View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Strat 
Winston Wolf

Post Strat
I had 4 teles, now I have 3, I didn't have a strat now I have this

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:56 am
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
Less/More: More
Post Re: Strat
That is just a classic classic. :huzzah:

I haven't had a strat for a while now. I definitely need to put three pickups in something soon.

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:04 am
Pendulous

How could you have not had a strat?

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:04 am
Best Supporting Actress

Unstrung wrote:
How could you have not had a strat?

I don't own/don't plan on owning a strat.

Don't like them despite my best efforts. I've played probably hundreds at Sam Ash alone, some custom shop stuff too, and still never loved a strat. Every guitar I have is either a tele-shape, or an offset Jazzmaster-esque shape. My next guitar is probably going to be an FGN JIL-DE664, because it's a long-scale japanese tele.

That said, I think strats look great and sound great, I just personally can't play one for long.

That is pretty much the most classic of classic guitars right there though.

Einige aßen Fisch und einige aßen Tiere

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Winston Wolf

I've had strats I just tend to like teles better and I had a strat I loved and sold it, should have kept that one but I think I should have one at least for recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:53 pm
Winston Wolf

Yes/No: No
For recording for sure, IMO a near-requirement and a useful tool.

I don't really like playing strats because of all of the cuts and smooved bits, makes it too ergonomic/comfortable. I prefer the ridiculoslab of the tele, makes it feel like the guitar doesn't like me and wants to fight, which i prefer. If i wanted comfortable i would go for the superior shape and layout of the SG personally.

But. I am continually coming across recoardings that i have made over the years where i know i have used strats, and where i love the guitar sound. Partly, it may be because it is a nice foil to my normal tele or SG sounds and a unique vibe as a texture element. In fact, it is normally not even the 2 or 4 position that i generally find myself using this way on recoardings, but rather the middle alone or the neck. That in conjunction with pretty much every strat i have played having the action slightly too low so it gets interestingly plinky in the upper frets(which also affects the way chords ring and sound when fingered lower down on the neck), has meant that i just kind of have to get another strat i guess.

For a while i was thinking of going nashville/SSS style tele, but i don't actually think that will do what i am looking for, as i suspect that a lot of the thing i use a strat for has to do with the strat bridge and aforementioned odd neck/action thing that i keep getting from strats. I don't think i would like a tele set up that way at all.

As much as i really do not need another fucking guitar. :red:

START YOUR OWN RELIGION TODAY.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:06 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Conversely, the bridge pickup an the neck angle/action combined with that (IMO [and the opinion of most luthier and tech I know]) godawful trem are the exact reasons why I can't play strats.

It's not a bolt-on thing, I play 50/50 bolt-on and set necks. But strats just always seem to need ... work. That's probably why I love Teles. They might not play perfectly, but I don't feel like they need work.

On that note I picked up a Reverend Bayonet. By all accounts a great guitar and honestly the Wilkinson trem it has does a solid job. But I just feel like I lose something with the trem, and I don't use it anyway so I will probably end up trading it out. Sucks cause it looks so fucking pop punk, it's metallic blue/teal for christ's sake, but I am not digging it at all. Even with new strings the trem kills the pick attack (once again IMO) and the guitar feels loose and sloppy to me.

It's mostly me being picky. And to be fair the comfort thing about strats is their best point to me. I love teles with elbow and tummy cuts, I know I'm not a purist but I also use 'buckers so that shit went out the window a while ago. But basically, I want a shredder guitar that looks nothing like a shreddy guitar, which is why the FGN looks titsy to me.

But yeah, strats on recordings are just magic. I will still probably just use a tele for out EP though.

#notrainingonyourparade

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Simethicone

Yes/No: Yes
chris_d wrote:
I don't really like playing strats because of all of the cuts and smooved bits, makes it too ergonomic/comfortable. I prefer the ridiculoslab of the tele, makes it feel like the guitar doesn't like me and wants to fight, which i prefer. If i wanted comfortable i would go for the superior shape and layout of the SG personally.

In fact, it is normally not even the 2 or 4 position that i generally find myself using this way on recoardings, but rather the middle alone or the neck. That in conjunction with pretty much every strat i have played having the action slightly too low so it gets interestingly plinky in the upper frets(which also affects the way chords ring and sound when fingered lower down on the neck), has meant that i just kind of have to get another strat i guess.

For a while i was thinking of going nashville/SSS style tele, but i don't actually think that will do what i am looking for, as i suspect that a lot of the thing i use a strat for has to do with the strat bridge and aforementioned odd neck/action thing that i keep getting from strats. I don't think i would like a tele set up that way at all.

Understandable. As someone who spends most of their time on a very specific Strat, I make sure it's uncomfortable in other ways with beefier strings and a high action. Which, I suppose, has become a stereotypically Strat thing thanks to the Stevie Ray Vaughanabees. Re: SGs, neck dive. :red: Switching between Strats and Teles, while I suppose the Strat is more ergonomic, the weight and balance of the things seems broadly similar, so I find them fairly equal in comfort. If I really wanted ergonomics, I suppose I'd just play a PRS. :idk:

I've never been big on 2 and 4, but the middle and neck on their own make a Strat a Strat, the neck especially, IMO. Put whatever in the bridge; the stock bridge pickup sucks anyhow. A Tele bridge or humbucker is vastly superior for anything I'd use a bridge pickup for. Re: the Stratiness of Strats compared to a Nashville-style Tele, there's also the hollowness of a proper Strat to take into account. There's lots more wood missing than a Tele. They sound very different unplugged and resonate in a different way. Something to take into account.

Devtron wrote:
Conversely, the bridge pickup an the neck angle/action combined with that (IMO [and the opinion of most luthier and tech I know]) godawful trem are the exact reasons why I can't play strats.

See above re: bridge pickup. Replace with basically anything else. Re: the trem, are they talking 6-screw or 2-point? 'Cause there is a difference. I live with a reasonably well set-up 2-point and locking tuners, largely because I hate locking trems. I don't divebomb or anything, so it's passable. Doesn't have the vibe of a Bigsby, which are far too fun. But I'm betting techs really hate those if they grouse about current American Strat trems.

Oh, and Happy Strat, Joey! :isay: And yeah, they're nice to have around for recording porpoises. The classic SSS Strat does a few things sonically that are annoying to coax out of other guitars. Keeping a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul (or equivalent) around for recording rocksounds is, IMO, just good sense.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:58 pm
Best Supporting Actress

Snaxocaster wrote:
chris_d wrote:

In fact, it is normally not even the 2 or 4 position that i generally find myself using this way on recoardings, but rather the middle alone or the neck. That in conjunction with pretty much every strat i have played having the action slightly too low so it gets interestingly plinky in the upper frets(which also affects the way chords ring and sound when fingered lower down on the neck), has meant that i just kind of have to get another strat i guess.

Understandable. As someone who spends most of their time on a very specific Strat, I make sure it's uncomfortable in other ways with beefier strings and a high action. Which, I suppose, has become a stereotypically Strat thing thanks to the Stevie Ray Vaughanabees. Re: SGs, neck dive. :red: Switching between Strats and Teles, while I suppose the Strat is more ergonomic, the weight and balance of the things seems broadly similar, so I find them fairly equal in comfort. If I really wanted ergonomics, I suppose I'd just play a PRS. :idk:

I've never been big on 2 and 4, but the middle and neck on their own make a Strat a Strat, the neck especially, IMO. Put whatever in the bridge; the stock bridge pickup sucks anyhow. A Tele bridge or humbucker is vastly superior for anything I'd use a bridge pickup for. Re: the Stratiness of Strats compared to a Nashville-style Tele, there's also the hollowness of a proper Strat to take into account. There's lots more wood missing than a Tele. They sound very different unplugged and resonate in a different way. Something to take into account.

Devtron wrote:

See above re: bridge pickup. Replace with basically anything else. Re: the trem, are they talking 6-screw or 2-point? 'Cause there is a difference. I live with a reasonably well set-up 2-point and locking tuners, largely because I hate locking trems. I don't divebomb or anything, so it's passable. Doesn't have the vibe of a Bigsby, which are far too fun. But I'm betting techs really hate those if they grouse about current American Strat trems.

Oh, and Happy Strat, Joey! :isay: And yeah, they're nice to have around for recording porpoises. The classic SSS Strat does a few things sonically that are annoying to coax out of other guitars. Keeping a Strat, a Tele and a Les Paul (or equivalent) around for recording rocksounds is, IMO, just good sense.

Both. 2-point is consistently better IME (that is what the reverend has, with locking tuners) but are still finicky. I am admittedly ham-fisted and hit the strings really hard, and also move around on stage a bunch. Even after a good setup and without even using the trem I can knock that thing out of tune. Not an issue on my indonesian teleish guitar wih a TOM bridge and cheap tuners.

For the techs, any trem is a pain in the ass. At least with bigsbys you might not fuck up the entire balance of the instrument and have to readjust string and spring tension. It doesn't help that Fender sends out strats from the factory with fucking abysmal setups 9/10. Floyd Roses are awful until they are properly setup, but then most people don't know how to use them and fuck them up again.

My tech set's up BTBAMs stuff, and has his hands on all sorts of fancy ass guitars (especially of the PRS variety). His favorite is still his bolt-on ESP Horizon from the 90's. His reasoning is he has kicked it across stage multiple times, and it refuses to break. Or even just play bad. It's a matter of practicality I suppose. Neither of us use trems, both of us use mostly bolt ons and we both tend to keep them simple as hell so they can't fuck up. It's like how I won't buy a bike I can't fix on the side of the road.

And once again I really don't use trems at all, so any disadvantage is a major knock to me because there is pretty much no advantages for me. I am unashamedly biased in this regard.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pendulous

Eh, well... for me, strats are home.

I learned to play on cheap strat knockoffs. Then my nice guitar was a Warmoth, ie custom shit that looks out there but really is a strat, more or less. I've branched out a bit from there but the strat is still where it be. It helps that I really like the native sounds they make.

http://nachtmuse.bandcamp.com/
http://vesication.bandcamp.com/
https://divideconquer.bandcamp.com/
(I also play in a band called Human Compost but our bandcamp is banned)

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]