View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Let's talk about Floyd Roses a bit... 
Winston Wolf

Post Re: Let's talk about Floyd Roses a bit...
chris_d wrote:
torgeot wrote:
I take it you're thinking of trying one?

It looked interesting, and i remember not liking intonating the old original floyd i did for a friend once, just for its tedious nature.

Also, it is again a device so simple, that i may try to create one. Basically two bent strips of metal, two threaded holes, a spring and a long threaded bolt. I think building one would be slightly more tedious(cutting the slot, getting the angles right to sit flat when tightened, etc.) than doing the intonation itself without one, but it might be an interesting project to fuck around with.

Yeah the first two time I did my own FR intonation I realized that paying my luthier $35 to do it once a year was fully worth the investment. I would pickup one of these doohickeys and do it though. I like to tinkeer with my guitars when I have time, just lately not had time.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm
Best Supporting Actress

chris_d wrote:
I don't know for sure that would be an upgrade from the JT6, which is actually a pretty okay LFR, especially compared to what is coming out in piles from china right now.

What do the knife edges(the pivot points) look like on your JT6? If they are clean looking and not all dented/cut up, then you probably would just need to adjust the thing, maybe get some new springs for the back, to tighten it up.

The knife edges are the biggest thing. The studs can also get toasted, but they are easily replaced. Almost everything is easily replaced, but you need to have that solid backplate with the hardened knife edges correctly machined, or you are always going to have problems. If your JT6 looks good there, and none of its screws/bolts are stripped(the main problem as i understand it, with the older licensed floyds, seems to have something to do with the quality of the metal used in the screws, possibly more than the other parts) then you should be able to give it a tune up and make it work nice.

Also, a trem stabilizer can work for that, especially one like the one that tor posted. It preloads the bridge with enough tension that it will still work as a tremolo, but will be much tighter.

I only say this, because i once bought the "premium" strat bridge from GFS, and despite the marketing hype, the metal they made the base out of wore very quickly, and you can see in its bearing edges and on its surface, where the intonation screws gouged into it and its bearing edges, even after only like five months of use. So when they say something is "super nice" i remain skeptical. It does look good, but i remain skeptical, because i was not at all impressed by the 'super nice' metal in this strat bridge. The string saddles were okay though, i eventually moved them to a normal cheapo hardtail strat style bridgeplate from an 80s japanese guitar, which was about a thousand times higher quality metal than the GFS plate.

Basically, as i have seen from looking at all of this stuff for a while now, is that there seem to be certain manufacturing realities, and i suspect that they are more material-based than construction quality based.

The Shit Realm is $14-35 and there are about three main chinese designs in it, two OFR-style(one original, one kind of sort of like the schaller design) and one lo-profile/Pro style one. Everything about them is cheap looking, and it is all bad metal involved(hmmm...).

The Less Shit Realm jumps up to about $65-90 and that is where the GFS trems(one kind of oddball speedloader(but not for the special floyd strings), one original(the one you poasted)) live. It is also where the actual Floyd Rose Special lives. The Special looks to be basically exactly what the top end GFS is, just made by Floyd, in Korea. I feel like these are likely to be more or less interchangable, quality-wise. They seem to use better metal than the Shit Realm, but you will also find tons of people complaining about the metal quality and wear problems with all of these, if you read around.

From there you only have a couple of real choices, the extremely high quality Schaller licensed one for about $160, or the actual real deal official Floyd for about $200something. Either one of these is basically the best around in steel floyds.

Yep the screws are just about stripped to uselessness. They are also getting really rough looking. Allen keys slip in them a bit and they just feel really soft. The knife edges themselves look a bit worn but the way it is right now I can't get a good look at the contact points.

The screws I would need to get to replace it are only available from some random Dutch supplier IIRC.

Maybe a stabilizer will relieve that softish feel I am getting. Honestly the studs themselves are the most worn looking bits so that may be the real culprit; they seem to be made of the same shitmetal the screws are. My best option might be just to replace everything made of this black probably-shit metal.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
In that case(the bolts and allenheads being roundy and sketch) yarr, the GFS(or the Floyd Rose Special) might be a good option.

Before you buy anything, make sure that you note the dimensions they list, especially for the post spacing, there is some variance out there, and i don't know how close to OFR measurements the Jackson trems were.

As long as you don't need to modify the guitar and can just drop the new Floyd in, $85 is not too bad.

I just don't really expect it to last as long as a real floyd, or even some of the older nicer licensed floyds from the 80s, which seem to have used nicer metal in the backplates than what folks use now. Even the single locking licensed floyd that came on my Charvette is made out of much nicer metal than any of the bridges i have bought from GFS or wherever more recently. If it wasn't single locking, and with totally odd and uncommon thumbscrews for the fine tuners(which i would need to replace one of), i would just put it back in this thing. The backplate is still solid as hell and the edges are still clean and sharp. And it saw wayyy more use and abuse than the "deluxe" GFS bridge that basically suicided itself in less than a half year.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Devtron wrote:
shitmetal

This is now officially what it's called, because I say so. There's no better term. It strips so easily, especially on the parts of a Floyd that get manipulated regularly.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
As i wait for my ghettofloyd to leave China, i must ponder the second question.

Namely, how to mount the thing when it gets here.

Basically, going between two main options, properly inset, or mounted up on the surface.

Inset like the standard big route floyd guitars, the backplate sits basically flush to the guitar top surface:

Or sitting tall surface mounted like the Charvels, where the baseplate sits maybe 1/8" to 1/4" above the guitar surface:

Though really, i suppose this will come down to what the bridge looks like and how tall the fretboard sits from the body level. I believe that current;y the height is ideally suited for the bridge to be set taller like the Charvel. Which kind of suits me, because i like the looks of that, kind of makes the Floyd stick out like a sore thumb in a pleasantly obnoxious manner.

I won't know for sure until the thing gets here though, what it will work best with.

Anyone have preferences? I personally have tended to like tune-o-matics and whatnot which are pretty tall, but i also rather enjoy the telecaster which is pretty short. I would also assume that the inset might provide a bit more upwards bend travel, simply because the bit under the string locks is deeper than the level at which the studs are mounted. I don't know how far up i really need to go though, there are certain mechanical realities one runs into when pitching a guitar up...

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:01 pm
Henry Kissinger

I've always preferred floyds recessed but then again I've owned an RG550 for 50% of my life.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:36 pm
Pendulous

I think recessed just seems more structurally sound. I mean look how everything is practically hanging out of the guitar because of that bridge height. And then them tweaky bits will get all up on your finish if you bend up enough.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 am
Shits Where He Eats

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: Less

Wed May 08, 2013 3:07 am
Winston Wolf

I totally agree, Chinabot. Also, may I add, bicycle in Helsinki.

Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2