View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Working at a guitar store is dangerous (for your wallet) NGD 
Best Supporting Actress

Post Working at a guitar store is dangerous (for your wallet) NGD

Squier Classic Vibe Tele with double-bound alder goodness. $175 out the door in a crappy gig bag.

It's a fantastic playing guitar, and will be the backup to my new fancy guitar coming in the (hopefully near) future. Dead-stock it is pretty decent, but it plays a lot better than it sounds (plugged in, unplugged it's very resonant). The pickups are just dull as shit, but a restring might bring some life back into them. Also the threaded-barrel saddles are pretty bleh, brass might be a better choice but I think a more modern setup would suit me better.

Gonna mod the shit out of it me'thinks. I'm planning on swapping out the bridge and 3 barrel saddles for 6 SS saddles, dropping rails in the bridge position and a full-sized bucker in the neck. Might throw a toggle switch in between the volume and tone knobs for coil-splitting (I don't like push-pull pots), and I'll probably reverse the control panel.

All said and done, it should be a fantastic Tele for under $500.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
Less/More: More
Post Re: Working at a guitar store is dangerous (for your wallet)
Graphite saddles are always an option. I am a fan. Very non-traditional, but they do cut down on string breakage. There's also the compensated brass barrels that'll intonate a little more nicely than the traditional ones, if you're going for a more typical Tele thing. Though if you're doing 'buckers... :idk:

It is certainly a nice looking guitar, though. And if it plays well and sounds good unplugged, just ditch the electronics and you should have something solid. :nods:

All and all, a fine score. I like the binding.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:08 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
Graphite saddles are always an option. I am a fan. Very non-traditional, but they do cut down on string breakage. There's also the compensated brass barrels that'll intonate a little more nicely than the traditional ones, if you're going for a more typical Tele thing. Though if you're doing 'buckers... :idk:

It is certainly a nice looking guitar, though. And if it plays well and sounds good unplugged, just ditch the electronics and you should have something solid. :nods:

All and all, a fine score. I like the binding.

Eh I have had a Tele with the Wilkinson Compensated brass saddles and always had intonation issues. Though I never took it in for a proper setup so maybe Ill give them another shot.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:47 am
Profile WWW
Pendulous

The bounded sunburst rosewood telecaster is kind of like, the ultimate look for a tele in my books. It's a hawt axe for sure.

If you ever want to replace the pickups I ordered Bill Lawrence Keystones for mine and they sound great. Good gain tones but my god, the clean tones are just fantastic.

Edit: Disregard pickup advice, now that I've read your plans, unless you want to keep a stock look and semi-traditional sound suddenly

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]