View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Incoming 
Winston Wolf

Post Incoming
for the cover band I have a Les Paul Axcess (as some of you know already)

I posted a pic from sweetwater, but only because i dinnae have pics yet. I got it on ebay for a great deal. If I do not like it it will get sold quickly. I was originally eyeing a black custom (68RI) for the Izzy role, and the little lady loves a black custom so I can't argue with that.

Yeah so a Floyd on a LP seems odd, but I've played an Axcess and if I have to go to a Trem, I prefer Floyds to anything out there. The Axcess also has a nice neck access carve and splittable pups.

I had also been eyeing some old mid 80's Customs with Kahlers, but my limited dealing with Kahler trems had me nervous about tuning stability. In the cover band I'm the guy that hold everything down. Starting most of the songs, I can't have tuning issues. I will be setting up the Axcess to not float in case of string breakage.

Pic uploaded soon.I will see if I can pull some that I downloaded.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:05 am
Winston Wolf

Post Re: Incoming
Piktar

Attachments:
$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrdK4BQUo-j46Q!~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrdK4BQUo-j46Q!~~60_57.JPG [ 383.66 KiB | Viewed 3278 times ]

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Fuckyeah! A FloydLP is kind of a weird beast, but those guitars are nicey nice. Doesn't our resident eight year old Gage/Flaming Frets have one of those as well?

Does the Axcess come stock with the D-Tuna jobber onnit?

Nice looking color/top too. :huzzah:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 am
Winston Wolf

no doesn't come stock with it, but this one is not coming with the d-tuna to me either. I might put one on, but we do very little drop d now...

Everything else in piktar is included, including 2 bridge pups (pictured one is a Burstbucker, the stock splittable one is in the case)

Attachments:
$(KGrHqZHJEkE+RMz,oImBQUo-)o)1w~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqZHJEkE+RMz,oImBQUo-)o)1w~~60_57.JPG [ 523.02 KiB | Viewed 3272 times ]

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 am
Winston Wolf

I got this one at a good price, the 22nd fret is popped up in the high e side so it will need to be tamped down, I will probably just take it to my luthier who is only about 1/2 mile away. I usually take him my new guitar for a proper once over and setup when I get them.

Attachments:
$(KGrHqVHJBEE+P2!6HL!BQUpECOlLQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqVHJBEE+P2!6HL!BQUpECOlLQ~~60_57.JPG [ 380.71 KiB | Viewed 3272 times ]

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:27 am
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
The fret is apparent in the picture. And if minor, easily fixable shit means you get a better deal on it...

Needs moar finish wear/buckle rash. :red: Just so you get it cheaper.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:10 pm
Winston Wolf

Snaxocaster wrote:
Needs moar finish wear/buckle rash. :red: Just so you get it cheaper.

yes, I am not a guy that keeps guitars in Museum shape. I sold the 339 to buy this, I couldn't use the 339, it was far too pretty for me to be jumping on tables like a common harlot with. This one has some wear and tear and looks like a whore already. :eekass:

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 pm
Simethicone

Here here. :huzzah: All of my band's shit has some wear. Not that it's not taken care of- and our drummer's kit is in remarkable shape for its age- but, it's like... To quote the surplus store owner from Falling Down, this was used. :lol: Stuff gets gigged for a few years or a decade or two or three and shit happens, y'know?

When I see used gear that looks like it just walked out of the factory, I get suspicious. Not that I expect things to be dinged up or damaged or even obviously beat on, but there's a more subtle you can tell without it being overtly battered. (Look at the hardware, and around the bridge, and the headstock, and the neck, if it's a stringéd thing. You'll know.) And sometimes I'm skeptical of the gear- okay, what's wrong with this one? But I'm more likely wondering about the owner- what's wrong with them that they never played you?

I have no problem with signs of use. Means it's probably a good one. Where'd you find this one, anyhow?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:26 am
Winston Wolf

up on Ebay actually. I'm not a big Ebay geetfiddle buyer, but was eyeing a bunch of 68RI LPC's for the Izzy thing, when this came across my search. I was thinkking about it, I had almost bought a few older LPC's with a Kahler, (I have been digging the old Def Leppard stuff Steve Clark style) and I have not played a trem in about 3 years and was thinking of one of the Stetsbar other than they are somewhat ugly. Ugly doesn't bother me if functional. I've never use a stetsbar, but for a non marring add on to a Les Paul I was thinking it might be worth a try.

Slash in November Rain (Jerry) has a shit load of LP's (he's an attorney, so monetarily he's doing ok) and he has an Axcess and has also sent 2 of his LP's out to Gary Brawer to have FR put in them. They are really well done. He uses them in his other cover bands.

I'm undecided on it, I will try it for a bit, I may end up selling it, but that why I buy at a low price and sell high. I've mentioned I don't like trying out guitars in stores. I generally buy between 15-45 guitars a years and sell that many as well. I usually have about 10-12 in the stable.

right now:
77 LP
'07 LP
Axcess
LP Jr
Mexi Tele
Am Tele
72 RI Tele
Hamer Tele
'87 RG550L
American Reverend SSC
Jap Squier Strat
Ibanez DT350 (Destroyer)

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am
Winston Wolf

btw, Holy fuckballs it is an odd creature. Doesn't feel all that much like a LP. Neck is thin, but not quite 60's thin, body is just a hair slimmer, the action was very low and it had 9's on it. Those are now off and reasonable 10-52's are on. I re-installed the original BB2 on it and have the split coil thing happening, does make a variety of tones. It's going to it's first practice tonight and first gig Saturday night. (Not using this one in GnR)

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 am
Simethicone

Sounds like an ESP Eclipse, from the description. Like, sort of a Les Paul, but not quite. Single coil sounds coming out of a Les Paul is... Unsettling. :hypno: But you have the versatility thing going on and it's not a superstrat or PRS. :nods:

10-52 is a fine gauge for standard tuning. It's just right. You can still do a whole step bend with vibrato easily on the high strings, and the low strings have a good solid firmness for rhythm work. (And I can still bend those guys just fine, too, which does come up from time to time.)

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]