View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
DSI Prophet 12 
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post DSI Prophet 12

Just announced at NAMM. Crazy digital/analog hybrid thing. Sounds awesome.

Quote:
Quick specs:
12 voices
4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms
Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources
Oscillator params: FM, AM, Sync, Level, Pitch (Coarse+Fine), extended slop algorithm, shape, shape mod/pulsewidth

Sub oscillator
Shape Mod/Pulsewidth control changes based on oscillator type:
Pulse and Tri - Pulsewidth control
Saw - Supersaw effect (note: not complete in NAMM units)
Noise - Pink on the left, White in the middle, Blue/Violet on the right
Wavetables - Blends between 3 different waveforms, one on the left, one in the middle, one on the right

Post FX section, fully analog signal path (no DAC/ADC converstion) with digital effects summed with analog signal at wet/dry points
Analog VCA and panning
Analog stereo distortion
Analog resonant Lowpass filter per voice
Analog resonant Highpass filter per voice
All analog parameters are modulated at >11kHz sample rate

Digital FX 'Character' Section:
NOTE: Effects are not finalized (besides Drive) and will be improved and possible changed before release
Air - High shelf with soft clipping
Girth - Low shelf with saturation
Hack - Bit Crush
Decimate - Sample Rate Reduction
Drive - Overdrive/Saturation

Tons of modulation:
4 LFOs up to 4kHz rate, sync and multiple shapes
4 Envelopes - VCA, Filter and 2 Auxiliary. ADSR plus delay
16 Mod slots - Oscillators can be used as sources for FM control of a wide range of params

Two Pressure- and Position-sensitive touch faders for added control in addition to the pitch and mod wheels
4 Delay lines
Can sync to internal arp clock or to external MIDI clock
~1 second buffer for each delay line
Amount, Feedback, and Rate controls on front panel
Delay time ranges from reverb and flanger effects to a looper with feedback turned to max
Delay algorithms not finalized in NAMM units and will be improved by release

Tuned Feedback
Expanded Arpeggiator modes
Quick mod section:
example: holding 'mod source' and hitting 'Osc 1' creates a new mod with 'Osc 1' as the source and brings up the screen. Then holding 'mod destination' and moving the 'Air' encoder assigns the destination to 'Air'. Simple!
Sorting of mods by slot number, mod source or mod destination which includes the fixed mods (destination params for LFOs and Envelopes) to quickly deconstruct programs. Makes it very easy to see what mods are affecting what parameters at a glance

Playlist mode for queueing up programs to use in a set for quick 1-button access to quickly load presets. 4 Playlists with 10 presets plus an extended playlist mode if more complicated setups are needed

tl;dr- Watch the damn video. It's cool. :red:

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 pm
Winston Wolf

Post Re: DSI Prophet 12
I highly approve of such noisers. Love the analogy sounding stuff. I use my yamaha more live since I'm only bringing 1 keyboard now, and I need a good piano sound, but the Alesis jobby I have has much better analog sounds, they really cut through the mix much better.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:23 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Yarr, those dave smiffs are s'posed to be swellashell.

I really like what they build in general very oldschool/newschool style. Like 'old stuff sounded awesome, but sucked to keep working properly so we smushed just enough newschool to make it work and sound cool.'

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:50 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
chris_d wrote:
Yarr, those dave smiffs are s'posed to be swellashell.

I really like what they build in general very oldschool/newschool style. Like 'old stuff sounded awesome, but sucked to keep working properly so we smushed just enough newschool to make it work and sound cool.'

As a regular abuser of the Prophet 08, I agree. My only beef with the thing is the rotary encoders- which have since been replaced with normal pots in current production. I guess you can have it modded/retrofitted, but that costs money. The encoders are... A bit touchy. :red: The actual sound of the thing, though, is full-on awesome. Uber-thick.

This creature, the Prophet 12 (an addition to the line, not a replacement for the 08) is a bit of a different critter in that it has full-on digital oscillators, not VCOs or DCOs. Predictably, people on forums are bitching about that- never mind the host of awesome digital synths out there- and the fact it can produce sounds that aren't possible with analog oscillators. Virtual analog it ain't; more something in the tradition of the old Prophet VS, PPG Wave, etc.

It has violet noise. This alone does it for me. :D

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]