolf

I am just running straight coil splits. Pulling the bridge's volume knob out splits both pickups at the same time.

Most of my other guitars are single coils, so i am used to dealing with the hum of them, and don't mind it.

Usually, i can bring the hum down almost to zero, just by standing and turning so the guitar/pickup is at a 90º angle to the amp head/cab. Have to be paying attention to how i am situated to the amp more than i normally would be, but it generally works really well.

For cleaner sounds, i generally prefer sounds of straight-up low output single coils to any combination of coils. If i am going to split the coils, i am going to be going for some sparkle clean with lower-ish hum anyhoo.

Along this line of inquiry, i have to say, i really enjoy the Lace Sensors i have in one of my guitars. Not quite as single coily as a low output normal single maybe(there is kind of a weird missing "vibe" sort of feel in direct A/B playing of them), but still pretty darn nice, and really probably about half the amount of hum of a normal single coil, if not even less than that. One of those widely derided pickup types, that are actually, kind of great, within the right context and application.

Kind of like EMG actives CAN be. Even though i don't personally ever want a guitar that i have to replace batteries in. :red:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 am
Best Supporting Actress

I bought a drum machine. It keeps with my ever continuing theme of "fuck you then I will do it myself."

I should try to make friends ...

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

What kind of drum machine?

I haven't played drums in a very long time. Lately i just haven't been able to get time to do it when i can be really loud here.

Have vaguely been considering looking into low volume options. Everything good for electrokits is fucking expensive though.

I don't know if i have the patience to program a drum machine.

Drums are a pain in the dick.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:36 am
Best Supporting Actress

Just realized I posted that here and not the blog thread.

Picked up an Arturia Drumbrute. I doubt I will use it to record anything serious but I am trying to get myself back into writing music. I am living on an island and I just don't have the motivation to start or join another band ... Or meet people in general.

Though I have been messing with super down-tempo highly-compressed dripping-in-reverb electronic tracks recently. Mostly just mangling samples and layering stuff on top. I might lean into that and I can just crush the Drumbrute, so maybe it will see some recording time.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Devtron wrote:
I am living on an island and I just don't have the motivation to start or join another band ... Or meet people in general.

Sounds a little like my time spent living in NYC. :red:

Have you been recording anything of these sounds so far?

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 am
Best Supporting Actress

Not yet, I could share the works I did that kind of led itself for me to dive into more synths and drum machines:

https://soundcloud.com/dtcurrie/sets/vw_pl/s-cZkeS

Thats mostly electronic but hints of my Arturia MicroBrute make it in there.

Speaking of being on an island, I did finally decide to go meet people through tabletop games. That has slightly inspired me to maybe meet people through music. Baby steps and such.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next