Handy Docmentation and setting up our game

Moderator: Devtron

Handy Docmentation and setting up our game

Postby Devtron » Thu May 24, 2012 1:33 am

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a0ppep1e9s1niyw/NwcXjzNL5L

Should take you to my drop box, open the DnD folder and download all of it.

Included is all the books for DnD 3.5, including the players handbook that will be needed. I suggest cracking that open to start familiarizing yourself with the mechanics of the game.

The Freeport Trilogy is the campaign we will be playing, In that folder is all of the books for the campaign (three parts, death in freeport, terror in freeport and madness in freeport) and the anniversary edition pdf which seems to be a combination of all three books, plus all of the other side stuff all included in one pdf. For the sake of ease, I will be going by the anniversary edition pdf.

Finally, there is the good ol' 3.5 character sheet that you will use to create and keep track of your characters stats and such.

I suggest reading (or at least glossing over) the Freeport, City of Adventure which gives an in-depth background of the setting we will be playing in. All of the basics will be covered by the campaign book though, so it is not necessary to play or enjoy the game.

Next, we need to get a head count on how many people want to play, then we can start deciding what types of character everyone will play.

The basic archetypes for a four or five man group are:

A Tank - The focus of the battle, this guy is the one who will be attracting attention and taking all the damage.
A Healer - This guy focuses on keeping the tank and everyone else alive.
Off-Tank/Melee Damage - This guy deals damage, and often assists with tanking (wears heavy armor and keeps baddies away from squishy healers, casters and ranged damage).
A Caster - Wizarding folk who can cast spells to aide the party, deal damage and all around get shit done.
Ranged Damage - Usually wielding a bow, they deal damage from a distance, wear medium armor so they can handle themselves in melee if necessary, and usually have a supportive skillset.

That is a basic basic basic setup, but it works and is something to consider.
Dinosaurier live vor langer Zeit
Sie waren schrecklichen Echsen weißt du nicht,
Einige aßen Pflanzen und einigen Fleisch gegessen
Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Re: Handy Docmentation and setting up our game

Postby Devtron » Thu May 24, 2012 2:06 am

http://goonmill.org/millwheel/

That is a character generator that can help you build yours. Make sure to read up on feats and such to know what you are choosing.

Here is a test character sheet I made up, it is not to be used as a template or anything just to show you what you are looking at (though the formatting is a bit goofy):

test

Male Human Fighter 1
undefined
Representing test

Strength 18 (+4)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 10 (+0)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 12 (+1)

Size: Medium
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 260 lb
Skin: Tan
Eyes: Dark Brown
Hair: Dark Brown; Wavy; Average Beard

Total Hit Points: 13

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 17 = 10 +3 [studded] +2 [heavy steel] +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 15

Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +5 = 2 [base] +3 [constitution]
Reflex save: +2 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save: +2 = 0 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +5 = 1 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +5 = 1 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (missile): +3 = 1 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +5 = 1 [base] +4 [strength]

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
100 lb. or less
101-200 lb.
201-300 lb.
300 lb.
600 lb.
1500 lb.

Languages: Common

Light Mace [1d6, crit x2, 1 lb, light, bludgeoning]

Studded armor [light; +3 AC; max dex +5; check penalty -1; 20 lb.]

Heavy Steel Shield [+2 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 10; hp 20; 15 lb.]

Feats:

Athletic
Endurance
Power Attack

Traits:

Skill Name

Key
Ability

Skill
Modifier

Ability
Modifier

Ranks

Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int 0 =
+0

Balance Dex* 2 =
+2

Bluff Cha 1 =
+1

Climb Str* 8 =
+4
+2 +2 [athletic]
Concentration Con 3 =
+3

Craft_1 Int 0 =
+0

Craft_2 Int 0 =
+0

Craft_3 Int 0 =
+0

Diplomacy Cha 1 =
+1

Disguise Cha 1 =
+1

Escape Artist Dex* 2 =
+2

Forgery Int 0 =
+0

Gather Information Cha 2 =
+1
+1
Heal Wis 2 =
+2

Hide Dex* 2 =
+2

Intimidate Cha 2 =
+1
+1
Jump Str* 4 =
+4

Listen Wis 3 =
+2
+1
Move Silently Dex* 2 =
+2

Perform_1 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_2 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_3 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_4 Cha 1 =
+1

Perform_5 Cha 1 =
+1

Ride Dex 2 =
+2

Search Int 0 =
+0

Sense Motive Wis 2.5 =
+2
+0.5
Spot Wis 3 =
+2
+1
Survival Wis 3 =
+2
+1
Swim Str** 6 =
+4
+2 [athletic]
Use Rope Dex 2 =
+2

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Human:

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Fighter:

Bonus Feats (already included)

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Fighter 10

test's Equipment:

36 lb
2 lb
5 lb

2 lb

3 lb
10 lb
1 lb
8 lb
1 lb
20 lb
2 lb
1 lb
_____
91 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Backpack
Bedroll
Bottle
Flasks x1
Flint and steel
Rations (1 day) x3
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Soap
Spade / shovel
Spyglass
Tent
Torches x2
Whetstone

Total

More about test:

test
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Snaxocaster » Thu May 24, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm in. I can cause trouble.
Member Of The Radium Water Gentleman's League Of Luxury.
Snaxocaster
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More

Postby knope » Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm in... lots of reading to do on my part :poop:
knope
The guy from the place with the thing. The one with the stuff.

Yes/No: No

Postby Snaxocaster » Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 am

Player's Handbook is the big important one. Then the campaign book- that's yer setting. The rest... Well, the Dungeon Master's Guide matters to Devin if he's DMing, the Monster Manuals are an odd sort of field guide + writing tool, and the rest are add-ons. the PHB/DMG/MM are your "core" books and everything else is an expansion, basically.

I've always found gaming manuals pretty readable, too, for whatever that's worth. They don't feel like a chore to read.

Actually, scratch part of that- after quickly peeking at the Freeport Anniversary Edition .pdf... No one but Devin should be reading that. That's the whole fucking story. I was initially thinking that was all setting/color material. This is a bit different from the video game world where it's expected- even assumed at times- the players know the plot going in. A big part of pen-and-paper gaming is keeping the players in the dark to various degrees at the DM's discretion, and it doesn't quite work if the players know, for example, that they are going to get ambushed at such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time, or if they do X, Y will result and they can be sure of that. Whatever's in there for the players to know is doled out by the DM, again at their discretion, as the game progresses. Think of it like a novel in that sense- the characters don't know how it's going to end until they get there.

So yeah, read the PHB and familiarize yourself with the mechanics. Nothing that's in the DMG is any big secret; 's the mechanics from a different angle and guidelines/ideas on how to run things and write things. The rest are fun extras. There's a lot of stuff in the extras geared toward character creation.
Snaxocaster
Simethicone

Postby Devtron » Fri May 25, 2012 10:37 am

Snaxocaster wrote:Player's Handbook is the big important one. Then the campaign book- that's yer setting. The rest... Well, the Dungeon Master's Guide matters to Devin if he's DMing, the Monster Manuals are an odd sort of field guide + writing tool, and the rest are add-ons. the PHB/DMG/MM are your "core" books and everything else is an expansion, basically.

I've always found gaming manuals pretty readable, too, for whatever that's worth. They don't feel like a chore to read.

Actually, scratch part of that- after quickly peeking at the Freeport Anniversary Edition .pdf... No one but Devin should be reading that. That's the whole fucking story. I was initially thinking that was all setting/color material. This is a bit different from the video game world where it's expected- even assumed at times- the players know the plot going in. A big part of pen-and-paper gaming is keeping the players in the dark to various degrees at the DM's discretion, and it doesn't quite work if the players know, for example, that they are going to get ambushed at such-and-such a place at such-and-such a time, or if they do X, Y will result and they can be sure of that. Whatever's in there for the players to know is doled out by the DM, again at their discretion, as the game progresses. Think of it like a novel in that sense- the characters don't know how it's going to end until they get there.

So yeah, read the PHB and familiarize yourself with the mechanics. Nothing that's in the DMG is any big secret; 's the mechanics from a different angle and guidelines/ideas on how to run things and write things. The rest are fun extras. There's a lot of stuff in the extras geared toward character creation.

Yeah I thought the it was a lot more of the backstory but it is really a DM guide for that setting.

The Freeport, City of Adventure would be better reading if you want to investigate the setting a bit before we play, but really I would crack into the Player's Handbook before anything so you know what to do and what type of character you want to build.

Also, I am going to be messing with the story line a bit anyway, so reading ahead in the campaign books would not serve much purpose. :red:

That said, I am going to try to keep this first campaign simple, but the trilogy is a good long campaign so once we get momentum rolling we should plenty of story to work with.
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Snaxocaster » Sat May 26, 2012 8:41 am

I'm pretty much sitting on me bum and waiting to see what everyone else comes up with for a character before creating something. (Unless it is strongly advised I do otherwise.)

Re: structuring the party, the traditional fighter/wizard/cleric/thief is like the vocals/guitar/bass/drums of adventuring parties. There's an inherent balance to the thing.

And it's tempting, as always, to make the characters fucked-up in some sort of way. The cleric thinks he's [insert god or goddess]'s gift to women and is a gambler and a drunk, the fighter is this epic barbarian warrior cast out of his tribe for being gay, the wizard never wanted to be a wizard but came from a family of wizards, etc.
Snaxocaster
Simethicone

Postby knope » Sun May 27, 2012 11:07 am

Druid who when she changes into animal form has a 1/20 chance to lose concentration and turn into an armored kitty?
knope

Postby Devtron » Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 am

knope wrote:Druid who when she changes into animal form has a 1/20 chance to lose concentration and turn into an armored kitty?

Concentration threshold of 1 on a 1d20 roll?

The odds are so bad that I am almost willing to allow it.

Also when it comes to bending the rules for such shenanigans, I am down.
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Devtron » Sun May 27, 2012 11:31 am

If you are interested in playing a SS:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shapeshift ... e_Class%29

We could put in a rule that basically states you have to roll a 2 or higher on a 1d20 roll or you lose concentration in your shift and get changed into a armored kitty (we could create a species of small cats with armor plating and create stats for it).

If we make an Armored Kitty have pretty low stats, your natural form stats would replace them so basically it would be a shapeshift without stat boosts and you lose and gain certain abilities.

I could see it working.
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Broseidon » Sun May 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Currently familiarizing myself with this shiz. This should be good fun, I think.
President of the Radium Water Gentlemen's League Of Luxury
Broseidon
Walrus meat

Postby knope » Sun May 27, 2012 5:48 pm

SS wouldn't be a bad idea but I'm going to commit to a druid (officially). How much do the other players and characters know about your character?

BTW, Looked up the monster manual and:

CAT
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2 d8 (2 hp) Keep characters hp?
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12 raise according to character's level or half of characters level?
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2–4) no attack bonuses
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d2–4) and bite –1 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +14*, Jump +10, Listen +3,
Move Silently +6, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
knope

Postby Broseidon » Sun May 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Hm, I like the idea of a rogue with a hashish habit. Possibly a pirate of the West Indies or the Middle East. :monocle:

Anyways, I have read a little about the history of Freeport and familiarized myself with the setting and have been reading some basic stuff out of the character handbook. Mostly dice roll stuff concerning combat and events, character creation and all the other basic stuff. Anything I am missing or could be doing to speed up the process?
Broseidon
Walrus meat

Postby Devtron » Sun May 27, 2012 6:04 pm

knope wrote:SS wouldn't be a bad idea but I'm going to commit to a druid (officially). How much do the other players and characters know about your character?

BTW, Looked up the monster manual and:

CAT
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2 d8 (2 hp) Keep characters hp?
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12 raise according to character's level or half of characters level?
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2–4) no attack bonuses
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d2–4) and bite –1 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +14*, Jump +10, Listen +3,
Move Silently +6, Spot +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

I'd have to look into the rolls to figure it out, but as far as your abilities it defaults to whichever is higher, your natural stats or the stats of your shifted form. We could make the hit and con modifiers the same as your natural form I suppose since they should default to those stats anyway?

We could make it work.
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Devtron » Sun May 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Broseidon wrote:Hm, I like the idea of a rogue with a hashish habit. Possibly a pirate of the West Indies or the Middle East. :monocle:

Anyways, I have read a little about the history of Freeport and familiarized myself with the setting and have been reading some basic stuff out of the character handbook. Mostly dice roll stuff concerning combat and events, character creation and all the other basic stuff. Anything I am missing or could be doing to speed up the process?

There are plenty of resources for good builds to aim for for your character. As a rogue, your job is going to be sneakery, lockpicking and other forms of rogueish abilities. You can focus more on subterfuge or damage dealing, or a nice mix of both. Nothing like sneaking up on someone and giving them the ol' knife to the back. Also with your hashish addiction you could look into herbalism and alchemy, and maybe brew up potions or poisons or other useful things.

You could also go for a swashbuckling/duelist sort of build and focus on dealing damage with swords. It really depends on what you think you would rather be doing.
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Broseidon » Sun May 27, 2012 6:17 pm

A swashbuckling type character would be more my style, but I guess I just thought the rogue thing made more sense with his shady personality. But 'tis as flexible a game as we wish to make it, so I guess I a big badass Scimitar on a more combat oriented build would be nice. Lots of options though..
Broseidon
Walrus meat

Postby Devtron » Sun May 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Broseidon wrote:A swashbuckling type character would be more my style, but I guess I just thought the rogue thing made more sense with his shady personality. But 'tis as flexible a game as we wish to make it, so I guess I a big badass Scimitar on a more combat oriented build would be nice. Lots of options though..

I would go for a swashbuckling rogue.

Let's all him a Rapscallion for example.

Basically a rogue with a piratey background, so you know how to pick the lock to a treasure chest but can also hold your own in straight out combat. Your main ability is dexterity either way, and instead of a big-stick style hitter you would be a more finessed dodgey style fighter.

But the beauty of it is you have complete control, so just base your characters abilities and skills around things you want to be doing. I think for a scimitar you might need Martial Weapon proficiency, and I would probably rock medium armor. If you wanted you could dual wield, but that means carrying another weapon.

ALSO, if you want to go full pirate background, I have the rules for Firearms (check page 147 of Freeport, City of Adventure.
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Devtron » Sun May 27, 2012 6:41 pm

As for your habit, we could include this rule ....

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Beneficial ... nt_Rule%29

"Beneficial drugs are potent substances that have a strong effect on humanoid biologies. There is nothing inherently evil about use of these drugs, but some particularly idealistic polities, often religion-driven, tend to outlaw them, fearing their effects. More cynical or corrupt regimes forbid them more primarily to drive up prices (and thus enrich the distributors), prevent effective regulation, and to enrich the distributors — who are often the rulers themselves, or who pay large sums to the rulers for the privilege of a state-sponsored monopoly.

In an open market, these substances may be quite inexpensive. Where they are contraband, the price may go arbitrarily high, and the quality arbitrarily low. Fraud may be common unless dealers are familiar to the purchaser, but even that is no guarantee since the dealer herself may be hoodwinked. Prices in the below descriptions are for a relatively open market, where these substances may be traded openly.

Unless otherwise specified in the drug description, a drug's effects are an Alchemical bonus and untyped penalty. Consequently, the positive effect of a drug does not stack with itself, although the penalty will.

Delay Poison and Neutralize Poison and similar effects either delay the onset of a drug's effects or neutralize it altogether, as appropriate. "

and ...

"Wizard's Weed

Description: This green plant is dried and sold in pouches, similar to tobacco. As with tobacco, it is smoked, but unlike tobacco it tends to emit tiny sparks when lit and the exhaled smoke is a pale shade of green. Once lit, it must be smoked for at least one round, and will take two rounds to take effect. Wizard's Weed helps with clarity of thought and memory, but it makes the user nauseous. One pouch of Wizard's Weed costs 10gp and contains 10 doses.
Benefit: +1d4 Int for one hour.
Cost: -1d4 Con for two hours. "
Devtron
Best Supporting Actress

Postby Broseidon » Sun May 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Man, that is pretty awesome. :lol:

I guess a swashbuckling rogue it is, and I would be totally down for getting pirate-y as fuck and going for the full pirate background and getting firearms involved possibly. Maybe a powerful blunderbuss with consequences for it's use? Like a dice roll with a 50/50 chance of damage done to myself due to it's wild recoil or some shit? Think that could make things interesting. Hm, infinite possibilities this game provides.
Broseidon
Walrus meat

Postby knope » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Nopia (Beta 0.3). I might change some of the skill/feats according to what else the party is compromised of. DM rolls the ability scores and player chooses were to place them?
Is there anyway to hide this to prevent this thread from becoming too long? Like a spoiler tab or something?

Nopia

Female Human Druid 1
undefined
Representing Tony

Strength 9 (-1)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 17 (+3)
Intelligence 11 (+0)
Wisdom 17 (+3)
Charisma 11 (+0)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 2"
Weight: 115 lb
Skin: Tan
Eyes: Green
Hair: Black; Wavy

Total Hit Points: 11

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 15 = 10 +2 [leather] +1 [light wooden] +2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 13

Initiative modifier: +2 = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +5 = 2 [base] +3 [constitution]
Reflex save: +2 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save: +5 = 2 [base] +3 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): -1 = 0 [base] -1 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): -1 = 0 [base] -1 [strength]
Attack (missile): +2 = 0 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check: -1 = 0 [base] -1 [strength]

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
30 lb. or less
31-60 lb.
61-90 lb.
90 lb.
180 lb.
450 lb.

Languages: Common Druidic

Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]

Short Spear [1d6, crit x2, range inc 20 ft., 3 lb, one-handed, piercing]

Scimitar [1d6, crit 18-20/x2, 4 lb, one-handed, slashing]

Leather armor [light; +2 AC; max dex +6; check penalty 0; 15 lb.]

Light Wooden Shield [+1 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 5; hp 7; 5 lb.]

Feats:

Augment Summoning
Spell Focus (Conjuration)

Traits:

Skill Name

Key
Ability

Skill
Modifier

Ability
Modifier

Ranks

Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int 0 =
+0

Balance Dex* 2 =
+2

Bluff Cha 0 =
+0

Climb Str* -1 =

Concentration Con 7 =
+3
+4
Craft_1 Int 0 =
+0

Craft_2 Int 0 =
+0

Craft_3 Int 0 =
+0

Diplomacy Cha 0 =
+0

Disguise Cha 0 =
+0

Escape Artist Dex* 2 =
+2

Forgery Int 0 =
+0

Gather Information Cha 0 =
+0

Handle Animal Cha 4 =
+0
+4
Heal Wis 7 =
+3
+4
Hide Dex* 2 =
+2

Intimidate Cha 0 =
+0

Jump Str* -1 =

Knowledge (nature) Int 2 =
+0
+2 [druid]
Listen Wis 3 =
+3

Move Silently Dex* 2 =
+2

Perform_1 Cha 0 =
+0

Perform_2 Cha 0 =
+0

Perform_3 Cha 0 =
+0

Perform_4 Cha 0 =
+0

Perform_5 Cha 0 =
+0

Ride Dex 2 =
+2

Search Int 0 =
+0

Sense Motive Wis 3 =
+3

Spellcraft Int 4 =
+0
+4
Spot Wis 3 =
+3

Survival Wis 9 =
+3
+4 +2 [druid]
Swim Str** -1 =

Use Rope Dex 2 =
+2

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Zero-level Druid spells: 3 per day

First-level Druid spells: 2 per day

Human:

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Druid:

Spontaneous Casting (summon nature's ally)

Animal Companion

Wild Empathy

+2 on Knowledge (nature) and Survival (already included)

Woodland Stride (level 2)

Trackless Step (level 3)

Resist Nature's Lure (level 4)

Wild Shape (level 5)

Venom Immunity (level 9)

A Thousand Faces (level 13)

Timeless Body (level 15)

High wisdom gains bonus spells daily

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Druid 8

Nopia's Equipment:

28 lb
5 lb

1 lb
1 lb

2 lb
_____
37 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Bedroll
Bottle
Flint and steel
Rations (1 day) x1
Healer kit
Holly and mistletoe
Spell component pouch

Total

Animal Companion: Wolf

Medium-Size Animal

Hit dice 2d8+4 (13 hit points)

Initiative +2 (Dex)

Speed 50 feet

AC: +2 Dex +2 natural

Attacks: Bite

Damage 1d6+1 (bite);

Special Qualities: Scent

Saves: Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +1

Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6

Skills: Hide +3; Listen +6; Move Silently +4; Spot +4; Survival +1;
Feats: Weapon Finesse (Bite)

Link, share spells

Bonus tricks: 1
knope

Next

Return to Table Top